PDA

View Full Version : Rocketing Prices, Tesco, Wick

nospaceinapug
01-Nov-12, 15:34
Went to do the weekly shop last night and couldnt get over the sudden leap in prices, some items being upto 60p more than the previous week! A few months ago I began doing alot more shopping in Lidl but there is still the odd thing you'd prefer from Tesco. I usually buy the same sort of items which is how I noticed the difference in price but someone elderly for example might not be so vigilant. Im all for an Asda in Caithness!

mi16
01-Nov-12, 16:17
if you dont like the pice then dont buy the goods.
Simples

Beat Bug
01-Nov-12, 16:23
I went down to the new Asda in Tain last week, and did a really big shop, mainly store cupboard items. Among the item I bought was a packet of runner beans, cost £1. Yesterday in Tesco, Wick, the same pack was £1.40. Needless to say I didn't buy any! I think one of the main reasons Tesco is getting more and more expensive I'd the fact that they have no competition! And I too am all for an Asda in Caithness. Or any other supermarket, just to be able to 'ring the changes'

mi16
01-Nov-12, 16:30
I went down to the new Asda in Tain last week, and did a really big shop, mainly store cupboard items. Among the item I bought was a packet of runner beans, cost £1. Yesterday in Tesco, Wick, the same pack was £1.40. Needless to say I didn't buy any! I think one of the main reasons Tesco is getting more and more expensive I'd the fact that they have no competition! And I too am all for an Asda in Caithness. Or any other supermarket, just to be able to 'ring the changes'

But there is competition.
We have the CooP and then the local butchers and greengrocers

nospaceinapug
01-Nov-12, 16:48
if you dont like the pice then dont buy the goods.
Simples

Obviously you dont have to eat....!!

mi16
01-Nov-12, 16:49
like I say, there are alternatives to Tesco

Beat Bug
01-Nov-12, 17:48
like I say, there are alternatives to TescoYes, there are other shops, bit only one big supermarket.

Skerries
01-Nov-12, 17:49
I recommend trying Wick Co-Op. Their own brand stuff is far better than the Tesco's and there are less phoney price reductions of 2p, etc.

starfish
01-Nov-12, 17:54
last time i was in the co op in wick it was dirty had no veg except 1 onion and the meat was grey so have not been back

ashaw1
01-Nov-12, 17:58
I've always found the Co op to be fairly expensive.

mrsC2011
01-Nov-12, 18:10
the coop has always been expensive and if u have no car its very pricey on taxis goin here there and everywhere i go to tesco as it has the stuff my family like and i no the layout of it we r a family of 5 and can get our weekly shop for just over £100 and thats with a list if we go without a list it can be so much more but i do agree that tesco do need some proper compation i would love asda to come up this way

Douglas Cowie
01-Nov-12, 18:18
Since the new manager has taken over the Coop has improved vastly, give it a try.

pmcd
01-Nov-12, 18:32
Lidl at Wick Retail Park has the freshest fruit and veg in town, a brilliant selection of German Christmas goodies - including proper Stollen and Lebkuchen - and a variety of new and exciting taste experiences. And because they're a "no frills" operation, the prices are keenly competitive. Not only that, it's light, bright, and the staff are very helpful and friendly. Utterly recommended and no, I don't have shares!

changilass
01-Nov-12, 18:37
We have Asda, Sainsbury and Morrisons not too far away, but must admit, I still do most of my shopping in Tesco as it generally works out cheeper.

I do occasionally go to the others just to see what they have on offer.

Sainsbury seems to have the best fruit and veg selection, also much fresher than the rest.

Morrisons is good for meat and fish.

Beat Bug
01-Nov-12, 19:39
Lidl at Wick Retail Park has the freshest fruit and veg in town, a brilliant selection of German Christmas goodies - including proper Stollen and Lebkuchen - and a variety of new and exciting taste experiences. And because they're a "no frills" operation, the prices are keenly competitive. Not only that, it's light, bright, and the staff are very helpful and friendly. Utterly recommended and no, I don't have shares!I usually stop off at Lidl first, as it's on my way towards Tesco. Sometimes I can get everything I need there!

essex boy
01-Nov-12, 19:54
But there is competition.
We have the CooP and then the local butchers and greengrocers

Is there a proper greengrocers in Wick? If so where?

mrsC2011
01-Nov-12, 19:58
no theres no a proper one but lidi does have the freshest and cheapest fruit and veg and it lasts longer than tescos or coop

mi16
01-Nov-12, 20:00
Is there a proper greengrocers in Wick? If so where? I have no idea, the beak will deliver from Thurso I think

golach
01-Nov-12, 20:01
Rocketing prices??? have you seen the price increases in Greggs lately??

captain chaos
01-Nov-12, 20:12
Find out if it is really cheaper to shop at Asda, enter some details from your Tesco reciept and if Tesco was more expensive then you get a voucher for the difference

https://www.tescopricepromise.com/

When you shop at Tesco, we'll check your basket against the prices at Asda, Sainsbury's and Morrisons*. If your comparable grocery shopping would have been cheaper there, we'll give you a voucher for the difference (up to £10).[/h]

mrsC2011
01-Nov-12, 21:41
I was going to mention the Tesco Price Check myself.

We use it immediately after every shop. It is very simple to do. All you need to give is your email address, clubcard number and then enter the till receipt details at the bottom of your receipt. You should get a reply email within 24hrs. If Asda, sainsburys or morrisons would have been cheaper you get a vouchers for the difference. Only problem is you need a printer.

Does work for online or instore purchases.

we have had between 2p and £2 back. Gives upto £10 back.

mi16
02-Nov-12, 10:12
I was going to mention the Tesco Price Check myself.

We use it immediately after every shop. It is very simple to do. All you need to give is your email address, clubcard number and then enter the till receipt details at the bottom of your receipt. You should get a reply email within 24hrs. If Asda, sainsburys or morrisons would have been cheaper you get a vouchers for the difference. Only problem is you need a printer.

Does work for online or instore purchases.

we have had between 2p and £2 back. Gives upto £10 back.

Well Tesco cant do much more than that can they?

secretsquirrel
02-Nov-12, 11:09
major supermarkets only compete on certain items ie milk, bread etc. What I do find funny in Tesco Wick is that you can buy branded items cheaper than Tesco's white label.

Koi
02-Nov-12, 11:21
I usually stop off at Lidl first, as it's on my way towards Tesco. Sometimes I can get everything I need there!

I go to Lidls for our shopping and only buy cat food from tescos. My cat is a fussy thing and if he wasn't i'd not need to go to tescos at all.

Glynsu
02-Nov-12, 14:46
I am beginning to hate being guided to the self service. If they want us to use self service more n more why not offer a tiny discount for using self service. After all it means we are saving them wages as we are doing the work.

nospaceinapug
02-Nov-12, 15:22
I tried to delete this after i posted it but didnt know how, thought i was moaning over nothing but im glad most of you agree. Yes there is the coop however the last time i was in there i was unable to get bread and a few other nessessities and had to queue at the fag counter along with half a dozen other people with trollys as none of the wandering staff would open a till. There are other places to shop i agree, and i know a few local grocery shops and butchers that have had to close because of Tesco which is wrong. "Every little helps" (themselves!!!!)

poppett
02-Nov-12, 16:54
Following an incident in Tesco where the team leader demanded I go to an unsuitable checkout (large trolley on a tandem checkout does not compute) and when I told her I was happy to wait she stamped her foot at me. The manager wasn`t interested in the incident right under his nose so I complained to head office. I have been told by them not to feel intimidated into moving and would advise in future Glyn you stand your ground.

mi16
02-Nov-12, 17:01
I tried to delete this after i posted it but didnt know how, thought i was moaning over nothing but im glad most of you agree. Yes there is the coop however the last time i was in there i was unable to get bread and a few other nessessities and had to queue at the fag counter along with half a dozen other people with trollys as none of the wandering staff would open a till. There are other places to shop i agree, and i know a few local grocery shops and butchers that have had to close because of Tesco which is wrong. "Every little helps" (themselves!!!!)

Tesco has not made anyone close their doors, they have had to close their doors because they were not competitive.

nospaceinapug
02-Nov-12, 17:49
Tesco has not made anyone close their doors, they have had to close their doors because they were not competitive.

A man running a family butcher shop cant really be expected to compete with a firm like Tesco, so yes I would say Tesco have made people close their doors. The quality that man in his butcher shop can offer compared to the processed rubbish on offer from Tesco is another matter

Vimto
02-Nov-12, 18:15
Now these days i really dont know where to go to get my shopping been put off a couple of place but still shop in them for other bits and bobs.

I remember going to lidls in Thurso one day and i had my milk tokens so i thought a nice couple of pieces of strawberrys and cream would be a nice pudding after dinner one day, But when i went to pick up the strawberrys i notices one or two a funny colour! so we put them back and got more but they were the same, We must have picked up at least five packets of strawberry's (but all of them were mouldy) :( so we decided how about some grapes but again at least 6 bags were all running with water and mould, they were stinking too. Also when i buy bread or rolls out of there the next day its mouldy :( Also once bought a carteen of milk out of lidls and the next day it was lumpy and off! Here for i have NEVER bought milk bread rolls or fruit or veg from lidls again. It could be different once this bakery opens but i never know

Tesco, I remember seeing a item (think it was duck with pancakes) in the cheap isle they wanted £5.95 for it but when i went around the freezer isle i seen the same product in there for £5 NOT Reduced! I do often do my shopping in tesco's Infact prob 99% of the time, but always always watch what am buying as had quiet a few bad shopping trips in there too

Co-op is dear but sometimes buy stuff fromthere cause if you want something decent then of course you have to pay.

I also recommend a morrisons or asda to come up.

mi16
02-Nov-12, 20:58
A man running a family butcher shop cant really be expected to compete with a firm like Tesco, so yes I would say Tesco have made people close their doors. The quality that man in his butcher shop can offer compared to the processed rubbish on offer from Tesco is another matter Surely it's the consumers fault, if they backed their local man with his quality produce he would still be trading.It's not the fault of tesco that he cannot compete, it's business.

mi16
02-Nov-12, 20:59
We have had morrisons previously and it didn't work for them.

starfish
02-Nov-12, 21:06
if you are talking about morrisons in wick i lead to beleive that they had to but so many stores from somerfeild some in not prime locations it was these that were later sold off , not because they were not making money but the fact morrisons did not want them

radiohead
03-Nov-12, 09:18
Tesco shuffle their prices round all year long, it is just at this time of year the reductions will be on more seasonal lines. They then have a price drive in the run up to Christmas and reduce loads more prices to make us think they are doing us a good deal.
As for the competition, the local butchers have good quality meat, priced accordingly. The CO-OP is dark, dirty and has some really unfriendly staff, but where can I buy fresh fish and veg in the town?
Bring on ASDA, had some info that in the first weeks it has caused Tesco a few headaches, and lots of price reductions.

Skerries
03-Nov-12, 11:15
the coop has always been expensive and if u have no car its very pricey on taxis goin here there and everywhere i go to tesco as it has the stuff my family like and i no the layout of it we r a family of 5 and can get our weekly shop for just over £100 and thats with a list if we go without a list it can be so much more but i do agree that tesco do need some proper compation i would love asda to come up this way

I have a family of four and a budget of less than £50 a week. I can manage this buying from the Co-Op and Lidl, but not if I used taxis.

Blondie
03-Nov-12, 13:04
Following an incident in Tesco where the team leader demanded I go to an unsuitable checkout (large trolley on a tandem checkout does not compute) and when I told her I was happy to wait she stamped her foot at me. The manager wasn`t interested in the incident right under his nose so I complained to head office. I have been told by them not to feel intimidated into moving and would advise in future Glyn you stand your ground.

So what was the outcome? Did you go to the self service or wait for a check out?

That self service is a joke. i dont mind using it for a few things but not a trolleyfull. I have found a lot of the staff in there very lazy when you ask for help with the exception of Jenny Cormack who imo is one of the best members of staff that they have in there.

poppett
03-Nov-12, 17:47
I stood my ground. After the second stamping of the foot I told the lady she had three choices, she could take my trolley to the checkout of her choice, put it up and pack it appropriately then I would happily pay for it, put the whole lot back on the shelves and I would happily shop elsewhere, or leave me in peace to put my stuff up whilst the person in front was being served, pack as it is scanned in the manner I like it done (not all the bags go into the house as soon as I get home). Funnily enough she chose to leave me in peace.

My incident happened in Thurso Tesco, but their herding to checkouts seems to be nationwide.

changilass
03-Nov-12, 18:23
I have a family of four and a budget of less than £50 a week. I can manage this buying from the Co-Op and Lidl, but not if I used taxis.

Please can you tell me how you do it as ours usually comes in somewhere between £100 and (as today) £150.

ashaw1
03-Nov-12, 19:20
The reason you are 'herded' to the checkouts is because each store is marked and possibly penalised on how long a customer is waiting to be served and how many people are in the queue.

nightowl
03-Nov-12, 22:51
Unfortunately prices are “rocketing” everywhere and its only likely to get worse. Gone are the days when the weekly shop prices hardly varied month to month. I think we should count ourselves lucky to have so many places to do our shopping. If we compare prices and find the cheapest buys or choose to do all the shopping in one store then it's our choice –at least we have a choice.
As to the quality of service, I have never been disappointed with any of our local shops.If you approach the staff in a courteous manner, then in turn, that is the way you will be treated. I cannot imagine that I have just been lucky in all my dealings with the supermarkets. Just yesterday,Friday afternoon, I had occasion to make inquiries at the customer service desk in Tesco. The young chap there could not have been nicer or any more help. But that was not an unusual occurrence, I have always been treated with respect. So as Christmas is rapidly approaching keep your wits about you, spend wisely and take advantage of some of the cracking bargains on offer.

poppett
04-Nov-12, 09:56
I know why they want to "herd" folks, but I am not cattle and shopping is traumatic enough without it ending in tears at the checkout.

Skerries
04-Nov-12, 16:01
Please can you tell me how you do it as ours usually comes in somewhere between £100 and (as today) £150.

Cook all meals from scratch. Avoid junk food and pre-prepared food. Avoid brand name products, look for reductions on the things you do need. If you have to buy nappies, switch to washable ones. I also buy almost no red meat. Buying in bulk also helps.

changilass
04-Nov-12, 16:10
I generally do cook from scratch, but no way would this house be worth living in if I didn't buy meat.

We already do use washable nappies (except when off on a jaunt).

Cannae stand cheap bread, tried baking my own but it gets eaten so fast that it negates any savings that could be made.

Only one out of 4 will eat any fat, so meat tends to cost a lot, ohhh and have you seen the price of fish lately. Costs more to have fish pie than fillet steak.

rob murray
06-Nov-12, 18:01
In Tain, we now have Lidl, Coop/s, tesco and now Asda !!!! Yet if truth be told Morrisons in Alness is possibly the most popular due to pricing and quality, there is a vast difference between what tesco dish up as fresh meat and what you get from Morrisons, also, Lidl = non branded quality !!