PDA

View Full Version : Cocker Spaniel Ear Problem

M Swanson
31-Oct-12, 11:12
Hi All,

I have a five year old, orange roan Cocker Spaniel, who I rescued aged 5 months. He has had a recurring problem with ear infections, which I'm told is not unusual in the breed. He's had one minor op' and is due for another tomorrow to clean it. I was wondering if any of you have had to deal with this painful problem and if you discovered any homemade treatment which has produced a good result? So far, the Vet's bills have been horrendous and although I wouldn't try anything different to help Alfie until this infection has cleared, I would like to take preventative action for the future. I've tried something called 'Thorn-It,' which helped a little, but would be interested in any other solution someone may be able to suggest. Thank you.

ladybird
31-Oct-12, 20:42
I have a Labrador who suffered from reoccurring ear infections and after numerous trips back and fore to the vet and being given ear drops, told to clean her ears etc, with no real lasting results I took her to another vet. She was prescribed Aurizon ear drops and after 2 weeks the infection had gone and her ears were like new again! She has had 1 mild infection in the last 5 or so years and my local vet then gave me the same drops and it cleared up really quickly. Her ears would be really red, inflamed and sore, poor poppet :0(

M Swanson
02-Nov-12, 20:48
For some while, I've treated Alfie's ear with CleanAural, until his ear ruptured and it's very important that it be kept dry. I haven't heard of Aurizon, Ladybird, but will mention it to my Vet for future reference. Thanks very much for the tip. Anything is worth trying, even if it only gives a little relief. Alfie was anaethetised yesterday, so the ear could be cleaned and a swab taken. We were up all night with him, because of the terrible pain after the strong medication wore off. Fortunately, he's now eaten a little and has slept most of the day. My other Cocker doesn't like the attention Alfie's getting and she's been a little madam all day. When I give him a steroid tablet, I have to pretend to give her one too, or she sulks. :roll: Who'd be a fella? :D

Blondie
03-Nov-12, 13:01
Has Alfie been given oral antibiotics?

M Swanson
03-Nov-12, 13:58
Yes Blondie, Alfie has been taking Cephalexin, antibiotic; the steroid Prednisolene and Tramadol for pain, for about three months. Although the antibiotic seems to make a little difference, it isn't curing the problem. We had to stop giving him them, seven days before last Thursday's op' and I don't honestly think it made any difference to his condition. We're pinning our hopes on the latest swab providing the clue to a cure. The Vet has told us that he's deaf in that ear. That we can live with, but he's still in pain today and at times cries pitifully. The only thing that gives some relief, is to massage his back, from neck to tail. A little tip given by Cesar Millan. It works. :) Have you had a similar problem with one of your pets, Blondie?

Blondie
03-Nov-12, 14:31
Just the once with my dog. Once we figured out it was his ear that was causing him pain after all sorts of xrays and tests, he started ear drops but these made it worse. Second lot of ear drops did the same. We ended up on a second course of oral antibiotics and that eventually sorted him out.

I feel for you, I know what that 2 or 3 weeks was like, when he couldn't sleep then we didn't either!

Hope you get good news from the swab and treatment to cure him, if not it may be worth getting in touch with liz on here. She uses a lot of herbal type products and swears by them.

M Swanson
03-Nov-12, 17:50
I'm pleased to read that your dog's problem was resolved Blondie. I'm hoping for better news on Wednesday, when we receive the results of Alfie's tests. We've been warned that it could take a year, or more, but we're of a positive disposition, despite the lack of sleep. :eek:

I'll certainly look out for Liz. I'm a great believer in the value of herbal remedies for both animals and people. I can't see any problem in combining orthodox treatments with herbal ones, where both can contribute much to a cure.

I've decided to change the food I give my two dogs and cat, from hereonin. I'm going to give them only homemade, nutritious meals. I'll discuss it with my Vet to keep him in the loop. I've spent some time, Googling about this and have been appalled at the contents of most tinned food and kibbles. The cereals they use to pad out the meals, could be contributing to Alfie's dire ear infection. I wish I'd thought of it earlier. Anything's worth trying.

Thanks for your kind words and helpful advice, Blondie. Much appreciated.

M Swanson
20-Dec-12, 18:13
Just to let you know that Alfie returned from a second, small op' yesterday and against all the odds, the hole in his ear has repaired itself. :D This means that he will be spared high-risk and painful surgery. As you can imagine, we are so relieved. :cool:

laguna2
20-Dec-12, 20:09
:D :D :D Great!

M Swanson
20-Dec-12, 23:36
Thanks Laguna. :cool: It was the best Christmas present I'll receive, for sure! :D