PDA

View Full Version : Christmas tree is poitically incorrect

rich
14-Dec-06, 20:20
To all Orgers. You want Political Correctness. Try this from Ontario Canada courtesy of CTV Broadcast network:

A Toronto judge has ordered a Christmas tree out of a provincial courthouse lobby, saying it's not an appropriate symbol to non-Christians.

A Christmas tree sits in Queen's Park, Ontario's provincial legislature, on Thursday.

The move by Justice Marion Cohen has upset staff, some of whom have called the decision stupid and insulting.

Cohen says she understands the tree has stood in the lobby at 311 Jarvis St. for years during the Christmas season, but in a letter to employees says non-Christians are "confronted" with the artificial decoration, which makes them feel "they are not part of this institution.''

The judge said it's inappropriate that a Christian symbol is the first thing visitors see when they enter the building.

A number of Christmas trees are on full display inside other public institutions, including at the Ontario legislature, Toronto City Hall and at Nathan Phillips Square. There are also trees inside the Old City Hall courts.

Staff at the 311 Jarvis St. courthouse were unwilling to comment on camera, but told CTV's Janice Golding they are disheartened. One man, who said the tree has been a Christmas tradition for decades, was infuriated when he learned of the decision.

Lawyers who work in the building were also upset and couldn't understand the reasoning.

"There's no reason why a Christmas tree can't be put wherever people want it to be. It's by no means an offense, I believe, to any religion," said one counsellor.

"I don't know that it falls upon judges to make decisions of that sort anymore than upon any other member of the public," added another.

The attorney general's office says there is no court or ministry policy that addresses this particular situation.

Cohen would not comment on camera.

The small tree has been moved to an administrative corridor off to the side.

Errogie
14-Dec-06, 20:47
Well of course no judge worth his salt would want to run the risk of being seen to become soft and mellow with this symbol of good will and forgiveness to all men next to his court.

We tried to set a good example to colonials with the figure of a sword waving and scales carrying Justice above the Old Bailey and what do we get, I ask you a Christmas tree! Bah humbug.

Oddquine
14-Dec-06, 21:09
I'd have thought that it would satisfy those western PC elements who seem to have hijacked our world and are trying to remake it to conform with their idea of equity by using the big stick.
Such a pity for them that the majority of non-Christians/agnostics/atheists who weren't bothered either way are now railing against their rank stupidity............in a lot of western countries!

rich
14-Dec-06, 22:49
Odquine, how nice of you to show up. You see we can both agree on something!

Oddquine
14-Dec-06, 23:27
Odquine, how nice of you to show up. You see we can both agree on something!

http://www.oddquine.co.uk/emoticons/roflmao.gif

With which part of what I wrote do you agree? http://www.oddquine.co.uk/emoticons/sunglasses2.gif

brandy
15-Dec-06, 08:41
*rotfl* a christian symbol of christmas??? are they stupid?
christmas trees have nothing to do with christian christmas! yet i have a lovley one in my living room that my boys took great delight in helping me decorate.. yet im not offended! im not pagan.. yet i love christmas trees and yule logs and all the celebrations! even took the kids to see santa!
and no way am i going to let HIM get all the points for the good pressies!
but they had a ball.. and not going to stand in the way of simple joy and happiness! that judge just needs to get the yule log outta their...

the nomad
15-Dec-06, 09:15
Now this makes me very angry. I am all for multi cultural societies where all creeds, colours and religions work together in harmony (take note of the word work) to many hand outs these days, but to remove a symbol of Christmas. [evil]

Right I am going to be very contentious, the UK is historically a Christian country, nobody can argue with that. Then I take offence to Mosques as they are not Christian.

The reality is I don't really give a damn, we give and take graces from different religions, as all should be welcome, so long as we work and live together in peace. :D

It's long past the time to draw the line under political correctness.

crashbandicoot1979
15-Dec-06, 11:04
This makes me mad too. I agree with the nomad - the west may be a multi-cultural society but we are predominantly christian and I'm sick of the PC Brigade panicking incase we dare offend the muslims and co by celebrating christmas. I don't have a problem with them celebrating their religion, plus if I went abroad to a predominantly (insert religion here) country, I would hardly expect them to change their traditions just because I happened to be in the vicinity.

And as Brandy said, the tree is pagan anyway :roll:

The world gets stupider by the day, I swear.

crystal
15-Dec-06, 14:33
*rotfl* a christian symbol of christmas??? are they stupid?
christmas trees have nothing to do with christian christmas! yet i have a lovley one in my living room that my boys took great delight in helping me decorate.. yet im not offended! im not pagan.. yet i love christmas trees and yule logs and all the celebrations! even took the kids to see santa!
and no way am i going to let HIM get all the points for the good pressies!
but they had a ball.. and not going to stand in the way of simple joy and happiness! that judge just needs to get the yule log outta their... i agree its just getting silly now theres no need for all this i have a lovly tree my self and i also enjoy decorating it :D

rich
15-Dec-06, 17:20
The tree has been reinstated! Provincial government stepped in.
Merry Christmas!

George Brims
15-Dec-06, 20:06
A similar incident occurred recently in Seattle. The airport was decorated with Christmas stuff, and a rabbi asked that a menorah be included somewhere also. The airport people said no and the rabbi grumbled he ought to sue them, and they panicked and took down all the Christmas trees. The rabbi was horrified, since he didn't want to be painted as the grinch. Anyway everything has now been put back up, and they're adding a menorah next year.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
15-Dec-06, 22:54
Said to my youngest,their thinking about banning Christmas trees.

He says,"Who cares about Christmas trees,as long as I get Ma Doctor Who toys"