PDA

View Full Version : Song lyrics found in drugs raid

Nwicker60
31-Oct-12, 08:58
Cannabis resin had street value of £2,800

THERE was no shortage of evidence for police who carried out a drugs raid on a remote Highland croft, Wick Sheriff Court heard yesterday.
They found significant quantities of cannabis resin and the lyrics to a song about selling the stuff, signed R. Barnetson...the same initials as Robert Barnetson, later charged with being concerned in the sale of the drug.
In the lyrics, R. Barnetson blamed God for making him a drug dealer and said it was the only job he could do.
he composer wrote –

“God must have a heaven for highland trash
Cos god set me up selling hash, selling hash”

Robert Barnetson, 41, of 29 Huddart Street, Wick, denies on indictment, being concerned in the supply of cannabis resin at West Yarrows Croft, in the south-east of Caithness, on October 14, last year.
However, defence solicitor, John McGeechen, suggested that R. Barnetson, was a different person, a musician and a song composer.
Evidence agreed by the Crown and the defence, about the raid on the croft, acknowledged the amounts of cannabis resin, scales and cash recovered by the police.
The lyrics sheet was a production in the prosecution case and emerged when one of the officers involved in the raid, Detective Constable Kevin Byrne, gave evidence and read out the 10 verses.
Referring to God, R. Barnetson wrote in the local dialect-

“He planted eh seed that grew eh weed
Which made us all get oot oor heeds, oot oor heeds”.

Other verses ran-

“Am doing alright for highland trash
Am doin alight cos am selling hash”.

“I’ve spent all my life on eh brew
Cos there aint naa work for eh likes of me, for the likes o me”

I diny care whit people think of me
Cos my names black Barnetson fay pulteney (a district of Wick).

D.C. Byrne confirmed the song sheet had been recovered from a camper van, at the croft and that it had been signed R. Barnetson, March 05.
Defence solicitor Mr McGeechen asked Mr Byrne if he knew a Richard Barnetson and the officer replied ‘he knew of him’.
Further questioned, Mr Byrne said he had no idea that Richard Barnetson was a song writer and played in a band.
Replying to a suggestion by Mr McGeehen that a number of vehicles at the farm indicated that it was a car lot, Mr Byrne replied that he didn’t think so.
Mr Barclay pursued the point saying: “There were no sale prices on the windscreens, no men in overalls or the usual garage facilities?”
Mr Byrne: “No”
Mr Barclay: “If it was a used car lot, it was a well kept secret and they were not selling many cars.”
Mr Byrne: “No”.
Earlier the jury learned from the agreed evidence that items recovered from the croft and a camper van included eight, taped bars of cannabis resin, a tub of brown resin, a scales and almost £2000 in cash. When searched at the police station, the accused was found to have £102 in his possession.
Another police witness, D.C. Michael Donn, who prepares evidence for the courts on behalf of Northern Constabulary said that he had “no hesitation”in stating that the “significant seizure” of cannabis resin recovered from the croft, was destined for “onward supply”.
He estimated that the total of 793 grams of cannabis resin recovered, would have realised a total of £2,835 in individual street deals.
The trial, before Sheriff Andrew Berry and a jury, continues.