PDA

View Full Version : How do you heat your home?

Saveman
14-Dec-06, 18:31
How do you heat your home?
Winter is upon us and fuel prices are up.

This is a poll to see how we're all keeping warm.

changilass
14-Dec-06, 18:37
You missed the option for central heating via a woodburning stove.

Having said that luckily it is a multiburner so gonna have to start on coal soon cos I'm running out of wood :D hint hint anyone??

Orger
14-Dec-06, 18:37
OH its got to be Oil Heating for me, its ace. nearly instant heat after the click of the button..
Price was not too bad the last time i filled the tank, not sure how much exactly.

But i hear that the price is going to be going up ^. Anyone no how much for 1000 litres..

Errogie
14-Dec-06, 19:42
I still cut and burn peat together with logs and coal when necessary.
There are two heats in coal and the wood!

changilass
14-Dec-06, 19:47
Would love to burn peat, where can I get it from

Fran
14-Dec-06, 19:53
I have a gas fire and gas central heating but I also use a halogen heater in the kitchen when I dont have the heating on. they are cheap to buy ,give out a lovely red glow and heat, are very safe and under 3p an hour to run. the cat loves it.

mums angels
14-Dec-06, 20:22
Town gas central heating - very cheap and heats up very quickly and our house holds in the heat great. I would never want anything else:D

emszxr
14-Dec-06, 20:28
we have oil central heating and a coal fire and a woodburning stove. some times we do have them all going at same time. luckily we have tonnes and tonnes of wood which is free, just a shame oil and coal isnt.

mr do dar
14-Dec-06, 21:16
in our home we have oil heating and its good . but i would love to have a coal fire again . it just makes it feel like home more . with the red glow and the heat that comes off it .

scotsboy
14-Dec-06, 21:35
Ours is cooled not heated ;)

DarkAngel
14-Dec-06, 21:46
I have got Oil heating and i got my tank filled up with 1200 ltr oil in October and it was just over £300 :)

r.rackstraw
14-Dec-06, 22:48
We use our own peats and wood plus some coal to fire one rayburn and one stove. Also 2 electric storage heaters just ticking over - but these give you most heat when you don't want it - in the early morning.

ice box
14-Dec-06, 23:06
Another one you could add to the list is the new heating system by the distillery (C.H.P) Caithness heating power .

Wellies
14-Dec-06, 23:52
Peats, coal and storage heaters. Peats are definately the best. They are lovely for christmas.

crystal
15-Dec-06, 01:03
nothing beats a classic coal fire ...wish i had one lol

WeeBurd
15-Dec-06, 02:13
Total Heating Total Control.

DOn't get me going on the cost, Saveman, I'll never stop moaning...[lol] !!

plumber
15-Dec-06, 09:18
We have oil, far better and cleaner than solid fuel that we did have

squidge
15-Dec-06, 11:45
charnwood Multi fuel boiler fire thing that keeps the house warm by heating radiators

lelebo
15-Dec-06, 13:24
Hi there - where do you buy your oil from? My oil in August cost almost 400 for 1000l !!

dozerboy
15-Dec-06, 13:43
Log fire - powered from off cuts from a local saw mill - which I get free. But electric fires in other rooms just now.

DarkAngel
15-Dec-06, 18:48
Well our oil from SImpsons in October cost us £312 for 1200 ltr...The price had dropped as we were usually amore than that!

badger
15-Dec-06, 19:28
Oil ch plus one gas fire from a bottle but it's never very warm so thermal undies and lots of layers plus jumping up and down occasionally. Nothing like having a Watchman in the kitchen with the numbers going down to make you keep the thermostat low - very scary.

lexie
15-Dec-06, 19:31
Total heating with total control for us

sweetheart
17-Dec-06, 17:55
The oil fires the rayburn, the coal/peat the solid fuel stove for cold months with an electric radiator or two to fill in if necessary.

Its too bad that nobody makes an economical central heating system for coal/peat that is self loading and continuously firing... the makework of cleaning fireplaces and lighting fires costs any money saved by not using oil... unless one's time is free.

It would be very eco-green to use 100% peat in future, but the only solid fuel stoves i've seen with a conveyor are from canada, not designed for residential use. I realize that peat is not the fuel for everyone, but if it is all around you, and you have peat cutting rights, it is clearly the fuel that takes the least other fuel to deliver to one's home.

Naefearjustbeer
18-Dec-06, 11:36
I have 6 illegal immigrants in the garage chopping logs for the fire to keep me warm ;) :D

topotheuk
18-Dec-06, 13:57
Oil CH. Sometimes too warm, but almost instant heat. I got 500 ltrs last month and it was about £159 from Scottish Fuels.

Through
18-Dec-06, 14:46
I get on my cycle trainer. That heats the home all right. I'm also trying to work out how to connect it up to a generator and supply my own power.

Whitewater
23-Dec-06, 16:28
We have oil central heating, excellent. However, I hear very good rerports about the new community system which is being installed in Pultneytown.