PDA

View Full Version : Soya beans and breast cancer risk??

Rheghead
29-Oct-12, 20:45
Does anybody have any views on eating soya beans and any health risks with breast cancer? It seems to me that there is a lot of pseudo-science knocking about on the internet about this. One report from 2001 linked soya with breast cancer purely on the basis that oestrogen is chemically similiar to certain chemicals in soya like isoflavones. But another report in 2006 states that women who eat soya regularly have a reduced risk because the isoflavones possess nonhormonal properties that are associated with the inhibition of cancer cell growth. Confusing?

Another thought that entered my head was that I was under impression that oestrogen was present in ordinary milk but nobody is telling women to not drink milk.

sids
29-Oct-12, 21:31
Women- don't drink milk!

There you are: somebody's telling 'em now.

Kenn
29-Oct-12, 22:13
Have to agree Rheghead it is confusing , I tried doing some research on soya and came up with very conflicting information.
I was trying to find out why it produces an allergic reaction in me, never did get non contradictory advice so just avoid it.

George Brims
29-Oct-12, 22:34
The grand thing about the internet is that if you Google long enough (and it often doesn't take long) you can find something to support just about any idea.

jamesy2205
29-Oct-12, 22:38
If you read any of the papers, every day,without fail, there will always be two articles, one stating "X Gives you cancer" and "Y prevents cancer". A year later, those X and Y will switch. There is always some scaremongering, and then posts such as this, start to cycle the myth "Oh i read on .org last night that soya gives you cancer".

I perhaps wouldn't go on two reports; one 11 years old, the other 5 years old.

Tristan
31-Oct-12, 05:30
Like grains, nothing but poison....especially when you consider they are all heavy GMO.

Scunner
31-Oct-12, 11:09
I've had breast cancer twice and NEVER eaten soya - and still here to tell the tale - 20 plus years on

ducati
31-Oct-12, 19:26
I found once that Motorcycles break your ankles but it hasn't happened since so I guess it was just an anomoly. :eek:

George Brims
01-Nov-12, 19:49
Forgot to mention this before. A lot of women have been advised that eating soy products can help with the symptoms of menopause, presumably due to the estrogen-like things it contains. A friend of my Mrs tried this and her blood pressure (already dodgy) went through the roof. Her doctor told her to check the label on the packet or can for any soy based foods. Apparently soy is so bland and tasteless that food manufacturers tend to add a LOT of salt to make it tastier.