PDA

View Full Version : Four Supermarkets - but for how long?

Saveman
14-Dec-06, 17:29
So we have Somerfield, Coop, Lidl and now the lovely Tesco!

If you visit each of these in turn, at the right time, you can purchase more than a weeks shopping for silly money.

I bought about £40 worth of stuff for £15 the other night(hey I'm on a budget ok?;))
I'm guessing Tesco has loads of cheapy stuff cos they overstocked and everywhere else has loads of cheapy stuff cos everyone is going to Tesco!

But it can't last forever, its not good business and someone is gonna suffer.

Who is going to go first?

MGB1979
14-Dec-06, 17:33
Somerfield - 4/6
Co-op - Evs
Lidl 2-1
Tesco 50-1

Mamabear
14-Dec-06, 17:35
Somerfields by the looks of things , in my opinion, there is nobody in there when I have been in . Tesco was busy yesterday afternoon, I predict Lidls to stay trading as its still the cheapest in town for a lot of things.

Orger
14-Dec-06, 17:59
Somerfields by the looks of things , in my opinion, there is nobody in there when I have been in . Tesco was busy yesterday afternoon, I predict Lidls to stay trading as its still the cheapest in town for a lot of things.

Yea i say so too, Somerfield doesnt look so busy any more, cark space are empty most of the time.
As for the Coop i think it will be open for good, its always busy in my opinion. Great food to, and quite cheap..
Lidls will probably be open for a while also, they have the cheap stuff, which im not a fan of at all.

I rather the Coop or Tesco's myself...

crashbandicoot1979
14-Dec-06, 18:01
Probably Somerfield, but I LOVE shopping there just now. Its so quiet that I can get round the place in a few minutes (and thats the Somerfield in Thurso, BTW).

MadPict
14-Dec-06, 18:26
Guess you should change your name to "Saverman" ;)

Saveman
14-Dec-06, 18:36
Boom Boom! ;)

We all love a bargain!

98elite
14-Dec-06, 18:45
When Tesco's arrived in Dingwall, Somerfield didn't last long.

danc1ngwitch
14-Dec-06, 18:51
are we going to grow bigger with all the cheap stuffs. only so much we can eat surely.:roll:

zappster
14-Dec-06, 18:57
I reckon somerfields will be the 1st to go.Hope Lidls stays

scorrie
14-Dec-06, 21:06
Somerfield - 4/6
Co-op - Evs
Lidl 2-1
Tesco 50-1

Wow, that's a heavily tilted book. I'm not betting in your bookies LOL

I thought the supermarkets were the ones taking the eyes out of the punters!!

If you want some business you need to amend your prices to:-

Somerfield 4/6
Co-op 3/1
Lidl 6/1
Tesco 100/1

That's close to a 100% book, trim them slightly to give yourself a profit margin.

dirdyweeker
14-Dec-06, 21:23
Some of the Co-op staff (Wick branch) have already had their hours cut. Such a shame at this time of year too. I hope they survive.

Naefearjustbeer
14-Dec-06, 21:25
We are on the thurso side of the county and It wont bother me if somerfields have to shut up shop, I like lidls and co-op although the parking is bad at the co-op in thurso. We have not bought anything in somerfields since tesco has opened and dont plan to either. It has a poor range os stuff and isnt very well priced. Roll on Asda for Thurso I say

DarkAngel
14-Dec-06, 21:44
I hope that the co-op stays open!! Such a shame too see all the supermarkets go down hill due to Tesco bein here. I like all the supermarkets for different things. Suppose we cant have it all can we?! There will just be empty eyesores soon with they way the shops are going. :(

crashbandicoot1979
14-Dec-06, 21:46
I reakon the Co-op will stay - well, the one in Thurso will because its so central.

Haven't been through to Tesco yet - hear its worth a visit just to watch all the broon-balls fighting over the reduced stuff [lol]

wilma
14-Dec-06, 22:36
I reakon the Co-op will stay - well, the one in Thurso will because its so central.

Haven't been through to Tesco yet - hear its worth a visit just to watch all the broon-balls fighting over the reduced stuff [lol]
What is a broon-ball??????? :eek:

Mamabear
14-Dec-06, 22:52
It is a snooker coloured ball worth a total of 4 points Wilma, I assume that snooker is not your forte ?

wilma
14-Dec-06, 22:55
whats a snooker ball got to do with supermarkets????:eek:

connieb19
14-Dec-06, 23:05
What is a broon-ball??????? :eek:
nyaff or dachan. :lol:

sids
14-Dec-06, 23:54
It's Broon Bull and they were or are a particular family of former travellers.

Forget it, time has moved on.

EDDIE
15-Dec-06, 00:21
So we have Somerfield, Coop, Lidl and now the lovely Tesco!

If you visit each of these in turn, at the right time, you can purchase more than a weeks shopping for silly money.

I bought about £40 worth of stuff for £15 the other night(hey I'm on a budget ok?;))
I'm guessing Tesco has loads of cheapy stuff cos they overstocked and everywhere else has loads of cheapy stuff cos everyone is going to Tesco!

But it can't last forever, its not good business and someone is gonna suffer.

Who is going to go first?
the customer doesnt loose out its the supplyer and manufactuar that lose its them that are funding the buy1 get 1 frees thats the downside of it the supermarkets are that big they play one supplyier of with another and if the supplier doesnt play ball they lose out to the big contract and in some case go bust

MGB1979
15-Dec-06, 10:33
Wow, that's a heavily tilted book. I'm not betting in your bookies LOL

I thought the supermarkets were the ones taking the eyes out of the punters!!

If you want some business you need to amend your prices to:-

Somerfield 4/6
Co-op 3/1
Lidl 6/1
Tesco 100/1

That's close to a 100% book, trim them slightly to give yourself a profit margin.
Somebody takes their gambling seriously....[para]

mccaugm
15-Dec-06, 11:21
When Tesco's arrived in Dingwall, Somerfield didn't last long.

I occasionally shopped in the Somerfield in Dingwall before Tesco came along. Didn't like the atmosphere or the layout even then. (Lived in Ross-Shire at the time)

danc1ngwitch
15-Dec-06, 14:41
i dunno wot u all talking about but heres where i make a stand tread carefully as some may say this is indeed discrimination ... you woulda come on here and talk of coloured people in such a manner... no offence just saying my peace and in gentle simple words too :eek:

danc1ngwitch
15-Dec-06, 14:46
It's Broon Bull and they were or are a particular family of former travellers.

Forget it, time has moved on.
which also gave to its own history... different groups of travellers... they are a group or once was a group of people who would not sit back and allow their families to go into care.. if they had 15 children to look after and something happened they would care for the ones who needed. A once true breed... as for now well the younger ones dont hold the same quality

danc1ngwitch
15-Dec-06, 14:51

your talking about alot of people who are dead... is this allowed????? does it make it right to talk outta ignorance... ( just saying my peace on behalf of the elders that aint here to say " listen ta dat country slughe "

danc1ngwitch
15-Dec-06, 14:56
by the way no offence intended by my posts... sorry if i hurt anyones feelings in posting my thoughts..xx

paddy
15-Dec-06, 15:21
well said danc1ngwitch i found it offensive as im sure other people did,

Kaishowing
15-Dec-06, 15:27
Pardon my ignorance, but as I'm not a local born and bred, I have no idea what
nyaff or dachan means. Never heard the words before. There are quite alot of local terms which leave me truly stumped.
I'm not trying to trap anyone into being offensive...Just curious.

danc1ngwitch
15-Dec-06, 15:33
Pardon my ignorance, but as I'm not a local born and bred, I have no idea what means. Never heard the words before. There are quite alot of local terms which leave me truly stumped.
I'm not trying to trap anyone into being offensive...Just curious.

I ain't on a high horse i understand the words of the younger ones they say things without even knowing what they are saying.. I have heard younger ones call out dachan in the street to others and they have no clue to what really lies behind the word... another group of decent people... maybe not in everyones eyes but in their families yes they were. ( are ).

scorrie
15-Dec-06, 17:25
Somebody takes their gambling seriously....[para]

That's the only way to do it. Would you pay a fiver for a loaf if it was available for a quid elsewhere?

Tristan
15-Dec-06, 21:09
the customer doesnt loose out its the supplyer and manufactuar that lose its them that are funding the buy1 get 1 frees thats the downside of it the supermarkets are that big they play one supplyier of with another and if the supplier doesnt play ball they lose out to the big contract and in some case go bust

I have heard this argument before and I know there is an issue with all supermarkets and farmers. What I don't understand is shops can provide goods cheaper and I assume how suppliers can supply shops cheaper in other western countries both in Europe and across the pond?
Or are we the last group as part of rip-off-Britain to benefit?

EDDIE
16-Dec-06, 01:02
I have heard this argument before and I know there is an issue with all supermarkets and farmers. What I don't understand is shops can provide goods cheaper and I assume how suppliers can supply shops cheaper in other western countries both in Europe and across the pond?
Shops in general buy there stuff at retail price and then double the retail price to sell to the customer and when the shop offers u discount it 10 or 20 or whatever percentage of there mark up on the products u think your getting a deal when u get discount but ure not really the shop still makes profit but the thing is they need to have a good mark up to pay for wages building and so on

lin
16-Dec-06, 01:21
What about your wee corner shops in Wick, they will be feeling the pinch. No doubt a few of them will close in the near future. The price of progress I suppose.:~(

Tristan
16-Dec-06, 08:50
Shops in general buy there stuff at retail price and then double the retail price to sell to the customer and when the shop offers u discount it 10 or 20 or whatever percentage of there mark up on the products u think your getting a deal when u get discount but ure not really the shop still makes profit but the thing is they need to have a good mark up to pay for wages building and so on

I know that shops buy at wholesale and that they need their markup that is only fair.
Your earlier point was about shops hurting suppliers though. My question was why are prices so much higher in Britain than other western countries or has it been a combination of suppliers and shops ripping us off for years? With our strong pound imports should be cheaper and they are not. Someone somewhere in Britain is making a lot more money than their counterparts in other countries.

pentlander
16-Dec-06, 10:04

Sorry to shatter a myth but the mark up on groceries is closer to 25% than the 100% you suggest. This is gross margin also. Wages and all other expenses have to be paid from this profit. Other non food items ie electrical goods often work on a 50% mark up (ie half the value added again).
Most of the big deals seen in supermarkets are funded by the suppliers and enable the shop to maintain it's margain whilst lowering the price of the goods.

EDDIE
16-Dec-06, 15:35

I think thats a question for gordon brown

EDDIE
16-Dec-06, 15:39
Sorry to shatter a myth but the mark up on groceries is closer to 25% than the 100% you suggest. This is gross margin also. Wages and all other expenses have to be paid from this profit. Other non food items ie electrical goods often work on a 50% mark up (ie half the value added again).
Most of the big deals seen in supermarkets are funded by the suppliers and enable the shop to maintain it's margain whilst lowering the price of the goods.

There are some that have a 100% mark up maybey not supermarkets but definatly on companys that do repair work trust me