PDA

View Full Version : Northern Lights

Antediluvian
14-Dec-06, 16:24
After a significant coronal mass ejection on Tuesday evening there is a high probability of stunning Northern Lights over the next day or 2. Depends whether the magnetic orientation of the storm is attracted or repelled by the earths field, but if it attracts they are expecting high altitude ion storms over most of the northern hemispehere above the tropic of cancer, look up tonight!

http://www.solarcycle24.com/
http://www.gedds.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/

canuck
14-Dec-06, 17:39
Thanks for the headsup! We likely have too many city lights to be able to see anything, but I'll give it a look.

_Ju_
14-Dec-06, 17:53
I saw them....oh no, just clouds! ;)

I hope I get to see them tonight.....would be a first for me.

Antediluvian
14-Dec-06, 18:01
Yes unfortunately it depends on clouds, ambient light and whether or not the storm is captured. But with the right conditions it is expected to be stunning.

All aurora groups are on high alert and they have begun locking down power distributions systems across north america and powering down at risk satellites just in case.

Saveman
14-Dec-06, 18:08
Here's hoping the cloud clears long enough for us to see the show.

Thanks for the info Antediluvian :)

percy toboggan
14-Dec-06, 18:57
Does anyone know any websites which offer for sale good sized photos of the Aurora Borealis?

Antediluvian
14-Dec-06, 19:06
Does anyone know any websites which offer for sale good sized photos of the Aurora Borealis?

This is a good one

http://www.spaceweather.com/aurora/gallery.html

Wikipedia has dozens of links to aurora sites some of which have photo galleries

kas
14-Dec-06, 20:01

Also some local images here
http://www.highlandeye.com/gallery.asp?catid=24&x=8&y=6

Seabird
14-Dec-06, 22:19
The data shown on the SOHO Web site seems to indicate that there was probably a display between 6 and 7pm.
Needless to say unless you were lucky it was cloudy and raining in Caithness.
Did anyone get a glimpse ?

Colin

percy toboggan
14-Dec-06, 22:22
thanks to kas and antediluvian for the links.

Seeing the 'northern lights' is one of my wife's most cherished ambitions.
I'd quite like too en all.

porshiepoo
14-Dec-06, 22:24
I've never seen em either. :(
I think we need some kind of email warning to let everyone interested know lol.

I'm determined to see them at some point.

crashbandicoot1979
14-Dec-06, 22:25
Lived here almost all my life and never seen them - always too cloudy :~(

kas
14-Dec-06, 22:26
There is a glow (greyish with a hint of green) right now over Holborn Head. I went out the town but it is just a glow, no real colour or beams. I saw a shooting star though.

Keep them eyes open.

porshiepoo
14-Dec-06, 22:28
There is a glow (greyish with a hint of green) right now over Holborn Head. I went out the town but it is just a glow, no real colour or beams. I saw a shooting star though.

Keep them eyes open.

My daughter and I saw a shooting star Monday night in the Clyth area (obviously thats where we were, not the star lol).
Did you wish on it? I did, still haven't seen a horse appear in my firld yet theough. :~(

Antediluvian
14-Dec-06, 22:33
The peak of todays storm passed earlier, its a kpi 6/7. Predictions is it will intensify over the next 2 days and should become a kpi 9.

Lots of space weather sites have e-mail warnings to highlight potential aurora activity, worth singing upto if you want a heads up of when to look out.

Clouds is always a poblem though.

And hope your horse appears soon porshie!!

highlander
14-Dec-06, 22:36
Just went outside to check, nope its too cloudy at the mo, but will look again later, i think they are a fantastic sight, and once they were that bright, my dogs were having great fun chasing around the field trying to catch the lights LOL

kas
14-Dec-06, 23:50
Just went outside to check, nope its too cloudy at the mo, but will look again later, i think they are a fantastic sight, and once they were that bright, my dogs were having great fun chasing around the field trying to catch the lights LOL

Highlander look to Orkney now. They are glowing around the clouds.

r.rackstraw
14-Dec-06, 23:52
Northern lights showing now 10.50. Just a modest display but quite visible.

kas
15-Dec-06, 00:08
A nice green glow showing above the clouds. There is also lightning in the Pentland Firth, are the 2 linked or just a coincidence.

Tried to get photos but only managed a little green blob in the sky, its nothing like what it really looked like. I must learn how to work the camera.

topotheuk
15-Dec-06, 00:13
Just been driving home from the panto tonight and saw a lovely display of lights. Green dancing across the sky. Saw three shooting stars too, but can anyone tell me what the 3 flashes were I just saw in the last 10 minutes or so. Quite clear flashes?

kas
15-Dec-06, 00:18
Thats probably the lightning I have been seeing

topotheuk
15-Dec-06, 00:24
hmmmm, I didn't think it looked like lightning. It definately wasn't fork and I didn't think enought of the sky lit up to be sheet lightning, but I suppose it couldn't have been anything else, or could it?????

highlander
15-Dec-06, 00:25
FANTASTIC!!!!!! the colours are beautiful, get outside NOW

Antediluvian
15-Dec-06, 00:31
Auroral activity can induce electrical storms if the conditions are right

Too overcast here to see anything, am very jealous and hope you all enjoy it though.

Boozeburglar
15-Dec-06, 00:31
Thanks for the heads up. I will spend the rest of the evening in the garden, lying on my back.

Not through choice, I have just had one too many and can't get back from the shed.

topotheuk
15-Dec-06, 00:32
I keep popping out to my front door to see them, my hubby is going crackers cos I keep opening the door and letting the heat out. Hey, you only see them now and again so I think he can suffer a little, don't you!!

kas
15-Dec-06, 00:32
hmmmm, I didn't think it looked like lightning. It definately wasn't fork and I didn't think enought of the sky lit up to be sheet lightning, but I suppose it couldn't have been anything else, or could it?????

Maybe it wasnt lightning.They were flashes in the firth and since Orkney and Shetland were on a 70 % chance of Thunder and lighting tonight, I presumed that was what it was.

topotheuk
15-Dec-06, 00:39
I look onto the Firth on the Skarfskerry side, so maybe it was lightning. Off to have a cuppa and sit at my window to watch em before bed. g'nite

kas
15-Dec-06, 00:46
Just discovered the Geminids meteor shower peaks yesterday and today, so thats why there are so many shooting stars tonight.

Antediluvian
15-Dec-06, 01:10
Just watching the current auroral oval and it looks like there is much more activity forecast over the coming few hours.

Interestingly another solar flare has just occurred which could add to this storm and keep it going into next week.

And there's the end of the meteor shower, isn't the sky great!

highlander
15-Dec-06, 01:17
Tried to get a photo of it, all i got was a black screen lol must be very expensive cameras they use to get that great photos, OHHHHHHH SANTAAAAAAA lol

Geo
15-Dec-06, 09:55
Here is a nice article about taking pictures of aurora, with exposure times etc at the bottom: http://www.ephotozine.com/articles/viewarticle.cfm?id=66

For anyone who missed them last night I have some other Northern Lights pictures (not taken by me!) on my website: http://www.hookeslaw.com/caithness.htm . Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the small pictures for a bigger version.

Last night was a great show; northern lights, shooting stars and lightning in the distance!

groatsgirl
15-Dec-06, 10:07
Northern Lights were great around 11pm last night !! But it was soooo cold ,only managed to stand outside for 15mins before running back in to the fire !!!!! But well worth a look !!

DarkAngel
15-Dec-06, 11:01
I also seen this aswell..Mostly green..I live in the country and they were quite clear although the sky was a little cloudy. Didnt see 3 flashes as went inside as i was shivvvvvvering with coldness!!! Brrr!!

Ricco
15-Dec-06, 11:49
Here is a nice article about taking pictures of aurora, with exposure times etc at the bottom: http://www.ephotozine.com/articles/viewarticle.cfm?id=66

For anyone who missed them last night I have some other Northern Lights pictures (not taken by me!) on my website: http://www.hookeslaw.com/caithness.htm . Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the small pictures for a bigger version.

Last night was a great show; northern lights, shooting stars and lightning in the distance!

Geo, thanks a lot for those links. I have been trying to learn how to take night shots with my new camera (thanks, Santa) and getting nowhere. Maybe now I will make some progress. :D