PDA

View Full Version : Little England

piratelassie
28-Oct-12, 20:39
There,s a programme on TV called Brave Brits in little England. What does that tell you.

tonkatojo
28-Oct-12, 20:57
There,s a programme on TV called Brave Brits in little England. What does that tell you.

There are some"brave" Brits in little England. So ?.

bluechesse
28-Oct-12, 20:58
There,s a programme on TV called Brave Brits in little England. What does that tell you.That there must be absolutely NOTHING on tv tonight for you to resort to watching that.

sids
28-Oct-12, 21:00

Watch it and you'll know, better than by asking here.

John Little
28-Oct-12, 21:21
There,s a programme on TV called Brave Brits in little England. What does that tell you.Dunno. What does this tell you?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/little-scotland-village-wants-to-vote-1403252

gleeber
28-Oct-12, 21:28
Dunno. What does this tell you?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/little-scotland-village-wants-to-vote-1403252
Thats pure class.

golach
28-Oct-12, 21:37

That there are ex-pats in England that do not like Eck and his gang of liars either

piratelassie
28-Oct-12, 23:10
Britain is refered to as England by far too many people south of the border, thats what it b----y well tells you, and if that does not annoy you then it ought to, unless your from south of the border of coarse.

Kenn
28-Oct-12, 23:20
But if you are south of the border you are in England.
Now I am sure that I have watched programmes made in Scotland for scottish viewers and surprise.surprise some of them make across the border, I don't hear howls of protest over that.

John Little
28-Oct-12, 23:21
Salt and vinegar with that slice of prejudice anyone? Careful. - your mask is slipping.

petstop30
28-Oct-12, 23:40

that's funny I thought it was called "Little England" and is about brave "Brits" which as far as I am aware people from England qualify as being, so what exactly is your problem?

changilass
28-Oct-12, 23:42
Dunno. What does this tell you?

It tells you folks want their cake and to eat it too.

cptdodger
28-Oct-12, 23:46
Britain is refered to as England by far too many people south of the border, thats what it b----y well tells you, and if that does not annoy you then it ought to, unless your from south of the border of coarse.

Since when? I lived in England for years, London, Kent and Lincolnshire to name a few areas. And I have never, ever heard anybody (that is English) refer to Britain as a whole as England, why would they ?

fred
29-Oct-12, 00:06

Come off it, next you'll be telling me they refer to parts of France as England as well.

Kenn
29-Oct-12, 00:52
Keep up fred did you not know we fought the french for a hundred years over this or so the rumour mill says.

piratelassie
29-Oct-12, 03:10
In the 1050s even some hjstory books refered to the Brittish Isles as England. I am old euough to remember them.
Since when? I lived in England for years, London, Kent and Lincolnshire to name a few areas. And I have never, ever heard anybody (that is English) refer to Britain as a whole as England, why would they ?

sids
29-Oct-12, 07:43
Keep up fred did you not know we fought the french for a hundred years over this or so the rumour mill says.

Who's "we?"

bcsman
29-Oct-12, 08:00
Well im not sure about those books but i have heard some Americans getting confused about England being the whole of Britain
I also have been spending alot of time in Kent this year and i have never heard anyone refer to England as being the whole of Britain.

In the 1050s even some hjstory books refered to the Brittish Isles as England. I am old euough to remember them.

John Little
29-Oct-12, 09:23
I believe Fred is referring to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_England_(TV_series)

So, believe it or not, is the OP.

John Little
29-Oct-12, 09:43
It tells you folks want their cake and to eat it too..

Scots folk?

Or mudbloods who don't get a say because they moved in search of work?

Kenn
29-Oct-12, 09:50
lol sids, the yeomen of olde england !

tonkatojo
29-Oct-12, 13:34
Come off it, next you'll be telling me they refer to parts of France as England as well.

Are you getting a bit confused with "Brittany".

outsidethebox
29-Oct-12, 13:42
news alert!

There are Brave Brits in little England
There are also brave scots in little england
are little englanders in scotland
and brave brits in scotland
and brave scots in wales
and little whales in the Moray Firth
and andy murrays in wimbledon
and wombles named after scottish island towns

... oh thank you nurse, medication time

sids
29-Oct-12, 13:52

Yeay she's quite little.

tonkatojo
29-Oct-12, 15:03
Yeay she's quite little.

what bit of Brittany you lookin at ?

fred
29-Oct-12, 19:12

No.

The little England referred to in the original post is in Dordogne, France.

catran
29-Oct-12, 21:09
Goodness gracious thought little England was in Caithness

sids
29-Oct-12, 21:36
Goodness gracious thought little England was in Caithness

That's Geiselittle England.

bcsman
30-Oct-12, 09:37
How do you know and how many people south of the border do you know?
Ive heard plenty of people north of the border refer to England as Englandshire as if its some obscure county in Scotland.

porshiepoo
30-Oct-12, 13:52
Not this old load of rubbish again! Seriously?
Personally I could not give a stinking fart what English refer to Britain as or what Scottish refer to Britain as. Come to think of it I could also care less what Welsh or Irish refer to Britain as. We all ruddy live here, whether it be 'up here', 'down there' or 'over there', it's all part of Great Britain and this habit that some people have of turning every small possible thing into yet another perceived slur by English is flaming boring now.
Do you have nothing better to do with your time?

Just for the record Piratelassie, I am English born & bred. I consider myself British above anything else and I have been living in Scotland for 9 years and I can honestly say, 100%, hand on heart, no word of a lie that no English person I have ever grown up with, known or mingled with has EVER referred to Britain as England.
In fact, also for the record, before moving here I was not aware of any real animosity between the Scots and the English. Any perceived animosity between English & Scots was not taught in our schools and was not encouraged around the private family table (unlike up here). You see, in England they prefer to get on with important things in life and NOT dwell on inferiority complexes.

Gronnuck
30-Oct-12, 14:08

Will someone please help piratelassie lift thon chip frae hur shoulder!

sids
30-Oct-12, 18:37
I could also care less what Welsh or Irish refer to Britain as. .

The expression is "couldn't care less."

George Brims
30-Oct-12, 18:46
The expression is "couldn't care less."
Isn't it grand? All this discussion about England/Scotland/Britain and porshiepoo starts talking American!

piratelassie
31-Oct-12, 00:06
Iam Scottish not Brittish and the sooner I can have Scottish on my passport the better.

John Little
31-Oct-12, 00:09
Passport! Better not leave. Oddquine will have yer vote away from ye.

golach
31-Oct-12, 00:15
Iam Scottish not Brittish and the sooner I can have Scottish on my passport the better.

You can buy them in toorist gift shops here in Auld Reekie already, they are a joke and will be

shazzap
31-Oct-12, 00:22
Not this old load of rubbish again! Seriously?
Personally I could not give a stinking fart what English refer to Britain as or what Scottish refer to Britain as. Come to think of it I could also care less what Welsh or Irish refer to Britain as. We all ruddy live here, whether it be 'up here', 'down there' or 'over there', it's all part of Great Britain and this habit that some people have of turning every small possible thing into yet another perceived slur by English is flaming boring now.
Do you have nothing better to do with your time?

Just for the record Piratelassie, I am English born & bred. I consider myself British above anything else and I have been living in Scotland for 9 years and I can honestly say, 100%, hand on heart, no word of a lie that no English person I have ever grown up with, known or mingled with has EVER referred to Britain as England.
In fact, also for the record, before moving here I was not aware of any real animosity between the Scots and the English. Any perceived animosity between English & Scots was not taught in our schools and was not encouraged around the private family table (unlike up here). You see, in England they prefer to get on with important things in life and NOT dwell on inferiority complexes.

Well said.

petstop30
31-Oct-12, 00:32

Oh so what does it say on your passport now?..................that's British then is it, I think you should get used to it or wait till you can have the chip removed from your shoulder on the NHS

Moira
31-Oct-12, 00:35

Brave Brits are everywhere, even in Caithness. I'm not sure what your point is....

You're obviously unique. I hold a British passport. I was born in Scotland.

I'm still not sure of your point.

cptdodger
31-Oct-12, 00:47
As I previously said, I lived in England for years, in a lot of different places. I can honestly say I was never made to feel unwelcome in any of these places because I was Scottish. Certainly, when the World Cup, and other tournaments took place, there was a lot of ribbing about how bad Scotland performed, but there was no malice, and it was always good natured. And like Porshiepoo said, there was no animosity between us. Then I moved back to Scotland, and it was during the 2006 World Cup, I first came across the hatred some of the people I worked with had for the English, one of the English matches was being shown where I worked at the time, and the comments that were being made, well, I would not repeat on here, I asked one of them if it was the team, or English people in general, she hated she said it was English people in general, not realising until I told her, my partner, and children are English, and told her in no uncertain terms I took extreme offence to her racist rantings. I have never been so embarrassed to be Scottish as I was then. So, piratelassie, it's because of people like you I consider myself to be British first, then Scottish - but only because I have to admit I was born here.

bcsman
31-Oct-12, 06:35
well said cptdodger

As I previously said, I lived in England for years, in a lot of different places. I can honestly say I was never made to feel unwelcome in any of these places because I was Scottish. Certainly, when the World Cup, and other tournaments took place, there was a lot of ribbing about how bad Scotland performed, but there was no malice, and it was always good natured. And like Porshiepoo said, there was no animosity between us. Then I moved back to Scotland, and it was during the 2006 World Cup, I first came across the hatred some of the people I worked with had for the English, one of the English matches was being shown where I worked at the time, and the comments that were being made, well, I would not repeat on here, I asked one of them if it was the team, or English people in general, she hated she said it was English people in general, not realising until I told her, my partner, and children are English, and told her in no uncertain terms I took extreme offence to her racist rantings. I have never been so embarrassed to be Scottish as I was then. So, piratelassie, it's because of people like you I consider myself to be British first, then Scottish - but only because I have to admit I was born here.

bcsman
31-Oct-12, 06:44
Piratelassie? is there any reason why you are so against Engand and the union,is it really because you think some people south of the border refer to Britain as England or is there some hidden agenda here?

catran
31-Oct-12, 19:23
what on earth?Scotland on one's passport, surely there are more important issues.

piratelassie
31-Oct-12, 21:26
No hidden agenda,just believe Scotland would flourish when we are indedendent and free of the Westminster restrictions
Piratelassie? is there any reason why you are so against Engand and the union,is it really because you think some people south of the border refer to Britain as England or is there some hidden agenda here?

Flynn
31-Oct-12, 21:49
No hidden agenda,just believe Scotland would flourish when we are indedendent and free of the Westminster restrictions

I think you'll find there are quite a lot of English people who feel exactly the same about Westminster.

fred
31-Oct-12, 22:11

That seems like a good reason for you to vote yes at the referendum or even to campaign for independence by explaining why you have those beliefs.

However it doesn't explain posting anti English propaganda to a forum in an attempt to incite hatred of the English people.

Gronnuck
31-Oct-12, 22:16
Just a thought..... Piratelassie wants a Scottish passport. If Scotland does gain independence I suppose this will mean a whole new passport department will have to be set up so that everyone in Scotland who wants one can have one,:confused. Oh hang the expense; we can pay for it out of our oil,;).

petstop30
31-Oct-12, 22:31
No hidden agenda]

no you hatred for anything/anyone south of the border is certainly not hidden!

essex boy
31-Oct-12, 22:52
I have kept of Caithness.org for a while because of certain people turning, what seems to be, every thread into a political racist rant. I had hoped that as Corrie3 has been suspended it may have stopped. How wrong I was!

M Swanson
31-Oct-12, 23:54
I have kept of Caithness.org for a while because of certain people turning, what seems to be, every thread into a political racist rant. I had hoped that as Corrie3 has been suspended it may have stopped. How wrong I was!

I have read some 'rascist' rants on the forum, Essex, but in my experience, it has been helpful to look deeper into who is being so abusive and what factions they 'claim' to speak for and who they actually do support. After all, do you think such people are interested in selling their message with the hope of encouraging others to follow them in their 'rascist' beliefs? I believe the opposite is often true. I tend to support the theory that it's more an exercise to stifle debate and silence all genuine, reasonable, and legitimate concerns, by intimidation. Not all trolls are who they pretend to be, in my experience.