PDA

View Full Version : What's in a name?

Lolabelle
14-Dec-06, 13:31
I was just reading scorries thread "You couldn't make it up"

And I was thinking how so many people with really weird or awful names end up with really prominent positions, either in politics or in the public eye.
It made me wonder if perhaps they had suffered so much persecution as children that they became over achievers (not sure if that is really the word I am looking for, but you know what I mean) and have risen above the unfortunate name and gone onto be successful in thier chosen field.
What do you think?
We have a politition whose name is "Richard Head"! I am not joking!

Mamabear
14-Dec-06, 13:34
A girl I used to work with was named Iona Cock , poor girl, she suffered for that as youd imagine

Through
14-Dec-06, 14:23
There are plenty of Grucocks and Maycocks about and those names must make for interesting school days. There are lots of other names that can be put in uncomfortable contexts.

I was just reading scorries thread "You couldn't make it up"

And I was thinking how so many people with really weird or awful names end up with really prominent positions, either in politics or in the public eye.
It made me wonder if perhaps they had suffered so much persecution as children that they became over achievers (not sure if that is really the word I am looking for, but you know what I mean) and have risen above the unfortunate name and gone onto be successful in thier chosen field.
What do you think?
We have a politition whose name is "Richard Head"! I am not joking!

The thing about coincidences is that they happen so often. Look at how often there is an aircraft crash and then another and another within days. A few years ago Indonesia couldn't keep out of the news. They had civil disorder, forest fires, serious life threatening smog, an earthquake and a collision at sea; all within weeks.

As well as happening often, things like this also catch your attention and thereby emphasise the occurrence.

peedie man
14-Dec-06, 14:43
this reminds me of a story about the salvage of the german fleet in scapa,there was a firm called Danks & Cox that sent a team up,they went to their digs and the old wifie asked how many was there,they said that there was 4 of them without cox,she replied the war was a terrible thing

MGB1979
14-Dec-06, 15:07
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/2005-11-02-cybercrime-prevention_x.htm

grantyg
14-Dec-06, 16:48
Christopher peacock is alive and well in a school in falkirk - however there is a note for the teachers not to call him chris!

Also a girl woith the classy name of California ------- wait for it McAdam.

And I do believe there is a Pochahontas lurking somwhere too!

paris
14-Dec-06, 18:30
what about Wayne kerr,yes i did go to school with someone by that name. jan x

Antediluvian
14-Dec-06, 18:50
I recruited a comms guy by the name Lee Long Cock.

Theres a town in Newfoundland called Dildo, check it out put "Dildo, NF" into maps.google.com

Lolabelle
14-Dec-06, 21:49
There is a town near here called "Whataknoby",some of the newcomers wanted to change the name as it was not a name they wanted to be assosiated with. I am glad to say that the locals fought it in court and the town remains "Whataknoby". It's original and adds a bit of local colour.

crystal
15-Dec-06, 00:54
there is a good friend of mines mum whos maden name was fagg also this brings up a story i no about a rich cople who had 2 daughters and there last name was hogg and because they dident want there daughters to grow up snobs they named one ima and another ura so their names were ima hogg and ura hogg feel sorry for them lol

grantyg
15-Dec-06, 01:00
Isn`t there an old tale about a set of twins called mannie and wifey???????????

crystal
15-Dec-06, 01:07
Isn`t there an old tale about a set of twins called mannie and wifey??????????? yes i think so i vaigly remember that one

Antediluvian
15-Dec-06, 11:51
This story has appear in ananova regarding the residents of Fjuckby who are now campaigning to have it changed after they have become an "International Laughing Stock"

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2119142.html?menu=news.quirkies

JAWS
15-Dec-06, 12:20
I once came across somebody with the name Kermode. He changed it to Smythe shortly before he married. Now I wonder why that was?

Saxo01
15-Dec-06, 12:54
I remember the thats life program showing a letter that had been delivered to a Mr A. R. Sole whether such a person existed i can't remember