PDA

View Full Version : tunnel

jay
02-Feb-05, 17:01
I have just been reading in todays Daily Express about an idea for a "proposed" Orkney- Caithness tunnel. Wouldn't that be great? it would open up allsorts of tourism and trade opportunities for Caithness. propbably never happen tho!

linzy222
02-Feb-05, 17:05
I heard it on the news the other day and it will cost something like 20million to build it or was it 50million not sure, wasn't interested coz like u said "Probably never happen"

But it would be good coz u know what the sea is like in the winter and the boats get cancelled

I want to go to orkney but i won't go on the boat so i am hoping it will happen!!

Mr P Cannop
02-Feb-05, 17:12
if it does happen we will all be able to go to orkney every day all the time

jay
02-Feb-05, 17:14
they say 52 million to build but they are currently needing 63million to repair piers and harbours....

kenimac1
02-Feb-05, 17:24
Has somebody got the wrong calender? Its not April Fools day on mine!!

EDDIE
02-Feb-05, 21:57
Its not a tunnel you need its a dual carriageway to inverness lol

~~Tides~~
02-Feb-05, 22:35
Apparently it would cost about £5000 per meter. Considering how great it would be to each county's ecconomy each year, the meters would pay for them selves...

captain chaos
02-Feb-05, 22:35
And he disclosed that the Executive had already provided an extra £13.4 million in public subsidies to the company since it began trading, bringing the total investment in taxpayers’ money to £31 million in the last 18 months.

Add to that the £14 million plus for Scrabster terminal
£20 million for the Orkney terminal and the tunnel could have been built.

When you consider that the taxpayer (us) subsidises Northlink to the tune of almost £10million a year a tunnel makes more and more sense.

Riffman
03-Feb-05, 11:18
yeah, but a tunnel would mean that all those juicy tourists would go straight past our beutiful caithness..... :~(

Rheghead
03-Feb-05, 16:06
That will be no loss! They do anyway :lol:

EDDIE
03-Feb-05, 17:19
Some how cant see a tunnel being made in our life time but if i did it would probably orkney would gain more out of it in the long run but it would certanily create more jobs and be good for the caithness econemay when its getting built and would probably increase the tourist rate the tunnel would be some land mark in itself.
How strange would that be if you were working in orkney full time and living in thurso traveling back and fore everyday to work?