PDA

View Full Version : Caithness Glass Building

Kingetter
14-Dec-06, 03:03
Though I posted a version of this in the 'New Shops' thread, I believe it warrants its own space.

I do not know what the future is for this building - no doubt someone will see fit to either tell me or point to where that information can be found, but here's my thoughts on the subject.
I've not been in often and am not too sure of the internal layout - a plan would be quite helpful.
I would like to see the Caithness Glass building become the Centre for Tourism with Museum facilities.
There'd be ample room to retain a cafe, and a 'shop window' for crafts and skills which will vanish from Caithness unless supported.
Shuffle through the archives and messages to do with such skills etc have been posted.
Caithnessians themselves will know well just what such crafts and skills are and here would be an opportunity for Caithness to demonstrate same. It could lead to work as a spinoff and there are likely to be other advantages which I've not even considered yet, but would enjoy hearing about.
Close to the airport and town centre, also quite handy for visitors off cruise ships, I think it would be a grand location, and make good use of a building which housed Caithness skill and endeavour, something to be proud of.

bluebell
14-Dec-06, 03:29
Does anyone know if there is a fly tying company in the glass factory? if so any info

compo
14-Dec-06, 06:34
all thats there at the moment is hallkirk biscuits and barr construction. and the council are planning to move there.

Alice in Blunderland
14-Dec-06, 08:02
It would be lovely to see the glass factory in use again as it is an excellent site for what has been suggested, you could even try to encourage some sort off glass making on a smaller scale. I note from a post that the council are planning to move people out of the building...is this to make room for their own new offices ? ...if some of the people are correct with their predictions of doom and gloom there will be plenty of free shop space in the town centre for them to keep everything more centrally located ;) As this area of the town looks set for further development it would be a shame not to cash in on the ability to pull from the passing customers going to Tesco and whatever else may eventualy appear out beside it. A few smaller businesses under one roof would be good for each other and with a nice cafe it would and could be a good starting point for some smaller craft businesses.