PDA

View Full Version : Online Bullying

pumkin
23-Oct-12, 19:22
I want to hear people's views about online bullying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_of_Amanda_Todd

I feel that with the expansion of technology, & the now everyday reality of social networking sites, online bullying has to be looked upon as happening & dangerous.

Alrock
23-Oct-12, 19:37
Bullying is bullying no matter where it happens or who is doing it.

pumkin
23-Oct-12, 19:43
Bullying is bullying no matter where it happens or who is doing it.

Of course it is bullying no matter what. But we are in the technological age now, & bullying today comes in different forms than 10+ years ago.

mi16
23-Oct-12, 20:44
I want to hear people's views about online bullying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_of_Amanda_Todd

I feel that with the expansion of technology, & the now everyday reality of social networking sites, online bullying has to be looked upon as happening & dangerous.

online bullying is recognised already, I am not sure what the purpose of this thread is

pumkin
23-Oct-12, 20:53
online bullying is recognised already, I am not sure what the purpose of this thread is

Because, IMHO, online bullying seems to be the rage these days. Look at what Adele is going through via Twitter.

I, personally find the story of Amanda Todd very sad.

What can be done to stop online bullying?

Rheghead
23-Oct-12, 21:02
What can be done to stop online bullying?

privacy controls? I know on Facebook and Twitter that it is possible to block bullies from getting in touch.

Ballymore
23-Oct-12, 21:02
Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me...NOT SO!
The said word hurts from the bully but the written word has more sting in it as it is you as the victim who reads it. The cyberbully is a coward hiding behind what they think is total annonymity - computers can be traced.

Having been a victim of bullying from a work colleague and suffered the consequences I can empathize with Amanda Todd and what she went through before she took her life. All forms of bullying should be punishable - prison, hjefty fines, job loss and the victim should get proper psychological support.

mi16
23-Oct-12, 21:18
you are far more open on the net, once something is in the ether then its there, the spoken word can be denied.
Bullying is a terrible thing, these social networking sites are by far the worse for the cyber bullying.
I dont do facebook or any of these sites, when my kids want to get facebook or whatever I will try to ensure that I have access to their pages.

From my experience the best bet in bullying is to take the ringleading bully on head first, 9 times out of 10 they are not so tough when it comes down to the crunch and even if they are you are respected for standing up to them.

pumkin
23-Oct-12, 21:53
Ballymore, I'm sorry to hear of your work related troubles. I had a friend who at nearly 40, was getting bullied at work. He had to find another job in the end.

What I'm more trying to get at is, Online Bullying. The proper term is known as Cyberbullying. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberbullying)

The legal definitions of Cyberbullying is as follows;

1) actions that use information and communication technologies to support deliberate, repeated, and hostile behavior by an individual or group, that is intended to harm another or others.

2) use of communication technologies for the intention of harming another person

3) use of internet service and mobile technologies such as web pages and discussion groups as well as instant messaging or SMS text messaging with the intention of harming another person.

mi16
23-Oct-12, 21:55
Ballymore, I'm sorry to hear of your work related troubles. I had a friend who at nearly 40, was getting bullied at work. He had to find another job in the end.

What I'm more trying to get at is, Online Bullying. The proper term is known as Cyberbullying. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberbullying)

The legal definitions of Cyberbullying is as follows;

1) actions that use information and communication technologies to support deliberate, repeated, and hostile behavior by an individual or group, that is intended to harm another or others.

2) use of communication technologies for the intention of harming another person

3) use of internet service and mobile technologies such as web pages and discussion groups as well as instant messaging or SMS text messaging with the intention of harming another person.

Cyberbullying should be dealt with in the same manner as physical bullyiing, tackle the ringleader head on and face to face

pumkin
23-Oct-12, 22:01
Cyberbullying should be dealt with in the same manner as physical bullyiing, tackle the ringleader head on and face to face

That's how I & several others would deal with it. But how are you meant to do this when the person is unknown to you?

Lets look at the second definition;

Use of communication technologies for the intention of harming another person.

That ever happen on the .org?

Phill
23-Oct-12, 22:06
Cyberbullying should be dealt with in the same manner as physical bullyiing, tackle the ringleader head on and face to faceSadly with online / cyber bullying finding the perpetrator can often be difficult.
Whilst I quite agree, if confronted I reckon many would be reduced to wibbling wrecks in short order.

mi16
23-Oct-12, 22:09
I know htis is not the case in many situations but personally speaking if I didnt know who they were then I would not take one bit of notice of them, bullies usually go away also if they do not get the response they are after.

Southern-Gal
24-Oct-12, 05:21
Online bullies should be traced immediately. After going to court and being found guilty their computers and other gadgets should be taken off them and sold at auction. They should also have their internet connection removed for a set period just like a driving ban. I am sure after having gone through the inconvenience and expense of this they would think twice before embarking on another campaign.
It is not so long ago that stalking was not taken seriously.

bcsman
24-Oct-12, 07:28
Online bullying is a problem that needs to be sorted,agressive,degrading and negative comments can be harmful to the victim.
I have been called slanderous names(racist and bigot)on this very website so i know what its like to be targeted.

pumkin
24-Oct-12, 08:30
Online bullying is a problem that needs to be sorted,agressive,degrading and negative comments can be harmful to the victim.
I have been called slanderous names(racist and bigot)on this very website so i know what its like to be targeted.

Yes I know the feeling. On this website, too.

mi16
24-Oct-12, 09:17
There is a difference between freedom of speech and bullying though.However out of interest what are folks thoughts on when a heated debate crosses the line to become abuse?

squidge
24-Oct-12, 09:33
I have had several messages sent to me calling me names like whore and other sexual insults as a result of being vocal and writing articles about social issues and political issues which have been picked up by various websites. Is it bullying? I sort of think its an occupational hazard and would consider it a bit of a "slagging off" if it was done face to face. I'm not behind the door in standing up for myself but I have found in every case that those who have posted this sort of message block their own profile so you cannot reply. Cowards! I report them and block them and try to keep my profile private. If it was a big issue or frightening me or if it was persistent then I would go to the police but it doesnt impact on my daily life so I just ignore it.

Phill
24-Oct-12, 09:43
I think it worth bearing in mind that whilst it is still not justified, there is a difference between (what is generally) adults on here having a 'debate' or robust discussion which descends into name calling and bickering, from the types of unsolicited anonymous but often deeply personal abuse that is meted out to kids and young teenagers online.

Those of us armchair professionals, of whatever discipline(s) we elude ourselves too, putting ourselves out there are exposing ourselves to name-calling, banter, abuse, bullying or childish nonsense depending on ones viewpoint.
However young people trying interact on social networking sites who then get caught up in often very intimidating and personal attacks is something quite different.

Part of the problem is a generation of kids using PC's / internet etc. have parents with little or no knowledge of the internet, internet safety and / or the knowhow to monitor or block certain sites. Couple this with the youthful ignorance of putting too much personal info online and you have a recipe for disaster.

squidge
24-Oct-12, 10:39
My comments on how to deal with the danger of internet stuff is as follows....

Watch what your children are doing online. Dont allow internet access in bedrooms - only in family spaces. Check what your kids are doing online whether that is on their computer or on their phone. Only allow them facebook pages, twitter etc if they add you as a friend and watch their profiles. Talk to your kids about it, if there is something that is worrying you about any of their profiles or their friends profiles then let that friends parents know or the school know. Example might be if you clicked on something on your childs facebook which took you to another childs page and it was clear that the page was completely open - you might speak to the childs parents to let them know or to the school to ask them to remind kids about privacy and online safety or to the child themselves if they are round your house.

Talk about everything. Dont allow locks on doors only the bathroom should have a lock in a family house, dont allow meals to be eaten in rooms. Dont allow passwords on phones unless you know them too. If you havent seen your child for a while go find them and make them interact - take them shopping make them do chores - fight - talk - have coffee whatever is your thing.

This might make some people roll their eyes but snoop - if they leave their email logged in - read it - if they leave their phone lying around check their messages, check history and make it your business to be as IT literate as your kids are. You can let the kids know you will do this if it makes you feel more comfortable I told mine that I was their mum and it was my job to snoop - they still forgot to log off and to close things down before they went to bed and I took full advantage of that. If they say they are off to stay with a friend then make it a habit to phone the friends parents and check its ok and to thank them the following day so that the child knows they cant lie to you.

There is a limit where you would stop snooping of course - my big lads are 17,22 and 23 and whilst I still check the younger one although less often than i used to... I dont the older ones.

If there is evidence of bullying or something else that you arent happy about then talk to your child, talk to the bully's parents if they are known to your child - if not contact the school or the police. Help your child to block and delete profiles and stay off the site where the bullying is going on. Teach your child resilience - its one of the best tools they can have and research suggests that people who are more resilient are less likely to be bullied, more likely to be happier, healthier and live longer.

Its our job as parents to keep our children safe and we should make sure we are on top of any internet nonsense that is going on.

mi16
24-Oct-12, 10:41
I think it worth bearing in mind that whilst it is still not justified, there is a difference between (what is generally) adults on here having a 'debate' or robust discussion which descends into name calling and bickering, from the types of unsolicited anonymous but often deeply personal abuse that is meted out to kids and young teenagers online.Those of us armchair professionals, of whatever discipline(s) we elude ourselves too, putting ourselves out there are exposing ourselves to name-calling, banter, abuse, bullying or childish nonsense depending on ones viewpoint.However young people trying interact on social networking sites who then get caught up in often very intimidating and personal attacks is something quite different.Part of the problem is a generation of kids using PC's / internet etc. have parents with little or no knowledge of the internet, internet safety and / or the knowhow to monitor or block certain sites. Couple this with the youthful ignorance of putting too much personal info online and you have a recipe for disaster. Nail on head phill great post

ducati
24-Oct-12, 10:54
Yes I know the feeling. On this website, too.

It is surprising how many orgers start arguments, then later start threads about bullying. :roll:

pumkin
24-Oct-12, 12:53
It is surprising how many orgers start arguments, then later start threads about bullying. :roll:

Do you know an orger who has started an argument? Only later to start a thread about bullying?

pumkin
24-Oct-12, 13:06
ducati, that type of sarcasm can be taken as a gesture of bullying. Rolling of the eyes, big ! marks giving a shouting impression, stating they know you & your family & where you live, these things are intimidating to people. Would you not agree?

pumkin
24-Oct-12, 14:30
Another very popular form of cyber bullying is the use of two or more people, cornering you in a thread. This happens on the .org all the time. I've been subject to it & it's no different than two or more people cornering you in person. Shouting in your face, CHANGING YOUR WORDS (people saying you said this & that when you never), MIXING YOUR WORDS (quite blatantly twisting your words), speaking aggressively towards or about you, the list goes on.

So, does anyone else find this "cornering" tactic distressing? Exactly who does monitor these pages when things like this are going on? I've seen many threads where I felt a Moderator/Administrator should've jamp in. Either to close the thread, or just to say, "cool it, or this thread is getting closed".

ducati
24-Oct-12, 15:11
Do you know an orger who has started an argument? Only later to start a thread about bullying?

Yes I do. Very recently. ;)

bcsman
24-Oct-12, 16:14
so true pumpkin,twisting your words and trying to say things you never said and then trying to get other people to gang up against you,its the mark of a bully.

Another very popular form of cyber bullying is the use of two or more people, cornering you in a thread. This happens on the .org all the time. I've been subject to it & it's no different than two or more people cornering you in person. Shouting in your face, CHANGING YOUR WORDS (people saying you said this & that when you never), MIXING YOUR WORDS (quite blatantly twisting your words), speaking aggressively towards or about you, the list goes on.

So, does anyone else find this "cornering" tactic distressing? Exactly who does monitor these pages when things like this are going on? I've seen many threads where I felt a Moderator/Administrator should've jamp in. Either to close the thread, or just to say, "cool it, or this thread is getting closed".

Alrock
24-Oct-12, 17:24

OK... Just to make thing clear to me before I respond... Are you talking about this thread... http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?189455-Drug-policy-review?

pumkin
24-Oct-12, 17:28
OK... Just to make thing clear to me before I respond... Are you talking about this thread... http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?189455-Drug-policy-review?

I'm talking about several threads. As well as the global cyber community.

Alrock
24-Oct-12, 17:35
I'm talking about several threads. As well as the global cyber community.

& is this one of them?
Are you accusing me of bullying you?
I'm just asking because if you are I'd like to take this opportunity to defend myself & if not then I must apologise for assuming that you consider having a difference of opinion as bullying.

pumkin
24-Oct-12, 17:47
me bullying you?

Were you? On that thread I mean.

Alrock
24-Oct-12, 17:54
Were you? On that thread I mean.

No... I wasn't....
Just like I'm not being bullied on this thread... http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?189780-People-trespassing-on-your-land-at-night-without-permission... It is just a case that none of the other contributors agree with my opinion & they are entitled to disagree...

pumkin
24-Oct-12, 18:09
It is just a case that none of the other contributors agree with my opinion & they are entitled to disagree...

It should be as simple as this, but it never is.

Alrock, you're no angel. That first thread you linked, you were stirring trouble, especially towards the end. Not that I'm accusing you of being the ring leader, because you certainly weren't, but you caused trouble when you didn't need to.

squidge
24-Oct-12, 18:12
So this thread is not about cyber bullying, its a thread for pumkin to complain because he or she is not happy about the way they have been treated. What a disappointment

pumkin
24-Oct-12, 18:17
So this thread is not about cyber bullying, its a thread for pumkin to complain because he or she is not happy about the way they have been treated. What a disappointment

Just what I was thinking when I read this.

Another form of the inter web bullying would be use of blasphemes language, along with the demand to answer a personal question. Why does anyone feel that they have the right to ask a personal question, only to react with rage - & then to demand an answer! - when the person opts not to answer the personal question?

Alrock
24-Oct-12, 18:21
Just what I was thinking when I read this.

Another form of the inter web bullying would be use of blasphemes language, along with the demand to answer a personal question. Why does anyone feel that they have the right to ask a personal question, only to react with rage - & then to demand an answer! - when the person opts not to answer the personal question?

If that personal question is relevant to the discussion then it is justifiable to ask it.

weezer 316
24-Oct-12, 18:45
Oh deary me.......deary deary me.

billmoseley
24-Oct-12, 18:48
i might be being a little naive but can't most of the bullying that goes on within the internet can be ignored with a click of a button. there is also a huge difference between real life bullying. you are not forced to come on the web and read stuff while in real life situations you have to be in certain places ie work, school etc. i do find it hard to understand why people keep going back for more on the web

Alrock
24-Oct-12, 18:59
i might be being a little naive but can't most of the bullying that goes on within the internet can be ignored with a click of a button. there is also a huge difference between real life bullying. you are not forced to come on the web and read stuff while in real life situations you have to be in certain places ie work, school etc. i do find it hard to understand why people keep going back for more on the web

Maybe you can ignore it with a simple click & yes, nobody is forced to come on the web, but, anybody has as much right to be there as anybody else, they shouldn't be denied that right through bullying.

billmoseley
24-Oct-12, 19:06
i agree with what your saying Alrock but most serious cases of cyber bullying have on social network sites which you befriend people on so why not just block them. they will soon get bored talking to themselves surely. Bullies feed on reaction so to ignore them starves them of pleasure.

Phill
24-Oct-12, 19:09
In the case of the yoof of today, a large part of their lives involves social websites, Facebook etc. and a wagon load of texting / tweeting etc. And to keep up with their peers it is a case of a 'must have'.
This is where the cyber bullying comes in, and in the case of the young girl in the OP's original post, included real life bullying.

If you have a young teenager who has insecurities and they just want to 'fit in' they will want to be part of these social websites and be accepted by their peers. Throw a few personal and nasty comments, email, tweets, messages etc. at them anonymously attacking their looks, weight, acne, glasses or whatever and it's as bad, if not worse than real life.

billmoseley
24-Oct-12, 19:19
i see your point and suppose i'm looking at it though a 50 year old eyes. maybe it's parents took more of a direct interest on what their kids are saying and doing on these networks. easier said than done i know, but i feel we have failed the younger generation in letting them live their lives in cyber space.

Phill
25-Oct-12, 15:19
Here's an interesting one:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20082493

Home Office official advises using fake date of birth on social websites to protect yourself, MP says this is potentially criminal!

What do you do?

billmoseley
25-Oct-12, 17:45
i think it's a good idea there are very few sites that need your real details

mi16
25-Oct-12, 21:10
Just when I thought we had a new decent topic of conversation, it becomes clear that the thread is being driven by folk with an axe to grind with other orgers.

Phill
25-Oct-12, 21:56
i think it's a good idea there are very few sites that need your real detailsIt's part of being 'net savvy' and thinking about the info that you can put in and then allow to be available. It also helps prevent phising frauds etc. I've never entered my correct DOB on a website, even Banking sites generally don't ask for it. Generally it's optional or it is to try and verify age for legal reasons.
However for social networks, like the ones used by some that fall victims, the other people (inc bullies) will know who you are by virtue of the way the sites work. What needs to be checked is things like entering mobile numbers and personal email, and how public you make this.

Again, these are things parents need to be aware of.

billmoseley
26-Oct-12, 13:53
Just when I thought we had a new decent topic of conversation, it becomes clear that the thread is being driven by folk with an axe to grind with other orgers. i'm confused as we seem to have been sticking to the thread and i nor phil or alrock have said anything about any in our exchanges

bcsman
26-Oct-12, 14:40
i'm confused as we seem to have been sticking to the thread and i nor phil or alrock have said anything about any in our exchanges
I think he is on about his own axe,which seems to be pretty blunt at the best of times,he is trying to chop people's legs off to bring them down to his level,anyone that can stand up on their own two feet against him