PDA

View Full Version : Question about coal.

Tc4
01-Feb-05, 22:58
I have an enclosed fire the coal we used to get up until a few months ago would burn good and 1 large bucket would last around the better part of a day.

say top it up about 8pm and it would last untill about 7pm the next night....the coal i am getting now does not last near as long if i really have to put double the ammount of coal in the fire to get it to last as long. Also the coal tends to leave a hard crust in the bottom of the grate which looks like it was molten then solidified this never used to happen.

My question is has anyone else with an enlosed fire come across this issue?

Is it just because the time of year? Colder weather and all?

Are there diffrent types of coal i could try in an enclosed fire?

Cheers

Tc4

gravedigga
01-Feb-05, 23:21
I know someone who was saying exactly the same as you the other day so you're not the only one it would seem

apollo69
01-Feb-05, 23:35
Same problem - it either burns up in no time or goes out. And the price has gone up twice in a few months [mad]

bird
01-Feb-05, 23:36
Maybe the time of year is something to do wae it - when there's a good wind, I'm sure the fire burns hotter and this leaves more solid stuff in grate?!

Could try different coal quality or, if you think the stuff you're getting from coalie is poor, make a complaint!!!

squidge
02-Feb-05, 11:06
Is it smokeless or coal?

I switched to chinese anthracite and its burning better than the stuff i used to have

linzy222
02-Feb-05, 15:58
I switched to chinese anthracite and its burning better than the stuff i used to have

I have always used that chinese stuff and i have never had any problems with it, i think its great for the closed-in fires,and still lit good in the mornings!!

£11.70 a bag tho, thats the only problem, but worth it in the end, i use 2 or 3 bags a week, depending how cold it is

Tc4
02-Feb-05, 19:20
Its chinese anthracite we use and also £11.70 a bag but the quality of it seems to have gone down hill big style.

Rheghead
03-Feb-05, 02:28
Linzy222 wrote
£11.70 a bag tho, thats the only problem, but worth it in the end, i use 2 or 3 bags a week, depending how cold it is

WOW, I burn wood in my wood burning stove. I get 22 coal size bags for £31 and that was before Xmas and I am still using it.

squidge
03-Feb-05, 11:28
WOW, I burn wood in my wood burning stove. I get 22 coal size bags for £31 and that was before Xmas and I am still using it.

over the weekend I keep the stove topped up with wood but its no good for overnight burning the chinese anthracite works a treat but i do use quite a bit

linzy222
03-Feb-05, 11:45
Linzy222 wrote

Where do u get that from?

Does any1 know where u can buy peat from??

Any1 got a phone number??

Cheers

Linzy

alice
15-Feb-05, 17:27
linzy
Don't know where you could get peats but if you are looking for logs you could always try John Green from Wick, he used to have the taxis and now he has the ice cream van. Logs are good and not a bad price

badger
16-Feb-05, 17:26
This isn't very helpful but a friend of mine mentioned recently that the fuel they had been using - and I can't remember what it was called but it was one of the furnacite/anthracite types - is no longer available because the UK manufacturer has gone bust. They were pretty upset and looking for a substitute.

ullevi
16-Feb-05, 17:31
Go for chinese doubles good long term burner in my opinion get it from Hunters coal top quality service from Michael

lhm
17-Feb-05, 22:00
Badger tell your friend try bruce lindsay coal they seem to have a bigger range of fuels than most and the guys there are very helpfull