View Full Version : Man stabbed friend over rumours

22-Oct-12, 17:07
Consequences could have been much worse - sheriff court hears
Campbell Freeman was yesterday jailed for twenty-seven months for stabbing a friend he believed had been spreading rumours about him.
Passing sentence at Wick Sheriff Court, Sheriff Andrew Berry told the 48-year-old that the consequences of his actions could have been “much worse”.
The court heard that Freeman had been drinking when paid John Goodbrand a visit at his home in Ormlie Road, Thurso, on June 30. Mrs Goodbrand told her husband who was at the door, but after he realised his visitor had a knife, tried to close the door and a tug-of-war ensued.
However, Freeman managed to get it open enough to put his arm through, and stabbed Mr Goodbrand on his left hand.
Freeman appeared from custody and admitted the assault on indictment. The court heard that Mrs Goodbrand telephoned the police and Freeman, who lives in Thurso, but was listed as a prisoner at Inverness prison, was arrested. Mr Goodbrand was taken to hospital and had stitches inserted in the cut which he was advised by medical staff would leave a scar.
Solicitor George Mathers said that Freeman, who has a record, claimed Mr Goodbrand had been spreading rumours that “something was going on” between the accused and Mrs Goodbrand, and this was what had sparked the incident. Freeman had denied any involvement with her.
Mr Mathers told the sheriff, who saw a background report, that the rumours had upset the accused but had only taken the knife with him to back up a warning to Mr Goodbrand, to stop spreading the rumours. It was unfortunate that Freeman appeared to be unable to control his drinking which was a consistent factor in his record, although the assault was uncharacteristic of his previous convictions. Freeman had been "completely shocked" afterwards, at what he had done to a man who had been a friend, up until that point.
Sentencing Freeman, Sheriff Berry said that it was only the accused himself who solve his drink problem. Freeman had received many kinds of support from the court but a prison sentence was the only appropriate one, in this case.
The jail sentence was backdated to July 2 when Freeman was arrested.