PDA

View Full Version : Do people really write resignation letters like this?

Phill
20-Oct-12, 19:46
Or do they generally keep them shorter with more expletives scribbled on the back of a beer mat and then tied to a brick before delivery?
(or is that just me??)

Clearly these were well drafted to include some mutual backslapping whilst actually failing to apologise for abusing the feds but really, does anyone ramble on like this when you telling your boss to shove it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20012435

"Andrew Mitchell's letter
Dear David,
It is with enormous regret - not least because of the tremendous support and loyalty you have shown me during recent weeks - that I am writing to resign as your chief whip.
Over the last two days it has become clear to me that whatever the rights and wrongs of the matter I will not be able to fulfil my duties as we both would wish. Nor is it fair to continue to put my family and colleagues through this upsetting and damaging publicity.
I have made clear to you - and I give you my categorical assurance again - that I did not, never have, and never would call a police officer a "pleb" or a "moron" or used any of the other pejorative descriptions attributed to me. The offending comment and the reason for my apology to the police was my parting remark "I thought you guys were supposed to f***ing help us". It was obviously wrong of me to use such bad language and I am very sorry about it and grateful to the police officer for accepting my apology.
I am immensely grateful to you for giving me the opportunity to serve as your Development Secretary for seven and a half years, both in Opposition and in Government. I believe Britain, under your leadership, has made real progress in transforming the lives and the opportunities of some of the world's poorest people and that we will continue to do so as we deploy an expertise and commitment which show Britain at its best.
I now intend to concentrate on serving my constituents in the Royal town of Sutton Coldfield to the best of my ability and giving you the strong support you rightly deserve from all members of the Conservative Party.
With every good wish,
Yours ever,
Andrew Mitchell.

David Cameron's letter
Dear Andrew,
Thank you for your letter. I was sorry to receive it, but I understand why you have reached the conclusion that you have, and why you have decided to resign from the Government.
I regret that this has become necessary, and am very grateful for all you have done, both in Government and in Opposition - as well as for the kind words in your letter.
I am in no doubt that your work in the field of international development has made a really important contribution - not only to the Conservative Party, but more importantly to Britain's standing in the world, and above all to international efforts to tackle deep and sustained poverty.
You brought real passion to the job in Opposition, which you turned into more than two years of very successful work in Government.
You brought immense energy and dedication to the role, a focus on the world's poorest, and decisive progress on the key issues of vaccination against preventable diseases, maternal health and family planning that make the greatest difference to the greatest number of people.
You have also brought a proper accountability and transparency to the Department for International Development's work.
Under your leadership of the Department, Britain achieved a leading global role, which will be continued as Britain chairs the United Nations High Level Panel.
As we discussed in advance of the reshuffle, I wanted you to bring your organisational skill and energy to the important job of Chief Whip. It was clear to me that you had already made a strong start.
As you have acknowledged, the incident in Downing Street was not acceptable and you were right to apologise for it.
You have much to be proud of from your service on the Frontbench both in Opposition and in Government, and in your continued service to your constituents in Sutton Coldfield. I hope that, in time, you will be able to make a further contribution to public life.
Yours
David"

secrets in symmetry
20-Oct-12, 19:58
I believe in calling a pleb a pleb. Did he resign because he didn't do that?

Rheghead
20-Oct-12, 20:04
What I cannot understand is that David Cameron said an apology was given and accepted by the constable in question. But how can anyone apologise for something that has been denied to have taken place?

secrets in symmetry
20-Oct-12, 20:06
He apologised for swearing - which apparently isn't as bad as calling the guy a pleb, and which he claims he didn't do.

Phill
20-Oct-12, 20:10
Apparently so!
But he's done a lot for poor people mate!!

(in smashy & nicey stylee)

gleeber
20-Oct-12, 21:46
Its all very formal and needs to be done. Better than the old way if you fell out with the King.

Kenn
21-Oct-12, 23:50
But are n't most of us plebs and since when has it been a derogatory term rather than a statement of class?

John Little
22-Oct-12, 08:04
He apologised for swearing - which apparently isn't as bad as calling the guy a pleb, and which he claims he didn't do..

"I apologises for swearing at you horficer, but not for calling you a pleb, which I never dun anyways, and you can't prove it.

Yeah I know you coppers have both written it down in your notebooks, but we all knows the filth tell porky pies and fits people up for what they ain't done - so who's going to believe you anyway?

After all - an important politician like ,me would not make things up to get out of a hole, call the police liars and maintain the lie in front of Parliament - now would I ?"

ducati
22-Oct-12, 19:21
Well both both Parliamentarians and Police have proved themselves to be er less than reliably truthful recently so take yer pick.

Phill
22-Oct-12, 20:16
Parliamentarians not being truthful!! :eek:
Surely you jest?

smithp
22-Oct-12, 21:18
Discussing this on radio 4 a commentator with plums in her mouth stated excitedly that she definetly did know he had used the term plebs, as the police officer would absolutely not be making accusations using the term plebs, as it wasn't language within his ordinary vocabulary.
I guess the officer never went to the right school! Talk about undermining your own point.

Eilanboy
23-Oct-12, 10:43
Good job Mitchell didn't have a white stick otherwise he might have had something to complain about