PDA

View Full Version : Subscribed threads

dozerboy
13-Dec-06, 13:57
Can anyone help me here? The message boards used to give a wee symbol beside any threads that I was subscribed to, but since yesterday, it seems to have vanished.

Is this just me, or have others had this issue also?

gollach
13-Dec-06, 14:01
Can anyone help me here? The message boards used to give a wee symbol beside any threads that I was subscribed to, but since yesterday, it seems to have vanished.

Is this just me, or have others had this issue also?

I think that the admin people have switched some things off following the "miserable user" carry-on. Have you noticed that the forum no longer shows the number of posts you have made?

dozerboy
13-Dec-06, 14:04
I think that the admin people have switched some things off following the "miserable user" carry-on. Have you noticed that the forum no longer shows the number of posts you have made?

Thanks for that Gollach - no I hadn't noticed that, but I see they are missing now. That's a shame, I enjoyed seeing how many I and others had posted.

I hope they put it all back, as it takes away enjoyment from the forum.

Colin Manson
13-Dec-06, 16:16
Hi,

I'd planned to post a message about this but didn't get around to it.

I've switched off a few things in an attempt to stop the server crashing when the forum gets busy, I don't know how much of an impact it will have but it has saved load of database queries that aren't really required.

A few other options may have to be removed in order to stop the problems that
we have been seeing. One of the main options is the whos online, it's not recommended for servers were lots of simultaneous users are online.

Cheers
Colin

Edit - Yeah I know it's not great missing out on some of these tools but it's better than sitting looking at a database error page. These things and more could be switched on once we move to a dedicated server.

cullbucket
13-Dec-06, 16:27
Strange that the "whos online" function would only work properly if it was only you that was online.....

Colin Manson
13-Dec-06, 16:43
The Admin help on the topic -

Display Logged in Users?
Enabling this option shows a list of users that are browsing your forums on the main page. Disable if you are concerned about performance.

There are 4 options:

Yes, Alphabetical to all visitors - This option will show an alphabetized list of users to guests and members.
Yes, Random to all visitors - This option will show a random order list of users to guests and members.
Yes, Alphabetical to members only - This option will show an alphabetized list of users to members only.
Yes, Random to members only - This option will show a random order list of users to members only.

And the Description of the feature -

Displays those users that have been active in the last XXX seconds on the home page, where XXX is the value specified by your Cookie Time-Out option (Default is last 15 minutes). Not recommended for sites with hundreds of simultaneous users. The Alphabetical option requires more resources than the random option.

johno
13-Dec-06, 16:53
yea, i noticed that also.

ice box
13-Dec-06, 19:28
I have just manged to get logged on the org after having connection problem with the sever and the first thing i noticed is the amount of posts i have done since i joined has disappeared (ie) my post count is gone . What is the reason for it ? Or is it just me that can't see it .:cool:

Royster1911
13-Dec-06, 19:30
Aye, your right enough. Its gone:confused

dozerboy
13-Dec-06, 19:32
Hi,

I'd planned to post a message about this but didn't get around to it.

I've switched off a few things in an attempt to stop the server crashing when the forum gets busy, I don't know how much of an impact it will have but it has saved load of database queries that aren't really required.

A few other options may have to be removed in order to stop the problems that
we have been seeing. One of the main options is the whos online, it's not recommended for servers were lots of simultaneous users are online.

Cheers
Colin

Edit - Yeah I know it's not great missing out on some of these tools but it's better than sitting looking at a database error page. These things and more could be switched on once we move to a dedicated server.

Thanks for the explanation - much appreciated. It can't be much fun looking at a page of errors, so I would have done the same.

Billy Boy
13-Dec-06, 19:33
what difference does it make anyway:roll:

Royster1911
Agghhhhh, So have mine....Doh

Orger
No they have gone, i think there is a reason for it but i cannot find where i found it in the first place..

changilass
13-Dec-06, 19:36
I have merged these posts so it is easy for people to find the explanation:D