PDA

View Full Version : new group to help people with alcohol problems

Rangers1
18-Oct-12, 22:10
hi would anyone be interested in starting up a group in thurso and wick to help people struggling with alcohol addiction .

south view 7
19-Oct-12, 20:22
What"s wrong with alcoholics anonymous (it worked for me)

Rangers1
19-Oct-12, 21:31
Aa talks about the past not about today

parkie
19-Oct-12, 21:57
your talking garbage rangers 1,it helped me and million,s of other men and woman with alcohol problem,s

Rangers1
19-Oct-12, 22:04
Well thats your thoughts ok not mine

joxville
19-Oct-12, 22:22
As someone who has seen at first hand the effects that alcoholism can have on family, and by you guys admitting having had a problem with it, I'm surprised at you knocking Rangers1 for wanting help and to help others. I don't think it matters which group alcoholics go to, the main thing is they've admitted to themselves they have a problem and are seeking help for their addiction.

pat
20-Oct-12, 07:29
Any support offered should be encouraged - the ability to be able to choose is great.
It is like being forced to buy my goods in one shop - no selection.
AA does not suit everyone, there used to be another alcohol group - think it was Caithness Council for Alcohol but do not know if that is still around, think it closed due to lack of funding.
best wishes with your group if and when you manage to get it up and running, much needed support network required for this problem.

Rheghead
20-Oct-12, 10:18
There seems to be a theme or assumption that is running through the AA that if you give up the booze then you need God to pick you up. I think that is a big barrier for many people going to the AA.

pumkin
20-Oct-12, 11:02
Rangers1, well done for taking the big step & for making the effort to start up a group. I wish you all the best in your journey.

Advice I can give you for starters is to get advertising via posters in shop windows. Before you start advertising however, you'll need a venue to put on your poster.

1) Find & book a venue
2) Print posters (hundreds) & place them throughout the county (shops)
3) Remember to put your phone number on the poster so people can contact you

Good luck!

secrets in symmetry
20-Oct-12, 13:02
There seems to be a theme or assumption that is running through the AA that if you give up the booze then you need God to pick you up. I think that is a big barrier for many people going to the AA.I haven't heard about this assumption. Where did you pick it up from?

Good luck with finding people for your new group Rangers1.

Rheghead
20-Oct-12, 16:50
I haven't heard about this assumption. Where did you pick it up from?

I have heard it from people who have been and they say they like to ram religion down your throat but I recognise that may not be enough evidence some people so here is their second tradition.

2. For our group purpose there is but one ultimate authority - a loving God as He may express Himself in our group conscience.
Our leaders are but trusted servants; they do not govern.

secrets in symmetry
20-Oct-12, 17:15
Thanks Rheghead. :cool:

AA's third tradition is

3. Our membership ought to include all who suffer from alcoholism. Hence we may refuse none who wish to recover. Nor ought AA membership ever depend upon money or conformity. Any two or three alcoholics gathered together for sobriety may call themselves an AA group, provided that, as a group, they have no other affiliation.
This seems to imply that they wouldn't turn away atheists. Coupled with their second tradition, this suggests that they must try to convert atheists to Christianity.

Interesting....

Rheghead
20-Oct-12, 17:18

AA's third tradition is

This seems to imply that they wouldn't turn away atheists. Coupled with their second tradition, this suggests that they must try to convert atheists to Christianity.

Interesting....

Well yes, a church's raison detre is to get as many followers as possible so they would say that.

secrets in symmetry
20-Oct-12, 17:20
Well yes, a church's raison detre is to get as many followers as possible so they would say that.Maybe, but AA isn't a church.

parkie
20-Oct-12, 21:16
well said secret,s in symmetry

Rheghead
20-Oct-12, 21:24
Maybe, but AA isn't a church.

Not in itself but it certainly is a front organisation for Faith.

gleeber
20-Oct-12, 21:36
There seems to be a theme or assumption that is running through the AA that if you give up the booze then you need God to pick you up. I think that is a big barrier for many people going to the AA.
You may be right about that. Ive met people who complain about God being in AA so they went back to the pub and got drunk and died.
AA is something positive but its not for everyone. AA could work for anyone whos having life changing difficulties whether its alcohol or any other substance or phobia. God has little to do with it at the beginning and ive been to AA meetings where God wasnt particularly welcome.
I would say from experience that it wouldnt be easy to get enough problem drinkers organised into a managable group where any kind of meaningful therapy could result, :lol: but good luck.

Not in itself but it certainly is a front organisation for Faith.
What's that mean? :eek:

secrets in symmetry
20-Oct-12, 22:51
Ive met people who complain about God being in AA so they went back to the pub and got drunk and died. It's not good that they feel the need to make a choice between the AA God and the the Demon Drink, so there's surely a market for a new organisation.

gleeber
20-Oct-12, 23:14
It's not good that they feel the need to make a choice between the AA God and the the Demon Drink, so there's surely a market for a new organisation.
If you know a bit about the history of Alcoholics Anonymous youll know that God was there at the start but most of the new alkies fought against the idea of a God and they came up with a compromise. They called it a God of your own understanding. I would argue that everybody has a God of their own understanding whether its Jesus or Einstien.
No harm in another organisation. The more the merrier but it would take a lot of dedicated work to establish one.

Rheghead
20-Oct-12, 23:24
How many took to drink because they couldnae resolve their original christian mind indoctrination with their own life experience and rational thinking and then they are plunged into making the same dilemma once drink took a hold of them? It is a statistic that 60+% drop out of AA.

gleeber
20-Oct-12, 23:26
How many took to drink because they couldnae resolve their original christian mind indoctrination with their own life experience and rational thinking and then they are plunged into making the same dilemma once drink took a hold of them? It is a statistic that 60+% drop out of AA.
I dont know why people take to drink. Have you been drinking?

gleeber
20-Oct-12, 23:28
I should have known better than to post on this thread. :lol:
Come on chaps. Whats the problem. Is it only God or is there more resentment in there?

Rheghead
20-Oct-12, 23:34
I dont know why people take to drink. Have you been drinking?

not had a drink for maybe 9 months, My body can't handle it any more.:lol:

Interesting that Alcoholics Anonymous never promote the deleterious effects of alcohol on the body and that they rely on the spiritual deprivement that they seem to think that alcohol creates when a person is drinking to promote the need to stop drinking. How can an intoxicated person be in touch with their God if they are intoxicated? That is the AA premise. Religious fundamentalism?

gleeber
20-Oct-12, 23:41
Im not sure what you mean by AA not promoting the deletious effects of alcohol on the body and Im not sure I know what you mean by the rest of it. Are you sure you havnt been taking anything?

Rheghead
20-Oct-12, 23:43
Im not sure what you mean by AA not promoting the deletious effects of alcohol on the body and Im not sure I know what you mean by the rest of it. Are you sure you havnt been taking anything?

Oh I get it, you disagree with me so you are trying to discredit me.

gleeber
20-Oct-12, 23:47
I dont think my intention was to discredit you. I was defending AA. oops sorry. :lol:
Its not my place to defend AA. Im not a member and even if I was its not their policy to get into controversy.

Rheghead
20-Oct-12, 23:58
I dont think my intention was to discredit you. I was defending AA. oops sorry. :lol:

I think we are mature enough to see what you were doing.:roll:

The AA avoid discussing the medical reasons why alcoholism is bad for one's health. However, if you can direct me to an AA sponsored link that promotes the ill effects that alcohol has on the body rather than alcohol has upon a person's ability to talk to their God then I will review my viewpoint. Hence I will keep my view that the AA is a front organisation for Faith as it is their Good Samaritan for alkies.

gleeber
21-Oct-12, 00:10
You see, your perception is different than mine. AA is not involved in medical issues. Thats for professionals. Your gripes with faith. Thats your problem.

joxville
21-Oct-12, 07:35
Gents. Please. Don't let another thread descend into nitpicking. Rangers1 started the thread with honourable intentions, can you please move on and be constructive in your posts, arguing about the rights and wrongs of AA isn't going to help him or others.

Rheghead
21-Oct-12, 09:52
I wasn't nickpicking, I'm just merely pointing out that the AA policy of ramming religion down vulnerable people's throats may put them off going.

Mystical Potato Head
21-Oct-12, 17:49
Oh I get it, you disagree with me so you are trying to discredit me.

You would never dream of trying to discredit anyone who disagreed with your opinions on climate change or windmills now would you. :roll:

gleeber
21-Oct-12, 18:51

Interesting....

What I find interesting is how you can assume the above statement from reading the second tradition. :eek: Sounds strangely unscientific.

I wasn't nickpicking, I'm just merely pointing out that the AA policy of ramming religion down vulnerable people's throats may put them off
going.
I dont recognise that kind of stuff from my connection with AA but that was a long time ago. I'm not sure what your gripe is.
AA has helped millions and theres millions more wounded family and friends of problem drinkers get helped by considering the principals of AA in their daily lives. It may be a crutch and you may not like it but what gives you the right to knock it with such smug aplomb?
Your thoughts about AA are misinformed which is a shame considering your claims for objectivity from everyone else.

I hope the bloke who opened this thread gives AA another go. The truth is he could join the swimming club and get just as sober if he didnt drink. AA wouldnt claim to have a monopoly on sobriety but it doesnt deserve nonsense posted about it on a community website. It also deserves an apology for a misinformed opinion being posted by a scientific type. [lol]

Rheghead
21-Oct-12, 18:57
I don't think I am misinformed gleeber, I simply backed up my view with evidence from the AA website. I think you are just having a go at me because you can. I never had a go at you, so why me?

Rheghead
21-Oct-12, 18:58
You would never dream of trying to discredit anyone who disagreed with your opinions on climate change or windmills now would you. :roll:

I dispute the argument, I never have a go at the person. Pity you don't do that.

secrets in symmetry
21-Oct-12, 19:00
The job I had in mind for you (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19778030) is still open Gleeber.

You'd be ideal. Go for it man! :cool:

gleeber
21-Oct-12, 19:14
I don't think I am misinformed gleeber, I simply backed up my view with evidence from the AA website. I think you are just having a go at me because you can. I never had a go at you, so why me?
I cant defend AA without having a go at you? Your comments are misinformed. Words are powerful and mud sticks. AA has many faults but it never ever tries to convert anyone to anything.
Its primary purpose is to help the struggling alcoholic achieve sobriety.

Rheghead
21-Oct-12, 19:16
I cant defend AA without having a go at you? Your comments are misinformed. Words are powerful and mud sticks. AA has many faults but it never ever tries to convert anyone to anything.
Its primary purpose is to help the struggling alcoholic achieve sobriety.

So what do you make of the reports that the AA rams religion (http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-religious_faith.html) down throats? Lies?

gleeber
21-Oct-12, 19:21
So what do you make of the reports that the AA rams religion down throats? Lies?
Ive already called it nonsense. Maybe AA has changed and problem drinkers are being recruited by the thousands with promises of wine and roses in heaven. Hmm. Sounds good. :lol:

secrets in symmetry
21-Oct-12, 19:27
Ive already called it nonsense. Maybe AA has changed and problem drinkers are being recruited by the thousands with promises of wine and roses in heaven. Hmm. Sounds good. :lol:That's a great soliloquy. :cool:

As I've said many times before, you'd make a great Archbishop of Canterbury. Go on, apply for the post! I'll write a reference for you, and I'm sure Rheghead could be persuaded to do the same. :cool:

Phill
21-Oct-12, 20:39
Now, now children. We've plenty more threads to bicker on!

Getting back on track, Rangers1 you may already be aware of Caithness Drug & Alcohol Forum: http://www.highland-adp.org.uk/caithness.asp
Which may help, or are helping your group.

Mrs Bucket
21-Oct-12, 20:43
You have made ypur points known now please move on and stop bickering or you will drive me to the bottle.

Rangers1
21-Oct-12, 21:03
i am only trying to start up a group to help people who are struggling or have been affected by alcohol addiction. I am in the mean time doing my training for smart recovery. but in the meantime would like to do a group to help me meet and discuss people in the same situation as myself. AA SHOULD NOT GET KNOCKED FOR WHAT IT DOES IT WORKS FOR SOME AND NOT FOR OTHERS.

parkie
21-Oct-12, 21:29
well said rangers 1

Rheghead
21-Oct-12, 21:40
AA SHOULD NOT GET KNOCKED FOR WHAT IT DOES IT WORKS FOR SOME AND NOT FOR OTHERS.

Agreed 100%. I was just saying it from the 'AND NOT FOR OTHERS' perspective.