PDA

View Full Version : Wick River

Goldfish
01-Feb-05, 17:38
Does anyone know

~~Tides~~
01-Feb-05, 17:39
Do you mean the river harbour?

Does anyone know why they are digging up the new pier again?

Goldfish
01-Feb-05, 17:49
The river from the footbridge to the harbour

~~Tides~~
01-Feb-05, 17:52
I didnt know they were doing or did anything to deepen it.

brandy
03-Feb-05, 00:56
wick has a river? *gasps shock* i thought it was a stream!

MACKEM
03-Feb-05, 09:05
Tides,

Re the Pier, They found the inside was crumbling, which they did not know about when they started the Contract.

~~Tides~~
03-Feb-05, 21:32
wick has a river? *gasps shock* i thought it was a stream!

I thought someone was having a pee up at Waten.

brandy
03-Feb-05, 22:36
tides.. ive seen pics back in the day when the river was a river!! but that was before that built those whattisits... so dunno..

katarina
07-Feb-05, 09:58
when I was a child we used to spend all our spare time on the rowing boats on Wick River. We could go right up river to the islands and the fairy bridge. What a shame the kids of today have to miss out. Mind you, I doubt if health and safety would allow as much freedom these days, especially as most of the boats were letting in water! As far as I know tho, there were never any accidents!
Does anyone know why the weir was removed? The anglers blame the farmers, the farmers blame the anglers, and yet another oppertunity for recreation is missed in Wick.

George Brims
07-Feb-05, 18:40
I understood the weir was removed to get rid of the straggly weed that grows each summer. Having the weir there to provide the boating area just slowed down the flow so far it couldn't wash the weeds away. The current angled thingies are designed to keep the water in the middle so it flows faster and rips away more of the weeds. The weed is actually native to the Baltic region. The only place in Britain that has it is the Wick River. It got there by attaching itself to the hulls of the ships that used to haul Caithness flagstone to Baltic seaports. It wasn't a problem until farmers started using artificial fertilizer, some of which leaches out of the soil and eventually into the river, promoting excessive growth of the weed.

PhilR
08-Feb-05, 14:36
Blimey Katarina.....the rowing boats bring back some memories!! Used to spend most of my pocket money on them every Saturday, with a crowd of us playing pirates on the islands. And you're right, nowadays Health & Safety would have them closed before you could say "Fun? Soon stop that!".

Also remember skating on the frozen river from one bank to the other (until I fell thru the ice and got a hiding from Mam!). Has there been any sledging at the Cannon this year?

Was back in Wick last August and thought the river looked pretty disgusting.

Phil Reid
(Kuwait)

~~Tides~~
08-Feb-05, 17:57
No sledging this year, not enough snow. :( (eventhough im too old)

thrumsterloon
08-Feb-05, 20:56
I can just about remember going out on the river in the boats, does anyone know when and why they stopped operating?

katarina
09-Feb-05, 11:50
I can just about remember going out on the river in the boats, does anyone know when and why they stopped operating?

They stopped operating because the powers that be removed the weir, so the water could not build up, and it was too shallow for the boats. Some one else has explained why.
Personally, I would have it re-erected, bring back the boats and make all these wasters who get money for sitting up the river drinking their cheap plonk, or all those who get off with petty crime with not even community service, get off their bums and regularly clean out the weed or starve.
Of course when I was a child the weed was a problem, it used to get wattled around the oars - but looking back, it was all part of the fun!
And I remeber skating on the river one year too - and sledging on the road behind the Parish Church. Whenever we saw the lights of a car we all had to dive out of the way! I oftyen wonder how these cars got up the hill, it often ended up like a bottle! Ah the good old days....

katarina
09-Feb-05, 11:51

Phil Reid
(Kuwait)[/quote]

Should have seen it a month ago - it was a real river then - it actually burst its banks and flooded the car park.

katarina
10-Feb-05, 18:21
Blimey Katarina.....the rowing boats bring back some memories!! Used to spend most of my pocket money on them every Saturday, with a crowd of us playing pirates on the islands. And you're right, nowadays Health & Safety would have them closed before you could say "Fun? Soon stop that!".

Also remember skating on the frozen river from one bank to the other (until I fell thru the ice and got a hiding from Mam!). Has there been any sledging at the Cannon this year?

Phil Reid
(Kuwait)

If you remeber that, do you remember the cedar cafe? I'm beginning to doubt it ever existed

PhilR
21-Feb-05, 11:16
Cedar Cafe doesn't ring a bell. Where was it?
I DO remember sledging down the Giant Steps and trying to get enough speed to miss one step altogether. Usually using fertilizer bags stuffed with straw. Few sore backs from that!

katarina
22-Feb-05, 10:16
Does anyone know what they are doing beside the fountain? they seem to be errecting a seven foot log wall which to my mind detracts from the attractiveness of the area. I can't suss out where the path will be. If it is on the river side, then the wall will obstruct the view of the gardens, if on the other side, the river will disappear from view - does any one know the point of this?

skydivvy
23-Feb-05, 10:18
[quote="PhilR"]Cedar Cafe doesn't ring a bell. Where was it?
uote]

Where boots is now I think.

PhilR
23-Feb-05, 11:05
I remember that as Templetons (had a Saturday job there) but cant picture what was there before. We used to buy single Embassy Filter ciggies at the cafe next door for about 5p!

skydivvy
23-Feb-05, 11:17
I remember that as Templetons (had a Saturday job there) but cant picture what was there before. We used to buy single Embassy Filter ciggies at the cafe next door for about 5p!

Yeah, from Elsie Cardosie!

joe
23-Feb-05, 19:50
Was speaking to Elsie she is not online but if anyone wants to get in touch about the cafe she works in Wick laundry.

daviddd
23-Feb-05, 19:57
.The current angled thingies ..... are known as croys :D

Goldfish
23-Feb-05, 20:16
These croys then, who are responsible for them? do they ever intend moving them to deepen the parts of the river that they have missed?