PDA

View Full Version : bat detectors

Mr P Cannop
16-Oct-12, 16:34
where can i buy them ??

davem
16-Oct-12, 16:48
The Rangers at Seadrift in Dunnet will know, or find plans to make your own.
They should be asleep for winter fairly soon though!

Dadie
16-Oct-12, 17:12
They are pretty expensive.
Mine is a basic magenta 5 and its £100
There are more sophsticated detectors out there that measure the echowaves that you can collect and collate data that run on computer software, but, they run to £1000s of £.
Just google and there are quite a lot of places you can buy them from!...
But ebay isnt that cheap for them unless you research the bat detectors make and model before bidding because you can end up spending just about as much on a 2nd hand one as a new one.
Basic ones without LCD display etc start about £40-£60 dependant on make and model.

George Brims
16-Oct-12, 17:51
Who needs a bat detector? I just go out at sunset and there they are, swooping around eating bugs.

Rheghead
18-Oct-12, 17:45
Who needs a bat detector? I just go out at sunset and there they are, swooping around eating bugs.

Different species of bat make calls at different frequencies so if you want to identify the bat then a bat detector is invaluable.

George Brims
18-Oct-12, 18:27
Ah well I have no interest in identifying them. I would like to know how to construct and place bat boxes to help them out and keep them around.

Dadie
18-Oct-12, 19:09
As well as identifying the bat spieces you have flying around they also help to determine whether you have bats in your bat boxes.
As you are not allowed to disturb the boxes once they are up!
(my bat detector has helped me find a lost hamster too by locating the wee beastie through his squeaking frequency. so handy!)