PDA

View Full Version : Recent events

dozerboy
12-Dec-06, 20:57
Can I make a fairly obvious observation here?

Well, I'm going to anyway!!

Anything written by anybody, and read by anybody, be it on a contravertial subject or not, can so easily be mis-interpreted by someone else. I have discovered this doing my line of work, where I am constantly communicating via email - I managed to upset a few people with nothing really, but either bad or missed punctuation, or something written without careful thought, can cause offence where none was intended.

Therefore - on any forum in any part of the world - there will be misunderstandings and people taking offence to something that has been said - What's the big deal? It's an every day event.

Comments, thoughts?

tillygirl
13-Dec-06, 12:30
Very true dozerboy

Rheghead
13-Dec-06, 13:25
Yes, I agree, I have done it and others have done it to me. I think it is worth rereading a post through before posting it or perhaps come back to it after 5 minutes before pressing the reply button. That way you can read your post with fresh eyes or as chessplayers say 'through the eyes of a patzer'. I'm terrible for missing out small words which can throw the meaning out somewhat, even words that make positive statements into negative ones! etc.

Through
13-Dec-06, 13:37
Obviously some care needs to be taken, both by the one who speaks and the ones who listen. It wouldn't be the first time someone had made assumptions about me before I even opened my mouth. In those cases, I tend to say the extreme of what they're expecting, because their self-righteous and often hypocritical attitude annoys me.