PDA

View Full Version : Extra Black Bags for BInmen

Venture
12-Dec-06, 19:39
Can I just let everyone know that if you have extra bin bags with your wheelie bin that you now have to let the service point know 48 hours in advance. Previously you could phone up until 12 noon on the day before your bin was picked up. The council have yet to let the public know about this even though the new times have been in force for about a month. So if you expect to have extra rubbish over the festive period Id phone well in advance.

Piglet
12-Dec-06, 19:43
Gee whiz they ask for enough notice don't they - What ever happened to them just taking them.:roll:

Stumurf
12-Dec-06, 22:10
maybe we are supposed to act a little more responsibly with our waste.. than just keep generating huge amounts and caring little of what happens to it?

i for one shudder at the thought of the amount that gets generated at this time of year...

mums angels
12-Dec-06, 22:11
Every time i phoned they always said that i needed to give 2 days notice anyway..i gave up and now ask the neigbours if they have any room, I never know if I'll have no space two days in advance anyway:D

DarkAngel
12-Dec-06, 22:47
Thats good to know..I live out in the country and or binmen are really nice and always take more black bin bags when i have extra!

Buttercup
12-Dec-06, 23:48
Anyone know if the collection days will be changed/missed over the holidays?

jinglejangle
12-Dec-06, 23:52
i heard that they only take items placed in the bin unless previously asked because there has been cases when people have left old bikes / toys beside the bin and the binmen have removed these items only for complaints to be made later saying that items were not for disposal and the council has had to reimburse people. although i know in the case of black bags it should be pretty obvious they are for dumping but maybe they just have one rule to cover all.

Orger
13-Dec-06, 00:49
thats kinda rubbish aint it... whats the hassle of the bin man just picking it up and throwing it in the lorry, hes putting the bin rubbish in, so it aint like he has to do much more work...

Loafer
13-Dec-06, 11:03
I think this is a load of nonsense and I have been given conflicting reasons for having to phone up in the first place. They have been: -
1) The extra cost to dump at Seater.
2) In Inverness, some binman picked up a new bike that was laid against a wheelie bin and chucked it in the scaffie.
3) To stop building firms etc. using the scaffie for dumping their waste.

One came from a servicepoint worker, the other two from a councillor.

A couple of times I have phoned up I they have refused to pick up what I requested as they were deemed as "DIY". One was a radiator and the other was strips of wood. I was told I would need to take it to the skips at the riverside. I asked the question "What if I was an 80 year old wifie with no car". They said they were sorry but that was the way it was.

Do we really need to call up to get a few extra bags picked up?

Sometimes i hark for days gone by when Dodgie Harper and his binmen came round into your garden and picked up your bins. And they always had a smile.

The Loafer

henry20
13-Dec-06, 11:10
Ach, I kept forgetting to phone and arrange to get my washing machine & tumble drier uplifted. Just phoned just now and they can't do it until a week tomorrow as I never gave 48 hours notice. :(

I'm sure the workers would rather collect it tomorrow than on 21st :roll:

gofor
13-Dec-06, 12:46
neighbour phoned to get washing machine uplifted will happen on friday 3 weeks after requested

Through
13-Dec-06, 16:25
48 hours eh?

Maybe that explains why we were told to put our old broken washing machine out on the Tuesday, even although my wife knew the collection day is Thursday. Sure enough, it lay there for two days.

We did get a bit of a laugh at the manoeuvers it went through as the school kids passed by each day...

Personally, I question the value of anything they say about waste and recycling, etc. etc. Everybody just seems to chuck everything in the street anyway. If you say anything to them, the look of incredulity on their face that there is anything wrong with what they have done really is something to see. That's when they don't just give you a mouthful. Clearly I am violating their human rights over something that is perfectly acceptable.

Billy Boy
13-Dec-06, 19:47
[quote=Loafer;172124]

Sometimes i hark for days gone by when Dodgie Harper and his binmen came round into your garden and picked up your bins. And they always had a smile.

ooooh the good old days indeed, the only reason they had a smile was they totaly blooterd,you should of said they fell into my garden and picked up my bins lol[lol]

2051donna
14-Dec-06, 11:31
It ridicolous, i feel as if im on the phone telling them iv extra rubbish every week! And this time that the dump outside the town is open during the winter is when my partner works.. Its crazy.. Last week i phoned to tell them i had extra rubbish i gave my 48hrs notice + they never took it.. so iv got even more this week!

Through
14-Dec-06, 14:29
At least we're all trying, there are others that don't give a stuff. Someone dumped an old carpet round the lock-ups behind my house. What do these people think is going to happen to it? Once it was an old bed that got dumped there and recently there has been a spate of black bags being left. The latest one is a pile of old tyres!

And they think recycling is going to work? Not until they tackle all of the Rab C Nesbits in this country.

Apologies to anyone called Rab C Nesbit that happens to read this.

crashbandicoot1979
14-Dec-06, 14:46
One of the flats up near me has loads of furniture lying outside it - beds, settee, washing machine and a few other bits and pieces. Whoever left it clearly never arranged a pick up but surely when the men come to pick up other furniture thats been phoned in, they could pick up all the other stuff aswell? Its clear that its meant for the bin and beyond any use, anyway.