PDA

View Full Version : London Diary

crayola
13-Oct-12, 12:01
I'm back in London for a while. It's my second home but it feels like my first. I have a purse full of RBS notes that I shall enjoy spending in the capital city of my beloved country. Harvey Nicks beware!

I'm staying in a brand new hotel in a good part of town and I have the day to myself. The place is full of Scots. The barman is from Glasgow and he barely blinked an eye when I sauntered into the room and requested a pint of Guinness. :eek: I know that's strange but I was soooo thirsty. My usual tipple whilst travelling is a large expensive Australian Shiraz or a traditional G&T but I was bone dry last night. The company at the bar was from somewhere in the central belt and we talked Scottish football for aeons. Well, they talked Scottish football and I nodded whenever one of them sought my opinion to backup theirs. :confused

It's good to be back. It even felt like the 80s again as Suzanne Vega muzaked Luka over my full English breakfast. I still feel entirely at home in London after spending so much time here in the 80s and 90s. I count all of Acton, Islington, Hampstead and Pimlico as my second homes. :)

I was planning to hit the shops today but I think I shall have a cultural experience instead. I am torn between hiking up past my alma mater up to the British museum and strolling across the river to the Tate Modern. Although I am tending towards the latter I know my legs will tell me which way to walk when I exit the hotel. It will be good to breathe fresh air after a week of spying on Curiosity's slow progress across a barren red landscape.

joxville
13-Oct-12, 12:34
I like the architecture but that's it, traffic is a bloody nightmare, the Tube is the transport from hell, there is so many wannabes dressed like tarts, and that's just the men!, fake celebrity seems to be everywhere, everything is overpriced, and hawkers and Russian/Albanian/Romanian pickpockets abound. You can keep your London, I hate the bloody place. I prefer it here in the Home Counties, though I'd much rather be back in Scotland.

PS Enjoy your stay :-)

ducati
13-Oct-12, 13:58
Glad you are enjoying it C. Personally, I don't care if I never see the place again. :Razz Park Royal and Earls Court were my haunts, including 10 London Fashion weeks where you meet the strangest people in the known Universe. NASA should study them.

crayola
13-Oct-12, 15:31
There are plenty strange people in the Tate Modern. I've been having lunch with a fellow witch I bumped into in the Espresso Bar. She looks like a traditional witch with long black hair, crinkled leathery skin and a long hooked nose. The atmosphere is relaxed since most visitors are womenfolk. :) There are plenty good looking men but they're all gay. :(

John Little
13-Oct-12, 18:28
Arrrrr! That there Lunnon be a cosermerpolitean soort o place right nuff. Proper job!

crayola
13-Oct-12, 19:07
there is so many wannabes dressed like tartsHa ha, that was me back in the time. ;)

It's still like that. There are higher heels about than I've ever seen, never mind worn. :roll:

I may have sinned in the past but I made up for it today by attending evensong at St Paul's. It's so spiritual in there that even a pagan can feel it. Then I went for a drink and met some lovely young lads from Belfast. :)

I'm waiting in the hotel for a phone call from my son. He's all grown up and should be arriving any minute now...........

crayola
13-Oct-12, 19:09
Arrrrr! That there Lunnon be a cosermerpolitean soort o place right nuff. Proper job!Ooh arrr, you be gone native already then? :D

I waarr be in Somerset House just 15 minutes ago. :eek:

John Little
13-Oct-12, 19:29
Ooh arrr, you be gone native already then? :D

I waarr be in Somerset House just 15 minutes ago. :eek:

Oi was wunnering where you was to.

mi16
13-Oct-12, 21:02
It's a city I have never been to, closest was heathrow.Can't say I have a strong desire to go there either.

Phill
13-Oct-12, 21:59
Been a few years since I did Laarndun. Apart from a few occasions passing through the last time I was there, it was several days doing Old Compton St. After sampling a wee bit of beerage and wine, my good friend ended up throwing up on the roof of the Prince Edward theatre during a matinee performance of Mama Mia whilst wifie was hiding from hedghogs.

Not been back since.

David Banks
14-Oct-12, 22:53
Oi was wunnering where you was to.

I thought it was only Newfoundlanders who say "where you to?"

Guess I have not spent enough time in London, eh?

John Little
14-Oct-12, 23:04
I thought it was only Newfoundlanders who say "where you to?"Guess I have not spent enough time in London, eh?

Lol! No David - tis purest Zummerzet I assure you.

Variations - where's that to then? Oi don't know where that be to.

But I did not know Newfoundlanders did it as well. I wonder if there's a link?

crayola
15-Oct-12, 16:40
Yesterday morning saw us visit the Globe Theatre before heading up to the West End for lunch and some retail shock therapy. The afternoon led us to the V&A and Natural History Museums. Dinner opposite St Paul's ended a great day. :)

A witchy wintery morning will be followed by an early dinner and an evening of gentle humour with Shrek. ;)

crayola
15-Oct-12, 18:09
I knew this would happen on the one time I'm here with the kids. I bumped into a photographer from a previous life on the Northern Line... I dreaded him saying he didn't recognise me with my clothes on. :( I know the lens boys would never do that but it doesn't calm the fear. He's still a short ass and he still stares at my boobs on the tube. Still, he's just bought us drinks in an old haunt just off Drury Lane. He's outside phoning his partner trying to explain why he's going to be home from work late. :D

crayola
20-Oct-12, 18:35
We enjoyed Shrek after we got rid of Lens Boy. Tuesday morning was dedicated to more retail therapy which was followed by afternoon tea with a dear friend at his flat in Pimlico. Food and drinks with my niece and nephew were followed by another evening at the theatre. An early train from Euston took us back north on Wednesday morning. All in all it was a wonderful few days. :)

John Little
20-Oct-12, 18:41
Glad you enjoyed it C. Sounds like a great excursion.

crayola
03-Nov-12, 02:05
This week saw me back in London far sooner than I expected. The temperature has dropped and even I was not prepared. Is there snow in Caithness yet?

pat
03-Nov-12, 10:12
Going down on Monday, hope the temperature rises a little before arrival and weather is dry and crisp for Friday, Saturday and Sunday next week - do not mind what it is like the rest of time I will spend down there, lots of things planned and lots of pals to see but
Friday attending Marie Curie Autumn Lunch in Four Seasons Park Lane
Saturday morning going to stables to see some racehorses, back to London to watch part of the Lord Mayors Show.
Sunday go to pay respects for Remembrance near Whitehall.
Monday head up to Bourne to visit some other friends and gradually work my way back up north catching up with some pals on the way

crayola
03-Nov-12, 13:36
That's a full and hopefully fulfilling schedule you have planned. :) If you like magic and you have some spare time I can recommend the Harry Potter Studio tour. The Eye at night is also Magic. Unfortunately the Olympic Park is closed qt the moment. :(

pat
03-Nov-12, 16:35
Been on the London Eye several times both day and night and as said well worth a visit, London looks so different day and night and from the differing angles up there, everytime I go on I see different things.
Not sure about Harry Potter Studio - keep falling asleep when I have tried to watch HP, read several of the books and enjoyed reading them and using my imagination, do not know how I would take to someone elses interpretation of the books.
I am as happy taking a wander around Greenwhich, Hampton Court, Kew Gardens, or lunch at The Ivy, it is only usually a week at this time of year so take things easy whilst there.

squidge
04-Nov-12, 11:58
i was last in London for my fortieth birthday with two girlfriends. We had a hoot. No plans to go again til the babies are bigger

billmoseley
04-Nov-12, 13:15
The thing i love about London is the underground the fact that it was built so long ago yet still copes with modern life. Popping down a hole in the ground in one place and popping up somewhere different just fascinates me for some reason :lol:

pat
05-Nov-12, 10:49
Know what you mean, feel like a mole when using underground - wondered if I was a bit odd to have such thoughts but obvious not alone.

Now when in London I prefer to use the excellent bus system, can see where I am going, do not have that claustrophobic feeling.

On train at the moment, south of Pitlochry, have already had complimentary cooked breakfast, pastry, fruit juices, coffees, already eaten more than the price difference between 1st and 2nd class tickets, still have free soft drinks all the way down to London - will definitely be using this service again. Quicker and easier than flying when you take into considration check-in times, security hassles, time spent waiting for baggage and getting into London.

crayola
09-Mar-13, 20:41
I'm back in London next week. Pat and I have similar tastes, we should hit the town together babe. :)

joxville
10-Mar-13, 04:03
No Crayola, you want to hit London with a handsome young man on your arm, see the sights, maybe dinner and a show. It just so happens I have some gaps in my diary. ;-)