PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming

Rheghead
01-Feb-05, 14:32
It seems every day we get an article in the media about Global warming. Can we do something about it or does it exist?

mumppy
01-Feb-05, 14:51
there must be global warming we never get ftost always rain

Rheghead
01-Feb-05, 16:11
Did Global warming cause the South East Asian Tsunami?

At first I scoffed at the idea, but when I thought about it more carefully then I am not too sure that the 2 aren't linked.

Reasoning.

The earth is warming up, and when something warms up it expands. So if the tectonic plates are warming up and expanding they are causing extra strain at the tectonic margins. This will eventually lead to movement and an earthquake/tsunami.

A few degrees temperature rise over such distances may cause such displacement, yes?

~~Tides~~
01-Feb-05, 17:51
With China and India waking up to the industrial age I think were pretty much screwed. Saw a program (Panorama maybe) that said 2000 tonnes of carbon emissions each a year would be relatively safe. Just now its 10000 tonnes and soon it is going to absolutely sky rocket as Chinese and Indians start buying cars in there millions.

Also saw a program about the effects of jet plane 'con trails' and during the time when no air traffic was flying after 9/11 there was 10% more sunlight getting through. Hard to believe I know but apparently true.

Seabird
01-Feb-05, 20:34
Tides as got it about right.(we are screwed)
The U.S.A wont change their out put, because they know it will cost jobs in the short term and wont make an iota of difference in the long term with the Asian countries wanting to modernise their way of life.
It wont be the end of human life, but it may well lead to the end of civilised life as we know it today.( if you can call todays life civilised)

fred
01-Feb-05, 20:59
It seems every day we get an article in the media about Global warming. Can we do something about it or does it exist?

They must be taking global warming seriously because they put a load of fans on the
hill at Spittal to keep us cool. They work too, last summer we didn't get any of the
uncomfortable high temperatures we did in the summer of 2003 before they put
them there.

I do think they should turn them off in winter and save a bit of electric though.

Goldfish
02-Feb-05, 05:46
The global warming is real check this out.
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object/article?m=/c/pictures/2004/12/17/mn_usgsmuir1941.jpg&f=/c/a/2004/12/17/MNGARADH401.DTL

Zael
02-Feb-05, 13:18
According to whichever programme I watched on tv the earth actually contracted by about 1 cm during the earthquake and so spun a little faster causing the length of that day to be cut short by about 1 millionth of a second.

How often does this happen? and how might these changes in the length of a day affect our seasons and when they come. I've seen charts of temperature over the last 10,000 years (how these are measured is a question for the boffins) but they seem to suggest that any influence we have had on the world climate over the last 100-200 years is barely noticable and nature is going to do its thing regardless of pretty much anything we throw at it.

Rheghead
10-Feb-05, 17:22
I would be a lot happier about the scientists who claim that humans are causing Global Warming if they present one piece of evidence to prove without doubt that we are doing so. So far they haven't.

I am not sure that we are causing Global Warming, and if we are why should we try to stop it?

I can see evidence for having renewable energy because fossil fuels will eventually run out but no other.

Zael
10-Feb-05, 17:36
Agreed on all counts. However I think that before things really change for the better energywise we will have to see something come along that presents real financial benefits without the requirement for grants to support it. Not that I think we wont see these things, I just think we will ahve to wait until the technology improves and is more of an off the shelf solution to things. i.e. you go to homebase and can pick up you mini wind turbines with self installation kit for £20

Buzz
11-Feb-05, 20:18
we are doomed! it's to late the world in which we live in depends on to much of the things that are causing Global warming. I also belive that in a hunderd years from now or maybe more the pepole of the world then will blame us for being stupid the same way we do when we think of our ancestors for example the salve trade, and how smoking was good for you. :eek:

EDDIE
12-Feb-05, 01:15
Global warming is a problem for future generation to come but I think the biggest affender is America who are only interested in there only econimey and not the enviroment which is wrong .And the thing is if america was in to protecting the global warming and another country wasnt there would be sanctions and allsorts imposed on them different rules for different countrys?

Rheghead
16-Oct-05, 13:02
Just for anyone who is interested.

Is there anyone out there that thinks the mild weather that we've been having since the mid 1980s has anything to do with Global Warming?

If so think again.

I have been reading a book called Global Warming by John Houghton. He is a leading scientist with the IPCC which was set up to investigate Global Warming. It is totally pro GW and blames carbon dioxide for it.

However, he says that a regional phenomenon called the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO)has been positive and dominating since the mid 1980s. Its effect is to push warm air from the southern tropics to give us mild winters in north western Europe.

There is nowt like a bit of free advertising to push a theory eh?

I have been checking up on some of IPCC's data and I smell a rat.

Tugmistress
16-Oct-05, 14:57
From what i have read in various places across the net, global warming is a natural phenomena, as it can be tracked back through history before us humans started throwing all sorts of chemicals into the atmosphere.
OK we may have speeded it up a bit, maybe not. i do not know and i wont be around in umpteen hundreds of years to look back at any data from now to conclusively prove whether we have or not.
personally for the poll above, my answer is 'none of the above'.

just my opinion. [para]

scotsboy
16-Oct-05, 17:07
Is there anyone out there that thinks the mild weather that we've been having since the mid 1980s has anything to do with Global Warming?
You need to understand the difference between climate and weather.

fred
16-Oct-05, 20:57
Global warming is a problem for future generation to come but I think the biggest affender is America who are only interested in there only econimey and not the enviroment which is wrong .And the thing is if america was in to protecting the global warming and another country wasnt there would be sanctions and allsorts imposed on them different rules for different countrys?

The problem isn't just that Americans use far more than their share of fossil fuels themselves, the problem is that their economy depends on everyone else using more and more fossil fuels as well.

The reason America is so rich they can average over two motor vehicles per household is because oil is sold on the world market in dollars. Around 40% of thier economy isn't real, it's a scam which works because if a country wants oil they have to have dollars so America can just print dollars to pay for their imports. Any other country in the world tried that trick and their currency would just be devalued but America can get away with it because the developing countries like China need oil and thanks to a lot of people dying in Afghanistan and Iraq they have to get it on the world market so they are desperate for dollars. The more oil China uses, the more money America can print and the richer America gets the more SUVs they can afford to run.

fred
16-Oct-05, 21:16
Just for anyone who is interested.

Global warming won't mean warmer weather, for us it could well be the exact opposite, we are on the same latitude as Alaska and Siberia our average temperatures could drop by around 10 degrees.

It would mean more flooding, more frequent and severe storms, more droughts, the extinction of possibly 50% of the worlds species and a huge increase in infectious diseases.

Unfortunately that only covers three horsemen which is why we need Condoleezza Rice as well.

George Brims
17-Oct-05, 19:58
Have no doubt about it, the consensus among climatologists is that global warming is real, and it is caused by emissions of carbon dioxide (and some other gases such as the CFCs that also mess up the ozone layer). Most (though not all) of the doubters just happen to work for fossil fuel companies. There is some debate about degree and timing but little genuine debate any more about the yes/no issue.

The effect is entangled with natural climate cycles, and the result isn't as simple as just "everywhere gets warmer". It is possible for instance that melting of polar ice will increase the flow of fresher sea water from the Arctic into the NW Atlantic, thus shifting the Gulf Stream and giving northern Europe Siberian style winters. Remember Caithness is as far north as Moscow and it's the sea that stops it being as cold.

Now as for Fred's theory about America being rich because they just print money, that's a little further off the wall!

fred
17-Oct-05, 23:15
Now as for Fred's theory about America being rich because they just print money, that's a little further off the wall!

Oh they don't just print dollars, they print treasury bonds as well, China buys more treasury bonds than anyone with their trade surplus, the interest is paid in dollars and China needs loads of dollars to buy oil. China imported no oil at all 10 years ago, last year they imported $550 billion dollars worth. Of course the increase in demand for oil leads to an increase in the price of oil then every oil importer needs more dollars.

So far this year Americas trade deficit is averaging $2 billion a day, that is one hell of a deficit, where exactly is the money coming from?

scotsboy
18-Oct-05, 05:11
From todays Arab News......

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=7&section=0&article=71885&d=18&m=10&y=2005

fred
18-Oct-05, 09:58
From todays Arab News......

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=7&section=0&article=71885&d=18&m=10&y=2005

I like the Chavez plan better :-)

http://www.venezuelanalysis.com/articles.php?artno=1578