PDA

View Full Version : Turkey?

tillygirl
12-Dec-06, 10:47
How many Orgers are having turkey this year? Is anyone going for goose or ham or even chicken? I've a thought on doing a roast joint but is that traditional? Maybe there are vegetarians out there having nut roast.

henry20
12-Dec-06, 10:52
I'll be having turkey :( - I'm having lunch at my Mums, so I just have to go with whats served!

If I was staying at home, I would have had chicken.

jamieS
12-Dec-06, 10:56
We are having an alternative xmas dinner this year consisting of:
Ostrich, Bison, Zebra, Wild Boar, Kangaroo, Blesbok, Crocodile and Kangaroo

I am going to make kebabs with them.

I am also forced to put a turkey on though for the non adventurous types.

emszxr
12-Dec-06, 11:28
we are having venison and a ham

neepnipper
12-Dec-06, 11:35
We're having a free range chicken from Tescos, had one last week for Sunday lunch and it was delicious. Don't have turkey as turkey meat gives dogs the runs and our 5 dogs would not be amused if they didn't have their share of Christams dinner!!

Mister Squiggle
12-Dec-06, 12:07
We have been debating the turkey question at our house, amidst all the pre-Christmas madness. I am opposed to cooking a whole turkey this year as we always have far too many left-overs - the appeal of left-over turkey has a direct diminishing relationship to the number of days since it was cooked.

Furthermore I still have not recovered from a Christmas a couple of years back when our dog managed to steal the picked-over carcass from the fridge (the door of which had been left open by a drunken guest and ... oh you get the picture). Anyway, woke up on the morning after the night before to find turkey remains all over the back garden and the dog looking very sheepish and worried and running around in circles. After a visit to the vet's to pick a bone out of her throat, followed promptly by a whopping bill for the privilege, I swore never again would a whole turkey darken my door, alive or dead.

It looks like ham and some chicken pieces then. The dog has since gone off to meet her maker but the memory lingers on.

Merry Christmas all!

crashbandicoot1979
12-Dec-06, 12:38
We're having chicken and possibly venison aswell. Not keen on turkey - too dry.

Through
12-Dec-06, 12:45
Turkey for sure. Can't get enough of it. Roast one day, sandwiches the next, then comes the curry, then the soup; what's like it? It's only too dry if you cook it too long. Cook it just right and enjoy yourself.

scotty_mags
12-Dec-06, 12:53
Well I do chicken for the kids......duck for the old man...& turkey crown from M&S for me....then boxing day we have sweet & sour mix............:Razz

chaz
12-Dec-06, 13:05
After a long debate in our house all settled for turkey and a big ham, just the desserts to debate now!!

Naefearjustbeer
12-Dec-06, 13:10
Fillet Steak this year again. I cannot remember the las time I ate turkey.

Max
12-Dec-06, 13:15
Chunky chicken in our house! Decided last year - had so much turkey last year felt quite unwell! (or was that the wine?)

squidge
12-Dec-06, 13:46
We are on turkey for lunch nine for Christmas dinner and then left overs for supper and a further four arriving for that.

whole shebang

plumber
12-Dec-06, 15:29
Turkey and all the trimming, and having all the family together, can't wait

candyfloss
12-Dec-06, 15:55
Not sure what we'll be having yet but i quite fancy one of those roast thingys from Tesco's ( anyone tried them yet )
Won't be turkey anyway the kids are not to keen on it.

scotsboy
12-Dec-06, 17:24
Turkey for us..........managed to smuggle the chipolatas in last week!

Whitewater
12-Dec-06, 17:34
Have always been out for Christmas dinner and had to invite guests back for the New Year. However, this year circumstances have reversed roles and we have to do Christmas dinner. It will be turkey and all the trimmings, the starters and puddings will make it interesting, although a well cooked turkey is hard to beat. And of course we always look forward to the sandwiches later, as well as the left overs being cooked up in one form or another on boxing day.

I'm looking forward to the change of roles.

obiron
12-Dec-06, 17:35
well were undecided yet think i will wait to see whats on offer. would like a turkey crown and roast beef.
my sister was talking about having lobster!!!

Billy Boy
12-Dec-06, 17:41
sirlion steak the last 3/4 years,this year roast beef:D

George Brims
12-Dec-06, 18:21
Turkey for us, and will splash out on one of the dearer ones too. At Thanksgiving there were just four of us so we bought a very small and cheap one. Dry as a Weetabix before the milk goes on!

Dr Leask, family doctor in Wick many years ago, told my dad he had once eaten peacock at a regimental dinner when he was in the Army in India. He said it was "like turkey, only not so moist" - the driest thing he had ever eaten.

Oddquine
12-Dec-06, 18:32
I believe I'm having roast duck.....which will be a first for me.....both the first time having duck, and the first time not having to cook at Christmas!

_Ju_
12-Dec-06, 18:32

Where on earth are you getting all these exotic meats from?

I havent decided between Duck rice or dried salted cod ( traditional in Portugal) By the way, does anyone know where I can get a really good and thick dried salted cod in caithness?

jamieS
12-Dec-06, 18:45
[QUOTE=_Ju_;171753]Where on earth are you getting all these exotic meats from?
QUOTE]

Hi Ju, Safari hunting...lol
Nah there is a company called osgrow that sells it.
http://www.osgrow.co.uk

rockchick
12-Dec-06, 21:00
Where on earth are you getting all these exotic meats from?

I havent decided between Duck rice or dried salted cod ( traditional in Portugal) By the way, does anyone know where I can get a really good and thick dried salted cod in caithness?

Three Seas Fish shop used to do them in Wick - might try the fish shops, cuz someone might still do salt cod.

Ricco
12-Dec-06, 21:12
We're going to have that blasted heron if I catch him! Alternatively, it'll probably the heron that goes "gobble, gobble". ;)

paris
12-Dec-06, 21:19
I shall be cooking for 10 this year and its got to be turkey and all the trimmings. Then home made trifle for pudding.
This is how i intend to do it all...
1. prepare all veg the night before.( slurp of wine )
2 catch and kill turkey (slurp wine again )
3 pluck and stuff turkey ( gulp wine as its rather nice )
4 Preheat oven and put turkey in with bacon strips covering the bird, give it a splash of wine !
5 open a new bottle,( sip to taste )
6 let everyone else do the dam Xmas dinner and sit in front of the box with yep....another glass of wine.
JAN X

Stumurf
12-Dec-06, 21:58

i gotta start by asking what blesbok is... :confused

As for myself its going to be the first time i dont have more than 8 to cook for and its going to be my first veggie christmas.. (gulp)..

i am soo going to miss my sausages wrapped in bacon as they are usually my favourite part... but i guess i am the only one here having the dreaded nut roast...

maybe you all could put me a doggie bag together for boxing day?? :Razz

jamieS
12-Dec-06, 22:04
i gotta start by asking what blesbok is... :confused

Blesbok are African Antelopes.

Foxy
12-Dec-06, 22:56
We are having turkey and all the trimmings as usual. :)

SNOWDOG
12-Dec-06, 23:41
We have the usual turkey and trimmings on xmas day then beef or pork on boxing day. It stops you getting scunnered which turkey tends to do!