PDA

View Full Version : Etymology

Rheghead
11-Oct-12, 10:51
Does anyone have an opinion that some words in common use today may reveal something about our pre-Christian past?

I've been thinking that Wicca may have a common linguistic root with Vicar and still meaning a priesthood status.

Circle/circus as in stone circle/ceremonial meeting may have a linguistice common ancestor to Church/Kirk.

Son as in Son of god may share a common linguistic ancestor to Sun?

Reay, has the same root with Ra or Rey as in a King

I'm sure there are more examples.

joxville
11-Oct-12, 12:52
The Zen Buddhists used to have an elaborate ritual before eating, giving thanks to their God for the food provided, and they used various implement when carrying out the ritual, it was known as the Kit Zen, over time it became Westernised and the words joined to become kitchen, though very few of us go through a ritual these days before preparing food.

soulsurfer
11-Oct-12, 18:05
Does anyone have an opinion that some words in common use today may reveal something about our pre-Christian past?

I'd like to think that but it's almost certainly not the case. The etymology of most words is already firmly established and is available on a number of websites as well as our trusty dictionaries.

Sun and son, for instance, come from completely different roots. It's just a coincidence that they sound the same in modern English. Interesting topic though.

As for kitchen and Zen Buddhists... maybe I'm just taking this whole thread too seriously :-)

Rheghead
11-Oct-12, 20:30
I have often wondered whether Sutherland was actually because of someone thought that it meant southern land for the Viking area but I came across a Norse word Sudr which means sheep, it still lives in places like Soutergate, place where you keep sheep. I think sutherland might mean a land that is good for only grazing sheep.

joxville
11-Oct-12, 21:28
As for kitchen and Zen Buddhists... maybe I'm just taking this whole thread too seriously :-)You are. I'm not. I made it up :-)

sids
11-Oct-12, 21:54
I have often wondered whether Sutherland was actually because of someone thought that it meant southern land for the Viking area but I came across a Norse word Sudr which means sheep, it still lives in places like Soutergate, place where you keep sheep. I think sutherland might mean a land that is good for only grazing sheep.

Dreaming up your own etymologies is pretty pointless. You'll learn more from real etymology, written by clever guys.

Rheghead
11-Oct-12, 21:58
Dreaming up your own etymologies is pretty pointless. You'll learn more from real etymology, written by clever guys.

I've tried that argument with respect to Climate Change and renewable energy and the bottom line is that people are only prepared to believe in what they want to believe in so making it up as I go along seems pretty reasonable to me.

sids
11-Oct-12, 23:30
making it up as I go along seems pretty reasonable to me.

It may well do.

But you'll plough a lonely furrow.

secrets in symmetry
11-Oct-12, 23:33
The word pulchritudinous was first use to describe lassies fae Pulteneytown. :cool: