PDA

View Full Version : This is interesting..

Dog-eared
09-Oct-12, 19:32
http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-opinion/6017-there-is-a-nordic-alternative

sids
09-Oct-12, 20:18
Looks like a link to me. What's interesting about that?

gleeber
09-Oct-12, 20:40
When I read bits like that Im glad theres still 2 years to go before the referendum. Im a unionist but Im beginning to see through the political arguments and I dont particularly like them, Either Ruth davidson told lies about the amount of money scots put into the kitty or shes telling the truth. Even if its only half way between it would still be worrying.
The rest of the article paints a nice picture of Nordic society. Im sure though they must have their difficulties too.
She (Lesley Riddoch) may be right and it will be possible to change direction but I think it would take a massive change in attitude to make it worthwhile. Thats what theyre going to have to address and she hints at it. How to get us involved.
Its a good article though.

Dog-eared
09-Oct-12, 20:42
I think Lesley has a point.

theone
09-Oct-12, 23:58
She may well have a point with ragards to people 'paying twice' for insurances etc, and that the Noggies get better benefits for looking after family, paternity etc. But at the same time, having worked there, I don't think they've got the same benefit culture for the permantly unemployed/unemployable.

There's two points I really don't like in the article though:

A country "awash with.......windfarm cash". 'Windfarm cash' does not benefit an independent Scotland. It is a cost, not an income!

"In 1905 Norway was the second poorest country in Europe" What's the point? You can't compare present Scotland with historical Norway.

ducati
10-Oct-12, 02:10
"In 1905 Norway was the second poorest country in Europe" What's the point? You can't compare present Scotland with historical Norway.

Kind of ignores the first and second world war and the American and British cash used to rebuild Europe twice.

midi2304
10-Oct-12, 10:32
Came to this thread expecting 'interesting'. Left disappointed.