PDA

View Full Version : New distillery in Thurso

secrets in symmetry
06-Oct-12, 18:22
This is the article I was looking for in the Groat when I was distracted by the tale of the award winning Secret Entrepeneur.

Work gets under way on Thurso distillery

THE construction of what will become the most northern distillery on the UK mainland is under way on the outskirts of Thurso.

Wolfburn Distillery is expected to be in operation by the start of next year, with its first bottles of whisky likely to be on the market by 2016.
The private consortium behind the project was granted planning permission to build the distillery in June, with the first phase of construction beginning in August.

Good luck to whoever is financing and running this project. The success of our very own award winning Old Pulteney has shown that we're the best in the country at making whisky, so why not expand the industry locally? I don't know whether teanabowlies can make the stuff though. :cool:

I was out drinking last night. Some of our party thought they were drinking a whisky called Old Pulteeny. :cool:

Old Pulteeny is pronounced with the emphasis on "teen".

poppett
07-Oct-12, 17:08
It should have been a factory for Cocoa mountain ..... not a booze factory!

secrets in symmetry
07-Oct-12, 17:17
It should have been a factory for Cocoa mountain ..... I'm confused ... what makes you say that?

John Little
07-Oct-12, 17:45
Whisky fae Thirza?

I'll have some of that! :)

poppett
07-Oct-12, 18:43
Cocoa mountain have been trying for planning permission for a chocolate factory and were turned down...........apart from the basic fact I like chocolate but hate alcohol.

poppett
07-Oct-12, 18:45
Nice to see you "out to play" again John. Your absence has been noted.

John Little
07-Oct-12, 18:52
Why thank you Poppett - t'is nice in you to say so. I like chocolate too and it actually goes well with whisky... :)

secrets in symmetry
07-Oct-12, 19:48
Cocoa mountain have been trying for planning permission for a chocolate factory and were turned down...........apart from the basic fact I like chocolate but hate alcohol.Do you have any idea why Cocoa Mountain's factory proposal was turned down? Was it a case of either Cocoa Mountain or the Wolfburn Distillery? If so, why? Isn't there plenty of space near BT? With the imminent run-down of Dounreay, I would have thought Teanabowlie Land needs all the new industry it can get.

I must admit I'd never heard of Cocoa Mountain until I read your post. I'm not a huge chocolate fan, but their products do look good. I'd rather have a pint of Wolfburn though. :cool:

joxville
07-Oct-12, 20:48
Personally I can't stand whisky, just the smell of it makes me boak, I'd rather see a vodka distillery being built, but good luck to the new venture.

tenabowla
08-Oct-12, 12:28
The original Wolfburn distillery was founded in 1821, five years before the weekers thought about it.

George Brims
08-Oct-12, 18:45
I was out drinking last night. Some of our party thought they were drinking a whisky called Old Pulteeny. :cool:

Old Pulteeny is pronounced with the emphasis on "teen".
Nearly as excruciating as the way Weegies say GlenmoRANJIE.

John Little
08-Oct-12, 20:27
Aw c'mon George. I love the Weegie accent - it's full of character, whisky and history.

What's not to like?

neilsermk1
09-Oct-12, 12:30
Has anyone walked up Wolf Burn recently, I sure hope they are getting the water from some other source.

secrets in symmetry
10-Oct-12, 00:10
Aw c'mon George. I love the Weegie accent - it's full of character, whisky and history.

What's not to like?I think George may be complaining about the combination of the Weegie accent with putting the emphasis on the "ran" of Glenmorangie - instead of the "mor". They're by no means the only non-Highlanders that do that!

As for the source of water for the new brew... Google Street View suggests that the Wolf Burn is little more than a ditch. Is there really enough flow in there to feed a distillery? Could it be that the original distillery closed down due to lack of water?

gerry4
10-Oct-12, 13:40
As for the source of water for the new brew... Google Street View suggests that the Wolf Burn is little more than a ditch. Is there really enough flow in there to feed a distillery? Could it be that the original distillery closed down due to lack of water?

Water for distilleries are not usually taken from a burn but from a underground spring. I think that the investors would of had the spring thoroughly investigated.

secrets in symmetry
10-Oct-12, 23:02
Water for distilleries are not usually taken from a burn but from a underground spring. I think that the investors would of had the spring thoroughly investigated.The Wolfburn website (http://wolfburn.com/about/) states:

The Old…

Founded in 1821 by William Smith, the Wolfburn distillery takes its name from the Wolf Burn – the stream from which the water is drawn (“burn” being the local word for watercourse). The source of the burn is a subterranean spring situated just two miles upstream from the site of the distillery. The spring is situated in an environmentally pristine area and the waters which meander past the distillery remain as clean and as pure as they were in Smith’s day.I take that to mean that the water was drawn directly from the Wolf Burn.

…and the New
In 2011 the vision to revive the distillery became a reality. Plans were submitted to the Caithness authorities and planning consent was subsequently granted. Upon completion, Wolfburn will be the only distillery to be situated on the north coast of Scotland. Building work commenced in the summer of 2012 and in early 2013 casks will once again be filled with the Wolfburn spirit and laid down to mature. The next generation of this single malt whisky is expected to be ready to enjoy in 2016.This, on the other hand, doesn't state explicitly where the water will be taken from. One can interpret "the Wolfburn spirit" in many ways - literal or figurative.

Perhaps one of the Wolfburn dudes could clear this up for us.

secrets in symmetry
11-Oct-12, 00:27
The original Wolfburn distillery was founded in 1821, five years before the weekers thought about it.I forgot to reply to this post - sorry.

Evidently, you are correct - thanks for the info.

Does anyone have any idea why Wolfburn closed down around the middle of the 19th century? Did the burn run dry, did the tax man get at them, or did the owlder teanabowlies forget to teach the next generation how to make the golden brew?

webmannie
11-Oct-12, 09:59
I struggle with the concept that they are contemplating using the wolf burn, i certainly wouldn't drink the water, the oil sheen is noticeable.

tenabowla
11-Oct-12, 12:32
Maybe the Weekers drank it dry before they dried the town of Wick in 1922

secrets in symmetry
11-Oct-12, 23:17
I struggle with the concept that they are contemplating using the wolf burn, i certainly wouldn't drink the water, the oil sheen is noticeable.It adds to the flavour. :cool:

Maybe the Weekers drank it dry before they dried the town of Wick in 1922Lol! Did you know that Mackays Hotel was once the centre of temperance in the town? They say 'e Camps will take on that role next time Wick goes dry. :cool:

secrets in symmetry
02-Feb-13, 02:05
Whisky makers toast first Wolfburn cask (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Whisky-makers-toast-first-Wolfburn-cask-31012013.htm)

THE country’s newest distillery has raised a glass to the first barrel of whisky made in Thurso in over a century.

Wolfburn Distillery began creating its single malt whisky this week at its new premises on the outskirts of the town, metres from where the original distillery was located.

The private consortium behind the project was granted planning permission to build the distillery in June, with construction starting in August and the distillery equipment installed in December.

The first oak casks were filled with the Wolfburn malt on Wednesday, the first such process to take place in Thurso for 136 years.

Wolfburn has now taken Old Pulteney Distillery’s title as the most northern distillery on the UK mainland and it has also been announced the Thurso distillery will be mentioned in the Malt Whisky Yearbook 2013.

The first bottling of the Wolfburn single malt is expected in early 2016 when it is planned to be marketed in the UK and abroad to capitalise on the success of the Scotch whisky industry.

It's hard for a born n bred Weeker to say this, but...

Well done to the Teanabowlies. It's well deserved!

I look forward to 2016. :cool:

EOS
02-Feb-13, 14:37
It should have been a factory for Cocoa mountain ..... not a booze factory!

Well it looks like they have have been forced out of Durness
Paul Maden, 45, and James Findlay, 40, moved to Scotland ten years ago to become chocolatiers.
They set up their luxury chocolate company, Cocoa Mountain, in the remote crofting village of Durness, Sutherland – attracting fans ranging from US senators to Yoko Ono and Prince Charles.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2267517/Gay-chocolatier-couple-leave-Scottish-Highlands-village-suffering-years-homophobic-anti-English-abuse.html#ixzz2JkTnnJoI

Serenity
02-Feb-13, 15:00
Well it looks like they have have been forced out of DurnessPaul Maden, 45, and James Findlay, 40, moved to Scotland ten years ago to become chocolatiers.They set up their luxury chocolate company, Cocoa Mountain, in the remote crofting village of Durness, Sutherland – attracting fans ranging from US senators to Yoko Ono and Prince Charles.Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2267517/Gay-chocolatier-couple-leave-Scottish-Highlands-village-suffering-years-homophobic-anti-English-abuse.html#ixzz2JkTnnJoILuckily most of this seems down to typical daily mail misreporting. Look instead at Cocoa Mountain's facebook page and the following linked article from it:
http://www.chocolatier.co.uk/cocoa-mountain-chocolatiers-never-want-to-leave-durness-01301023.html Sad even this small minority of bigots exist still though.

secrets in symmetry
02-Feb-13, 15:24
Luckily most of this seems down to typical daily mail misreporting. Look instead at Cocoa Mountain's facebook page and the following linked article from it:
http://www.chocolatier.co.uk/cocoa-mountain-chocolatiers-never-want-to-leave-durness-01301023.html Sad even this small minority of bigots exist still though.Yes, it's typical sensationalist lies and crap from the Wail.

It amazes me that people actually pay money to read it every day.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, I await my first glass of Wolfburn - very, very patiently....

MerlinScot
02-Feb-13, 17:51
I've been to Cocoa Mountain in Balnakeil a few months ago and they were still there. And why should anyone force them out of that area anyway? I think that's the only place worth of interest near Durness (unless you're on aurora watching all time).

I don't drink alcohol but I'm pleased to know a new distillery is open, more money in the Thurso area! :)

Keyser_soze
04-Feb-13, 00:11
i look forward to tasting some whisky from thurso, I love the stuff they blend in Wick, it is devine . best in the world in fact, at the moment so Thurso has a lot to catch up on , but the main thing is if it brings some much needed employment to caithness, cant be a bad thing eh ?

Shaggy
04-Feb-13, 00:47
i look forward to tasting some whisky from thurso, I love the stuff they blend in Wick, it is devine . best in the world in fact, at the moment so Thurso has a lot to catch up on , but the main thing is if it brings some much needed employment to caithness, cant be a bad thing eh ?

Might be wrong but i don't recall seeing any jobs advertised for the distillery?

Alrock
04-Feb-13, 01:07
Might be wrong but i don't recall seeing any jobs advertised for the distillery?

Neither have I.... Did once pick up a hitchhiker who had moved up here to work in the distillery (can't remember in what capacity) & asked him if there was going to be any jobs going & was told that there wasn't...
Maybe in 2016 when it comes to bottling time there will be some, assuming the bottling is to be done locally.

Shaggy
04-Feb-13, 11:00
by the way the govt are ramping up taxes, come 2016 you'll need a mortgage to be able to afford a bottle...

golach
04-Feb-13, 11:07
I have worked at a few distilleries, the smallest one in Scotland Edradour has only about 5 staff in the distillery, they have more in their gift shop/visitor centre