PDA

View Full Version : Geochasing

moureen
06-Oct-12, 14:03
Can any out there please tell me how you play Geocashing???? I have read about it on line but I am not sure how you get started then noticed it is starting up in Caithness.Any one that can help please P/M me.Thanks

davem
06-Oct-12, 14:28
Hi
No idea, it is about finding things a particular places that you find with a sat nav or gps on your phone.
If you google Geocaching that might get a clue
http://www.geocaching.com/
good luck

Alrock
06-Oct-12, 14:34
http://youtu.be/-4VFeYZTTYs

dirdyweeker
06-Oct-12, 17:44
Come to the Norseman tonight and there will be a group of us there! Basically, go on to Geocaching.com pick a user name for caching and register. After that look up caches in your area, the coordinates, description etc will be on the listing, then get out your GPS or an appropriate phone app and go find. Can assure your it's a great outdoor hobby. Geocaching.com have videos explaining a lot. Good luck and happy caching!

Alrock
06-Oct-12, 17:59
Come to the Norseman tonight and there will be a group of us there! Basically, go on to Geocaching.com pick a user name for caching and register. After that look up caches in your area, the coordinates, description etc will be on the listing, then get out your GPS or an appropriate phone app and go find. Can assure your it's a great outdoor hobby. Geocaching.com have videos explaining a lot. Good luck and happy caching!

Does sound like fun, unfortunately I have no GPS enabled device.

moureen
06-Oct-12, 18:24
Thanks for replies and the video but like Alrock I have no GPS on phone but will investigate further happy hunting!!

secrets in symmetry
06-Oct-12, 18:42
According to some on this forum, a dowsing rod or a vibrating crystal will do the job just as well as GPS. :cool:

Good luck with your new sport Moureen!

joxville
06-Oct-12, 20:49
You can download an app to most smartphones, the most popular site being geocaching.com. You can register for free, this will give you access to almost 2 million caches worldwide, though some cache owners (CO's) make their caches available only to Premium Members. If you find that you like caching then you can buy Premium Membership which costs $30, about £22. A basic GPSr will cost about £90, but you should be able to pick one up on eBay or amazon a lot cheaper. Many people find once they've really got into caching that need to upgrade their GPSr's so sell their basic one.

Caithness is ripe for caching, there isn't many there, so you can either do it alone or team up with others and put out a series of caches, either as an A to B series or as a circular series. Since I've been caching I've met some great people, we have monthly meets in Hampshire and Berkshire, and it's good to meet CO's to get hints and tips on their caches and setting your own. It's a great way to keep fit, get the kids away from their games consoles, and enjoy our beautiful countryside.

If you want more advice you can join Berkshire Cachers on Facebook, we'll be only too happy to help you. You don't need to be a resident in Berkshire, we have members from all over. My geocaching name is The.Eagle.Has.Landed if you'd like to look up my finds.

PantsMAN
06-Oct-12, 21:25
GeoC has been on the go for years. I`ve been involved for over 8 years and the number of caches in Scotland has grown hugely. It looks as if there are now loads around Caithness and the north.The best android app is called- "c:geo" and it's free. In my experience a phone gps is just not quite accurate enough but would be adequate to give you a taste of the game.Go on - give it a try, it's great fun.The beauty of it is that you can do it on your own if you wish.

dirdyweeker
07-Oct-12, 01:24
Thanks for replies and the video but like Alrock I have no GPS on phone but will investigate further happy hunting!!

pm me anytime you want to go out to try it and I will take you!

midi2304
07-Oct-12, 06:07
The last time me and the wife looked (maybe 2-3 years ago?) there weren't too many in Caithness. We were staying in Aberdeen then and there are heaps round there, as you can imagine. I have the official Geocaching app for iPhone and it is fantastic. Will need to boot it up next weekend when I am back north from this rig.

dirdyweeker
08-Oct-12, 00:25
The last time me and the wife looked (maybe 2-3 years ago?) there weren't too many in Caithness. We were staying in Aberdeen then and there are heaps round there, as you can imagine. I have the official Geocaching app for iPhone and it is fantastic. Will need to boot it up next weekend when I am back north from this rig.

have a look now and i think you will be pleasantly surprised.

joxville
08-Oct-12, 01:32
@ dirdyweeker, you should get yourself down here for a caching holiday, Southern England has thousands to keep you occupied :-), and if you favour puzzle type caches then visit Bracknell, it has more puzzles than traditionals. And there's loads of circular series too in most counties.