PDA

View Full Version : Where to eat in Thurso?

Ojibwa
31-Jan-05, 21:47
Hi just wondering where are the best places in Thurso or Caithness to have a nice meal?

apollo69
31-Jan-05, 21:56
Have a look in the recommendations section on the messageboard, there's loads on there.

Fran
01-Feb-05, 00:38
:lol: I would always recommed the Pentland Hotel, Thurso and the Nerthercliffe Hotel, Wick, great food, big variety and cheap prices, nopt forgetting Dunnet Sands Hotel, Dunnet.

Lou18
01-Feb-05, 09:23
The upper deck is really really nice, and the prices are not that steep either! It's still open for business at the moment, and probably will be for the next few weeks (they are waiting for a contractor to come in to do a refurbishment).

buggyracer
01-Feb-05, 10:10
"The captains galley" scrabster thurso, superb food a little pricey but there is nothing like it north of inverness.

ŠAmethyst
01-Feb-05, 13:59
I have to agree with Fran, Dunnet Sands and the Pentland - always fab!

jay
01-Feb-05, 14:15
try the hotel in Halkirk it's excellent! Upper deck is fine if you want steak or fish

you can also get a really good meal in the college restraunt on a Friday or Saturday night, Leslie Campbell, ex Pentland Hotel Chef is running a restraunt in there but I'm not sure if it's open at the moment

Naefearjustbeer
01-Feb-05, 20:52
The French restaruant in Wick or the Ulbster Arms in Halkirk both top notch grub.

katarina
01-Feb-05, 21:22
the Quiet Piggy in Brora. The train times are good. You can travell down, have a fantastic meal, then travel home, all in one evening. A great night out.

Bobinovich
01-Feb-05, 21:27
We regularly go out for meals in Caithness and have enjoyed many of them! Here's a quick run down of some of the better places...

Bord de l'Eau, Wick - Pricey but good selection and very tasty. Place is a little cold and clinical though

Northern Sands, Dunnet - Used to be dodgy but has been taken over and now very nice and well priced. Quite cosy

The Highlander, Castletown - Good sized portions (and I mean GOOD! :D) and really nice food which is not too expensive. Not much of an atmosphere though

The Park Hotel, Thurso - Very good grub and very consistent quality - especially the steaks Nice and cosy, or semi-secluded depending where you sit, with friendly staff

The Central Hotel, Thurso - A very good range of food at manageable prices. Great when you want to take the kids out as they have a bouncy castle / soft play area and other child-friendly facilities. Stay away during peek times though as it's VERY busy

The Pentland Hotel, Thurso - If you're looking for quality Pasta dishes then here's the place to go. They do plenty of other choices too and is quite decently priced. It's not a bad place to eat in terms of atmosphere either.

Upper Deck, Scrabster - Steak! - say no more. Soon to be refurbished so no real point in talking about the 'decor'.

I'm not saying that you may not get an off night in any of these places but hope this guide is of help to you.

Ojibwa
03-Feb-05, 22:44
Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciatred.

badger
04-Feb-05, 18:19
The Brown Trout in Watten is excellent - very good food at reasonable prices, friendly efficient service.