PDA

View Full Version : WARNING! 220 foot Wind Turbine "900KW" Planned for Sibmister/Weydale area

Emeraldz
05-Oct-12, 16:03
I am posting here for all those who live in the Weydale/Sibmister/Murkle and even Thurso areas who may not have noticed the small advertisment like myself that had been in the John O'Groat Journal on Friday the 28th of September for planning aplication from Sibmister Farm, Murkle for the erection of one 900KW Wind Turbine height to blade tip 67m and roter diameter of 44m. More details available at http://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/ search for planning reference: 12/03461/FUL

Please do not wait to make an objection as only have until 12th of October 2012! It will be very close to houses in the weydale area and will be seen for miles around.

weezer 316
05-Oct-12, 16:43
Great, love them. More green electricity too. Win win.

Emeraldz
05-Oct-12, 16:47
Yeah i like windmills too but not a blooming great 220 foot one across the road from my house obstructing my view and making a noise constantly!

Great, love them. More green electricity too. Win win.

rich62_uk
05-Oct-12, 16:48
I thought they couldnt be too near houses ? And yes they do make a loud noise !

Emeraldz
05-Oct-12, 17:10
Well you would think that but it doesn't appear that way, the first we heard of it was a piece paper in our letter box this morning and according to their maps it's only approx 700m from our living room window! Which for a Turbine of this size is crazy!

I thought they couldnt be too near houses ? And yes they do make a loud noise !

weezer 316
05-Oct-12, 21:14
Yeah i like windmills too but not a blooming great 220 foot one across the road from my house obstructing my view and making a noise constantly!

Oh you own that view do you?

gerry4
05-Oct-12, 22:11
Ok build a nuclear power station there then or do you intend to give up having electricity? Reporting power cuts from 2015 due to lack of power production.

sids
05-Oct-12, 22:32
Ok build a nuclear power station there then.

That's just silly.

mi16
05-Oct-12, 22:57
Well you would think that but it doesn't appear that way, the first we heard of it was a piece paper in our letter box this morning and according to their maps it's only approximatly 1/4 of a mile from our living room window! Which for a Turbine of this size is crazy! Just the one?You've won a watch mate, many folk have to look out on wind farms with over 20 huge turbines.However as you know you don't own the view unless you own the land youre looking at.

Emeraldz
05-Oct-12, 22:58
I really don't think you understand how large and visually intrusive this is going to be and not just for us but for a large area of Thurso, Murkle, Halkirk and even clearly visable as far away as Dunnet.

If you appreciate that the masts on top of olrig hill are 35meters and this turbine would be nearly twice that at 67Meters! The turbine will be next the masts.

Oh you own that view do you?

weezer 316
05-Oct-12, 23:06
I am at a loss with you lot. Do you want electricity or not? Do you want to destroy the environment or not? Its pretty simple really.

Emeraldz
05-Oct-12, 23:11
Where do you think the money is going to come from to pay the high feed in tariffs that this wind turbine will be getting? That right your electricity per unit will greatly increase in price!

I am at a loss with you lot. Do you want electricity or not? Do you want to destroy the environment or not? Its pretty simple really.

mi16
05-Oct-12, 23:14
I really don't think you understand how large and visually intrusive this is going to be and not just for us but for a large area of Thurso, Murkle, Halkirk and even clearly visable as far away as Dunnet.If you appreciate that the masts on top of olrig hill are 35meters and this turbine would be nearly twice that at 67Meters! The turbine will be next the masts.

That is a toy mate Baillie turbines are 110m tall

Emeraldz
05-Oct-12, 23:21
So if you had worked hard all your life to buy a nice family home in an extreamly quiet area of the county and then all your years of hard work were taken away by a monster of a thing outside your front window making a constant noise you wouldn't be bothered?

That is a toy mate Baillie turbines are 110m tall

morvenview
05-Oct-12, 23:28
1 Turbine! lol! not 2,3 or 25 ! just 1!

mi16
05-Oct-12, 23:29
A wee turbine like that won't bother you at all.
For what its worth mate, I have bought a family home in a quiet location and will have a great view of 21 110m turbines.

weezer 316
05-Oct-12, 23:35
So if you had worked hard all your life to buy a nice family home in an extreamly quiet area of the county and then all your years of hard work were taken away by a monster of a thing outside your front window making a constant noise you wouldn't be bothered?

I give in. I'm at a loss as to what to say I really am.

gillsbay
05-Oct-12, 23:37
I have just had a quick look on the planning website and the map appears to show the farmhouse and a couple of houses along the Hilliclay road roughly the same distance (700metres) away with the farmhouse marginally closest, to be 1/4 mile away your house would be well over 1/4 mile from a road, or on the farm ground, also the proposed windmill is quite a bit further down the hill than the masts and more than 1/4 mile away from the closest one. You might get more sympathy if you gave more accurate information instead of trying to make this application look worse than it is.

Kenn
06-Oct-12, 00:29
weezer my objection is that I am getting more that a little fed up with not being able to take a photo with out a windturbine appearing in it.
This county has some amazing sceenery that should be preserved and exploited to tourism so that alot more money would flow in.

mi16
06-Oct-12, 12:06
weezer my objection is that I am getting more that a little fed up with not being able to take a photo with out a windturbine appearing in it.This county has some amazing sceenery that should be preserved and exploited to tourism so that alot more money would flow in. Really?I have my doubts, surely if Caithness was a potential holiday hotspot this would have been exploited years ago.The truth of the matter is that we are committed to renewable energy and at the moment wind is leading the way, I guess turbines are something that we will all have to live with.

Emeraldz
06-Oct-12, 12:11
Apoliologies that i have got muddled slightly but the 1/4 mile from road was on the paper received. Being under such stress is surely going to affect things!
You however have not looked very well as sibmister farm is according to the environmental report 745meters away while 3 other properties along Hilliclay are only 710M, 715m and 720m away. Also not taken into account is the farm is down the hill while the houses are at the same elevation as the Turbine! The noise from this will alone be considerably more for these houses than the farm house, this is shown in the noise assesment carried out in the environmental report appendix 12 as part of their planning application.

I have just had a quick look on the planning website and the map appears to show the farmhouse and a couple of houses along the Hilliclay road roughly the same distance (700metres) away with the farmhouse marginally closest, to be 1/4 mile away your house would be well over 1/4 mile from a road, or on the farm ground, also the proposed windmill is quite a bit further down the hill than the masts and more than 1/4 mile away from the closest one. You might get more sympathy if you gave more accurate information instead of trying to make this application look worse than it is.

Alrock
06-Oct-12, 12:35
....I am getting more that a little fed up with not being able to take a photo with out a windturbine appearing in it....

You do know that you can do quite amazing things with Photoshop (other photo editing software available) these days...

mi16
06-Oct-12, 12:39
If it is in the application then it will be considered by the planners.As said this is a wee baby machineI don't see your issue

Rheghead
06-Oct-12, 13:07
I am posting here for all those who live in the Weydale/Sibmister/Murkle and even Thurso areas who may not have noticed the small advertisment like myself that had been in the John O'Groat Journal on Friday the 28th of September for planning aplication from Sibmister Farm, Murkle for the erection of one 900KW Wind Turbine height to blade tip 67m and roter diameter of 44m. More details available at http://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/ search for planning reference: 12/03461/FUL

Please do not wait to make an objection as only have until 12th of October 2012! It will be very close to houses in the weydale area and will be seen for miles around.

I think your best method to object would be to stat quoting relevant guidance to planners and compare how the guidance compares with your situation.

SPP6 and Pan 45 says that a wind farm would have a significant visual impact if it is less that 2km away. But, a large turbine is about 110m to the tip and at 2km away the angle to the eye of the viewer from base to tip will subtend 3.15 degrees.

Compare that angle to your case of a 76m turbine at 700m, the angle from tip to base subtends 5.46 degrees. In your case this turbine would appear larger than what PAN 45 caters for. You may have a case for objection but the application is just for 1 turbine and that has to be taken into account as opposed to a wind farm application. Obviously, a single turbine may well be placed closer to dwellings due the lesser impact.

I'd like to reiterate a previous poster's point that you are more likely to be ignored or taken less seriously if you do not give the best info to hand or you do not reason the facts that are available in a fair manner. So often do antiwind protesters start quoting such fanciful reasons for objection (that are so easily refuted by just looking at a reputable source) that they all too easily get discreditted and the application goes through.

Good luck.

weezer 316
06-Oct-12, 13:44
weezer my objection is that I am getting more that a little fed up with not being able to take a photo with out a windturbine appearing in it.
This county has some amazing sceenery that should be preserved and exploited to tourism so that alot more money would flow in.

So clean electrcity shoudlnt be generated in he country so you can take photos that dont have windmills in them??

The last time i checked there is literaly tens of thousands of square miles of land in the highlands where such opportunities are still present. And are you willing to trade electricity for windmill=less pictures? I think not.

Nigel Shelton
06-Oct-12, 13:50
If Independance becomes a reality what are you going to do with all the power created by these loads of turbines cos its a sure thing the English wont pay your high Feed in Tarriffs when they have their own, all those offshore to the east of Norfolk and Lincolnshire for a start.Is the Scottish government going to keep paying for these monstrosities to stand idle? If it is then that means us,then watch your fuel bill go. No we dont buy the view but there is nothing wrong in trying to protect it.

Alrock
06-Oct-12, 14:12
...I am getting more that a little fed up with not being able to take a photo with out a windturbine appearing in it....
a
What about... Fences, walls, fields, roads, houses, sheep, cows, telegraph poles, powerlines, regimented blocks of pine trees, etc.... Do you object to them as well?

gerry4
06-Oct-12, 17:38
That's just silly.

Why, we need to generate electricity some how. If it is not wind turbine then how. Power stations are closing and new ones built? They will be beside someones house. Why not yours?

newweecroft
06-Oct-12, 18:08
If you have a nice quiet family home OFF-GRID, fair enough. But if like all the other whiners you use mains electricity SHUT UP! wind or nuclear make your choice.

Ricanna
06-Oct-12, 19:10
As I read it all, it will show as no higher than the big mast already on Sibmister Hill

secrets in symmetry
06-Oct-12, 19:16
I think your best method to object would be to stat quoting relevant guidance to planners and compare how the guidance compares with your situation.

SPP6 and Pan 45 says that a wind farm would have a significant visual impact if it is less that 2km away. But, a large turbine is about 110m to the tip and at 2km away the angle to the eye of the viewer from base to tip will subtend 3.15 degrees.

Compare that angle to your case of a 76m turbine at 700m, the angle from tip to base subtends 5.46 degrees. In your case this turbine would appear larger than what PAN 45 caters for. You may have a case for objection but the application is just for 1 turbine and that has to be taken into account as opposed to a wind farm application. Obviously, a single turbine may well be placed closer to dwellings due the lesser impact.

I'd like to reiterate a previous poster's point that you are more likely to be ignored or taken less seriously if you do not give the best info to hand or you do not reason the facts that are available in a fair manner. So often do antiwind protesters start quoting such fanciful reasons for objection (that are so easily refuted by just looking at a reputable source) that they all too easily get discreditted and the application goes through.

Good luck.That's a good post Rheghead. Not only does it contain some useful objective advice, but this advice is presented in a sympathethic fashion.