PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating

moses
03-Oct-12, 23:02
Has anyone had any powder coating done? What did you think of the results.

joxville
04-Oct-12, 00:13
Powder coating will give you a better result than painting the item, it tends to be thicker so protects longer. Depending on what you want done, you could have it galvanised first then powder coated, it will then have several years of protection from the elements.

George Brims
04-Oct-12, 20:31
Powder coating is definitely superior in finish and much more durable than ordinary paint. I myself have a particular talent for screwing up spray painting, so that's a factor too. However on metal frameworks supporting the instruments we build, we have found the most durable finish is a type of epoxy paint, which you can apply with a foam roller. The stuff is only sold for industrial use over here and I don't know if it's available in the UK. The end result is similar to powder coating but lasts longer, especially in regards to not chipping when someone drops a tool on it.

smithp
05-Oct-12, 19:36
I used to get gates and railings powder coated. There are different grades - which you would need to specify before ordering. It does provide a nice finish but is prone to chipping if in a high usage area. Given the choice I would acid etch the metal and apply paint, purely on terms of cost.