PDA

View Full Version : Wick Solicitors....

radiohead
02-Oct-12, 23:34
Today I went to Georgesons to follow up a long running matrimonial issue, only to be told "she no longer works here and your case has been transferred to this solicitor in Thurso. They will write to you to advise this". This is the second time that my case has been transferred as I originally used Highland Law Practice. Has anybody had the same issues?
Obviously this will involve a 40 mile round trip to sort anything now.

Just Ranting, but would be interesting to know your views.

KCI
02-Oct-12, 23:59
Just wondering - who was your solicitor?
We have had some probs with the same company, and can't get in touch with our solicitor, so just wondering if it's the same one?

kriklah
03-Oct-12, 07:48
sounds familiar, was with HLP, never got any noification about it moving to Georgesons, every time i phone, they take a message and say the solicitor in question will get back to me....... sofar no getting back has occurred. its been 3 years since i started divorce proceedings, and they still have my marriage and all kids birth certificates!!! was planning to phone yet again this week, and maybe go in tomorrow while im in wick, but sounds like id be wasting my time even more.

shaz77
03-Oct-12, 08:58
my husband had that problem with hlp also then went to inverness and talked to a solicitor there and was sorted out in a matter o 2 to 3 months after waiting 2yrs with hlp so best to transfer ur case to inverness

brucedewert
03-Oct-12, 14:21
I am the Principal of Georgesons and I would like to express my sorrow that anyone has been inconvenienced by this change.

You may recall that a Judicial Factor was appointed to Highland Law Practic (http://www.lawscot.org.uk/news/press-releases/2012/february/news_20120216)e in February, this year.

I described it, at the time, as a duty and a privilege to assist the clients of this bankrupt firm.

As far as the Legal Aid clients were concerned, I did this by employing the former partner of HLP who dealt with court work.

Unfortunately, this arrangement has not proved to be financially tenable and, with the agreement of the Scottish Legal Aid Board (http://www.slab.org.uk/), I have asked Fiona MacDonald, Solicitor, Thurso to look after these clients, which she has agreed to do. Fiona is a dedicated Court Solicitor and is experienced in dealing with legal aid cases, so anyone affected will be well looked after.

She intends to contact all of affected clients to inform them of this change.

Fiona can be contacted on 01847 894515 and has an e-mail address of enquiries@macdonaldlaw.co.uk.

This outcome is not ideal. I regret that it was necessary but, happily, it does have the result that those requiring Legal Aid will still be able to obtain it within Caithness.

If you are affected by this and wish to contact me, please do not hesitate to do so at bruce.de.wert@georgesons.co.uk

Bruce de Wert

Crazy Chick
03-Oct-12, 21:56
Maybe it is Highland Law that every divorce up here seem's to take over 3 years to complete. I am still trying to get mine finalised. In all my dealings with Solictors, I have never had to constantly feel I am chasing them up to progress my case, which I have had to do all the time. It is amazing shaz77 how Inverness can sort things out in such a short time...

It was a shame that "Legal Aid" clients were not given any written notice about HLP moving to Georgesons, let alone about Miss MacLennan leaving and our case being moved to yet another Solicitor.

Thank you Mr de Wert for giving us this explanation on here, could I suggest from a customer service point of view that this is printed out and given to effected clients, rather than just being handed a business card by your receptionist!!

KCI
03-Oct-12, 22:18
Have to say I am shocked - had no idea that Miss Maclannan had left! Have been trying to get in touch with her regarding our case, but never had any reply, and this was happening while she was still there.
Have decided to give up on our case, but very disappointed to find out this way.

MacDonaldLaw
03-Oct-12, 22:58
The files have been uplifted from Georgesons and a letter is being issued tomorrow to all affected clients of Georgesons/HLP. The cases where a conflict arises have been identified and are being dealt with by Georgesons. The concentration, this week, has been to ensure that those clients with cases in Court were not left unrepresented as both Georgesons and ourselves were clear that could not happen. Those cases have been covered and the clients represented. Unfortunately circumstances were outside our control and clients are being contacted and advised as quickly as that can be attended to. The firm can meet, and regularly does do so, clients in Wick or at the Office in Thurso. We also have a presence in Orkney. Should anyone have any questions please contact us on 01847 894515 or enquiries@macdonaldlaw.co.uk . The letter, being issued, makes it clear we are happy to act in the cases received but the client has the entitlement to appoint the solicitor of their choice which this firm and Georgesons / the former firm of HLP recognise. The aim is to ensure that clients are served, their cases are prepared and progressed with as little disruption as possible in the circumstances. We hope this clarifies matters and provides a degree of comfort in this unsettling time. Fiona MacDonald, MacDonald Law, 46 Princes St, Thurso, KW14 7AB

brucedewert
04-Oct-12, 07:37
Thank you Mr de Wert for giving us this explanation on here, could I suggest from a customer service point of view that this is printed out and given to effected clients, rather than just being handed a business card by your receptionist!!

I accept that criticism. It was less than ideal. There is, however, nothing I can do about it now except to apologise to anyone who was adversely affected.

I am pleased to see that Fiona MacDonald has posted here and I am sure that this and the letter that she is sending out to clients will be a reassurance.

If anyone does have any particular concerns, however, they should not hesitate to be in touch with me.

Bruce de Wert