View Full Version : Cases from today's sheriff court session

01-Oct-12, 22:34
Bike versus baseball bat in street confrontation sheriff court hears

AN unemployed teenager carried out a baseball attack after his victim made an offensive remark to him.
Sixteen-year-old Duncan Munro admitted the assault and was given a chance to sort out his problems under a six-month supervision order.
The incident took place in Leith Walk, Wick, on February 17, this year, the town's sheriff court heard yesterday.
Senior fiscal depute, David Barclay, said that the victim, John Stewart, was struck once in the stomach which inflicted a bruise. Mr Barclay stressed that the bat had not been introduced by Munro but had been borrowed from someone nearby.
That was confirmed by solicitor Ian Houston, who said that Munro, of 6 Kirkhill, Wick, had encountered Mr Stewart while walking past the latter’s house.
Mr Houston said:”Mr Stewart made reference to a case in which my client had been a witness and passed a remark which my client found offensive. The accused then took possession of the baseball bat from someone nearby . The two men walked towards each other, Mr Stewart holding a child’s cycle which he appeared to be using as a weapon . At that point, Munro struck him with the bat and then retreated from the scene.”
Sheriff Andrew Berry imposed a six-month supervision order to give Munro,a first offender, a chance to liaise with social workers, and the counselling organisation he had already been in touch with.

Texts to ex were 'offensive'

A WICK teenager, who sent offensive texts messages to his ex-girlfriend, was given a chance to demonstrate he can behave himself.
Sentence on Kevan (correct spelling) Fraser, of 57 Glamis Road, Wick, was deferred after he pleaded guilty.
The court was told that the 17-year-old’s long-term relationship with Melissa Mackie had “fizzled out” a fortnight before the text traffic, between September first and second.
Senior fiscal depute, David Barclay, said that messages had escalated from being robust and to the point, to being abusive and threatening and had gone “over the score.” When seen by the police, however, Fraser claimed that some of the text replies he had received from Miss Mackie had been "of a similar and unfriendly nature”.
Solicitor Neil Wilson said that the accused was “thoroughly embarrassed and ashamed” of his actions.
Mr Wilson said that had the offence happened 20 years ago it would have been a case of "the least said, the sooner mended" and would probably not have ended up in court. But because of modern technology, the messages, which were "grossly inappropriate", were on permanent record.
Sheriff Andrew Berry, who noted that Fraser was a first offender and not likely to repeat his conduct, deferred sentence on him for six months.