PDA

View Full Version : abandoned buildings

katarina
01-Oct-12, 18:17
I have started watching 'empty buildings' on BBC at 11.00 oclock in the mornings. It seems that if a property lies empty for a long time, other councils take it over and even give interest free loans to do them up. with so many eyesores lying around the county with people willing to buy them and renovate them, what is wrong with the Highland council?

Commore
01-Oct-12, 18:47
I have started watching 'empty buildings' on BBC at 11.00 oclock in the mornings. It seems that if a property lies empty for a long time, other councils take it over and even give interest free loans to do them up. with so many eyesores lying around the county with people willing to buy them and renovate them, what is wrong with the Highland council?

I don't know what properties you are referring to, are they council property?
Compared with other Councils on a countrywide basis, I thought the Highland Council do rather well one way or another...
in saying that, I have not been in the north very long, however, in my humble opinion, the Highland Council are streets ahead when it comes to renovation / upgrade/ new projects etc,
and in my experience they are on the whole much more tolerant than any other.

The programme you are watching is a good one, making the public aware of the councils who fall far short of their own obligations, but I do think it is targetted more at the English viewers than being Scottish orientated.

Kenn
01-Oct-12, 19:05
I too am dismayed by the number of buildings that are being left to decay although delighted by many that have been restored.
I know that quite a few are owned by private organisations of charitable status and in the present economic climate there often are no funds available to commence the work.
I am not sure what the rules are with regard to croft houses and buildings so perhaps some one who has that knowledge can let us know although I am aware that a certain length of time abd various searches have to be done before the land can be de-crofted.

Duncansby
01-Oct-12, 19:39
Councils can make compulsory purchase orders on properties but only if there isn't a live planning application, in theory an owner can simply keep renewing planning every 5 years and never have any intention of doing anything with the property.

catran
01-Oct-12, 20:08
Wick has quite a few derelict properties, however numerous country crofts past their sell by date are boasting nice new builds.

crofter
01-Oct-12, 23:45
Wick has quite a few derelict properties, however numerous country crofts past their sell by date are boasting nice new builds.

It is Highland Council who make the owners of the numerous derelict country croft houses sign a letter saying they cannot renovate the property once a new build goes up on the croft. I agree there are a lot of old croft houses that could be renovated, I own one and got quotes for renovating before I put up a new build. The reason I went for the new build is that the quotes for renovating were about the same as a new build. I then had to sign the letter saying it is a replacement and the old property cannot be renovated and used as a dewelling house again.

David Banks
02-Oct-12, 00:26
What about the situation where a "historic" or "heritage" classification is applied, making the cost of repair/renovation so high that a building has to be left to the elements?

Commore
02-Oct-12, 11:04
It is Highland Council who make the owners of the numerous derelict country croft houses sign a letter saying they cannot renovate the property once a new build goes up on the croft. I agree there are a lot of old croft houses that could be renovated, I own one and got quotes for renovating before I put up a new build. The reason I went for the new build is that the quotes for renovating were about the same as a new build. I then had to sign the letter saying it is a replacement and the old property cannot be renovated and used as a dewelling house again.

That is disgraceful, but you are right in as much as renovations costs are much the same as a new build, we went for the renovation of the original croft house rather than a new build, just a matter of preference, I cannot think why the council would not allow both, after all it is your croft, your land and it ought to be your choice.

crofter
02-Oct-12, 11:13
That is disgraceful, but you are right in as much as renovations costs are much the same as a new build, we went for the renovation of the original croft house rather than a new build, just a matter of preference, I cannot think why the council would not allow both, after all it is your croft, your land and it ought to be your choice.

There is supposed to be a major shortage of housing in the north, you would think the council would be encouraging the owners of these properties to allow renovations and allow these properties back into use. Anyone who could do the work themselves it would justify them renovating but I couldn't and even found it difficult to get any businesses to quote for the work.

katarina
02-Oct-12, 12:06
To crofter.
No. I'm referring to a property that is attached to a property I own. We have tried to buy it as have many others, but the problem is that the legal ownership cannot be established, so in the meantime it is left to fall into ruins, reducing the value of adjoining houses. Slates are falling off the roof making it a real danger. Furthermore, the outhouses at the back are dangerous. Two children to my knowledge have fallen through the roof already. My own property is constantly being vandalised because of the close proximity. I cannot sell my property, as, who would want to live next to this ruin?

ducati
02-Oct-12, 12:07
What about the situation where a "historic" or "heritage" classification is applied, making the cost of repair/renovation so high that a building has to be left to the elements?

There is no 'get out' in these cases. The owner is responsible for the condition of the building and will be prosecuted if it deteriorates. If you do not keep them insured and for instance it burned down, you would be responsible for the cost of putting it right. If you have one of these, and don't intend to restore, the best advice is sell it, cheap!

katarina
02-Oct-12, 16:10
Councils can make compulsory purchase orders on properties but only if there isn't a live planning application, in theory an owner can simply keep renewing planning every 5 years and never have any intention of doing anything with the property.

What if there is no owner?

Commore
02-Oct-12, 18:39
There is supposed to be a major shortage of housing in the north, you would think the council would be encouraging the owners of these properties to allow renovations and allow these properties back into use. Anyone who could do the work themselves it would justify them renovating but I couldn't and even found it difficult to get any businesses to quote for the work.

Maybe it is not all down to the council, the crofting commission are actively putting a stop to speculators of croft land, in saying that I totally agree with all that you have written and with regard to allowing these old croft house back into use, only one problem there that I can see is who? would work the croft, the owner or the tenant? because it is illegal for an owner/occupier / landlord / to be a tenant at the same time.

Duncansby
02-Oct-12, 19:05
What if there is no owner?

No sure...I take it you've tried asking the council and they don't know. What about the Registers of Scotland (http://www.ros.gov.uk/professional/eservices/property_search/searchform.html)?

crofter
02-Oct-12, 20:37
Maybe it is not all down to the council, the crofting commission are actively putting a stop to speculators of croft land, in saying that I totally agree with all that you have written and with regard to allowing these old croft house back into use, only one problem there that I can see is who? would work the croft, the owner or the tenant? because it is illegal for an owner/occupier / landlord / to be a tenant at the same time.

Crofting commission have no say in mine as my croft is not registered with them.

katarina
02-Oct-12, 21:53
Who says it was only for England?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/series/empty-homes

Duncansby
02-Oct-12, 22:10
I think they've just used a stock photo which happens to be in Scotland. Housing is a devolved issue and the Scottish Government has an Empty Homes Loan Fund (http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Built-Environment/Housing/investment/grants/EmptyHomesLoanFund) which is separate from the Empty Homes Fund (http://www.homesandcommunities.co.uk/ourwork/empty-homes).

Dadie
02-Oct-12, 22:15
There are a lot of shells of buildings around the two towns that are in desperate need of repair (or knocked down and rebuild).
If compulsory purchase orders could be served.....how long and how much would it cost to get them back into habitable condition.
Probably more than they would be worth done up in this climate!

Duncansby
02-Oct-12, 22:21
Very true Dadie - gives the town such a down trodden look but unless a private developer can be brought in very unlikely to happen especially when the Highland Council are looking to make £29.7 million worth of savings over the next 2 years. Just need to look at the Buildings at Risk register (http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/)to see just how many there are around Caithness.

katarina
04-Oct-12, 09:12
I think they've just used a stock photo which happens to be in Scotland. Housing is a devolved issue and the Scottish Government has an Empty Homes Loan Fund (http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Built-Environment/Housing/investment/grants/EmptyHomesLoanFund) which is separate from the Empty Homes Fund (http://www.homesandcommunities.co.uk/ourwork/empty-homes).

It appears from quickly looking over this link, that there is money available to councils to do up empty properties via the Scottish gov. Hmmmm.

Fidelis
04-Oct-12, 22:38
Much worse to my mind,than abandoned buildings are the ghastly new houses spreading through the countryside. What are the planners thinking about? Horrible, inappropriate "bungalows", totally out of keeping are springing up everywhere. I know its more expensive to resore old buildings using traditional materials, but even so, if people havent any aesthetic sense, surely the planning department should refuse permission for these monstrosities?

Dadie
04-Oct-12, 22:45
new builds ...are restricted by planning!
And have to go through loads of hoops before turf is lifted!
So all objections etc are done with beforehand and the building commences...grand designs or "normal" *sigh*