PDA

View Full Version : Extension lead for PC

felis silvestris
10-Dec-06, 19:48
Hi everyone - I'm trying to set up BT broadband, having problems which I think may be due to the length of the extension lead to connect the PC. Does anyone use an extension lead for their PC and what is the longest you can get away with (I need one at least 11.5 metres long). Of course it maybe the distance from the exchange but the web site said I'd be ok. Thanks for any help.

Antediluvian
10-Dec-06, 20:57
The length of lead shouldn't be a problem, the range for maximum speed is about 1.5km, and ultimate range is approx 8km wire length from exchange, chance that 11.5m pushes you over 8km is remote.

Check you have an adsl filter between the extension lead and your telephone socket. If you have more than one phone socket, each must have an adsl filter installed, this includes sockets with modems and fax machines connected.

Are you connecting with a separate adsl modem or an adsl router?

maidencaithness
10-Dec-06, 21:31
Hi everyone - I'm trying to set up BT broadband, having problems which I think may be due to the length of the extension lead to connect the PC. Does anyone use an extension lead for their PC and what is the longest you can get away with (I need one at least 11.5 metres long). Of course it maybe the distance from the exchange but the web site said I'd be ok. Thanks for any help.

Best to use a long RJ11 cable if possible as extension cables aren't designed to carry digital signals, in saying that I use a short 3m cable and it isn't on master phone socket and still get 7.6mb connection.

Antediluvian
10-Dec-06, 22:06
Ah right hang on, where do you have the filter?

If you have the filter, then the telephone cable plugged into the phone out, then the digital signal is filter out of the line. If you insist on doing it this way, then you need to plug in cable, plug filter into end of extension, then use the rj11 socket between your filter and modem..

Extension cable has no problems carrying digital signals well, but your filter is removing them from the line