PDA

View Full Version : white christmas

funky-dunky
10-Dec-06, 13:13
are we going to have a white christmas this year or is it still going to be like every year the horrible one without snow??

Phoenix200416
10-Dec-06, 13:18
Well, it was a white xmas a couple of years back. I remember because I was walking my dog round the cliff in a blizzard on xmas morning. That was really nice. I don't think it will be a white xmas this year tho. It's too damp and its not really cold enough. I don't think the snow will come until Feb or something.

funky-dunky
10-Dec-06, 13:19
Well, it was a white xmas a couple of years back. I remember because I was walking my dog round the cliff in a blizzard on xmas morning. That was really nice. I don't think it will be a white xmas this year tho. It's too damp and its not really cold enough. I don't think the snow will come until Feb or something.

please dont say that lol it is febuary i have to go down to hospital to have my baby's lol.

gmac78
10-Dec-06, 13:20
are we going to have a white christmas this year or is it still going to be like every year the horrible one without snow??

Remember (I think it was two years ago) we had an amazing flurry of snow a couple of years ago?

I would love that again, it makes Christmas so much more cosy and atmospheric!

Phoenix200416
10-Dec-06, 13:23
please dont say that lol it is febuary i have to go down to hospital to have my baby's lol.

Well good luck! And congratulations! I think you'll get down to the hospital ok. The snow was quite late last year.

elaine
10-Dec-06, 13:24
oh yeah! I remember that!

Fingers crossed for this year - you never know!

funky-dunky
10-Dec-06, 13:25
Well good luck! And congratulations! I think you'll get down to the hospital ok. The snow was quite late last year.

thanks and hope so hope i can get down i have to go down on the 19th feb hope it aint snowing then or when i come home with my twins lol.

Through
10-Dec-06, 13:32
One year, the snow was so bad, we couldn't drive out to my mother-in-laws.

kas
10-Dec-06, 14:07
http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=uk714day2;page=9;type=free;ct=284 59~Thurso;sess=

Not looking like it from Netweather although forecasting weeks ahead is not accurate. I am sure Tugmistress will keep us up to date nearer the time.

Ricco
10-Dec-06, 17:25
There is a guy down the road from me who, besides selling Christmas trees, is also selling sacks of 'snow' for £20. The front of his garden looks as though someone has gone berserk with a paint sprayer and white paint. Probably won't wash away and his garden sure look as daft as you can imagine. :D

paris
10-Dec-06, 17:42
we dont get snow like we did years ago. i can remember my dad built me a sledge and i had many a good time on it . jan x

Bill Fernie
10-Dec-06, 18:46
Paris you cannot be forgetting last Feb/March already.. Remember all those photos that flowed into the web site - see here http://www.caithness.org/fpb/february2006/photogallery/index.php?gallery=16

connieb19
10-Dec-06, 18:49
Wasn't it 2 years ago we were practicaly snowed in ?

Bill Fernie
10-Dec-06, 19:23
Lots of weather photos at http://www.caithness.org/atoz/weather/index.htm
Includes some from 2004 winter.

bobsgirl
10-Dec-06, 19:41
I would love to have a White Christmas, even if it is just a we all wake up it starts to snow.

I remember we have had a few white Christmas's and wondered is there a pattern?
For our Son's first Christmas year 2000 it was white, for our Daughter's first Christmas 2002 it was white and when we had our Nephew come live with us in 2004 it was white again.......so is it going to be every second year and make it White again????

PLEASE!!!!!!

mums angels
10-Dec-06, 20:40

It was quite late last year..i remember it well...we went to inverness to buy a new car and weather was fine but i was taken by surprise by the snow on the way home and crashed my car due to the snow being very slippy ...very ironic but first vehicle that came to my aid was a gritter (shame it wasn't there few mins earlier.)

shortest time ever to own a new car - 1hr 30mins :(

foxy-jnr
11-Dec-06, 20:18
i hope we have a white christmas !! it would make xmas even more special :D

SeaviewFlowers
11-Dec-06, 20:22
snow, more the merrier............

WeeBurd
11-Dec-06, 22:05
No snow before Christmas please, we're driving home from a visit south on Christmas Eve, and hope for a safe and univentful journey! Dunno if Santa is allowed to delivery to an alternative delivery address without prior written consent! [lol]

tillygirl
12-Dec-06, 10:40
Hope it does snow, not that it's good news for those of us heading off to family in Inverness but it makes it feel like Christmas. Think of all those Christmas cards with their snowy scenes. There's nothing worse than looking out onto a rainy, widswept landscape when it should be white. I've got my fingers crossed.

wifie
12-Dec-06, 14:30
Can anyone post photos of snow of years gone by like in the 50s or 60s when they were corkers?

Errogie
14-Dec-06, 20:32
So if you all want a white Christmas in Wick why don't you harness the collective positive thought power of Orgers to make it happen.

You could even have the Moderators or Chief Fernie and one of his accolytes lead a snow dance around the High Street to the harbour wall and possibly make a modest sacrifice of a bubly jock (turkey) somewhere in the vicinity. There is a whole rich folk tradition waiting to be rediscovered out there which could really put Wick on the map and make it a destination for seasonal revellers not too mention the raffle tickets, lotteries and side bets on whether the Snow God will touch down or not.

grantyg
15-Dec-06, 00:51
well there is a site dedicated to ------- probably the wettest greenest xmas but the new year went cccrrrazy...............

http://www.winter1947.co.uk/

I`m far to young to even be a twinkle in my dads eye ........... in fact he was probably reading janet and john then oh and sledging!

danc1ngwitch
18-Dec-06, 16:47
puts on cyber gloves picks up cyber snowball and throws [lol] yip iv gone cybering mad... oh no that sounds rude ah well

scorrie
18-Dec-06, 17:20
Here are the odds on a White Christmas in various locations.

Edinburgh 5/2
Birmingham 4/1
Manchester 5/1
Cardiff 11/2
London 8/1

I spoke to a guy last year who wanted to bet on it NOT being a White Christmas. He inadvertantly pressed the wrong button and bet a Grand that it WOULD be a White Christmas. Ho Ho Ho!!

Through
18-Dec-06, 22:20
Here are the odds on a White Christmas in various locations.

Edinburgh 5/2
Birmingham 4/1
Manchester 5/1
Cardiff 11/2
London 8/1

I spoke to a guy last year who wanted to bet on it NOT being a White Christmas. He inadvertantly pressed the wrong button and bet a Grand that it WOULD be a White Christmas. Ho Ho Ho!!

What are the odds for Thurso or Wick then?

Cedric Farthsbottom III
18-Dec-06, 22:35
Passed on Bridge Street this mornin a group o' brass monkeys who were all looking doon at the ground wi sad expressions on their faces.They did say it wis awfy cauld so theres a good chance it could be a White Christmas.Hope it is,then a can do ma Bing Crosby impression on Christmas Day......[lol]

Through
18-Dec-06, 22:50
Passed on Bridge Street this mornin a group o' brass monkeys who were all looking doon at the ground wi sad expressions on their faces.They did say it wis awfy cauld so theres a good chance it could be a White Christmas.Hope it is,then a can do ma Bing Crosby impression on Christmas Day......[lol]

Oh no Cedric, not that, not the singing and the vocalising and the... Sorry, I'll shut up.

It's not just a cold thing though. We need the right clouds and pressure and stuff.

embow
18-Dec-06, 23:11
Can anyone post photos of snow of years gone by like in the 50s or 60s when they were corkers?

Try here for recent pics including the White Christmas of two years ago
http://www.caithness.org/atoz/weather/index.htm

Cedric Farthsbottom III
18-Dec-06, 23:34
Oh no Cedric, not that, not the singing and the vocalising and the... Sorry, I'll shut up.

It's not just a cold thing though. We need the right clouds and pressure and stuff.

I'll whisper it........ye know me but I don't know ye.Yer very brave!!!!