PDA

View Full Version : Viking Museum

Kenneth
28-Sep-12, 12:50
Is there a dedicated Viking museum in Caithness?

Do you think with the level of Viking finds / activity, Caithness should warrant one?

Duncansby
28-Sep-12, 13:13
There was the Northlands Viking Centre in Auckengill but it was rebranded a few years ago as the Caithness Broch Centre (http://www.caithnessbrochcentre.co.uk/centre.html). I've not been in in a good few years (couple of decades probably!) but I'm sure they may still have viking based displays.

starfish
28-Sep-12, 13:16
there is a museum type centre at auckengill sorry someone must have sent their message at the same time

Rheghead
28-Sep-12, 18:40
I've heard it said that Highland Council will not support any venture that showcases Caithness' Viking heritage because they do not want to threaten Orkney and Shetland tourism interests which already have a foothold. Dunno if there is any real truth behind that though.

gleeber
29-Sep-12, 20:52
I've heard it said that Highland Council will not support any venture that showcases Caithness' Viking heritage because they do not want to threaten Orkney and Shetland tourism interests which already have a foothold. Dunno if there is any real truth behind that though.
If I was to hire some kind of mind scientist whizz kid to analyse why you posted such an unscientific post, and especially considering your org personna and an unwavering opinion that science is king, Im sure he would come to the opinion that your a wind-up merchant. [lol]
caithness reeks of Vikings. Thats the smell you get when you go out in the morning. its the Vikings. Theyre everywhere. Sometimes if I listen I can hear them too but thats just my imagination.
Theres a few interesting Viking bits in the Town Hall museum in Thurso. Theres lots of Viking history in caithness.

secrets in symmetry
30-Sep-12, 13:19
Gleeber is right, there are Vikings everywhere in Caithness. I'm one, and he must be if he can smell them. :cool:

How about a Viking/Norse history centre with an annual Vikings vs Gaels fight to the death live on TV? :cool: