PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP reboot

Rheghead
09-Dec-06, 20:49
Is there a one click fix for Windows XP so that it will delete all the unused logs and stuff that we won't need? My windows folder is now 3GB in size now and I'm unsure what to delete. If not is it possible to reinstall windows so that it will do the same?:confused

Thanks in advance folks!:D

Rheghead
09-Dec-06, 21:33
Just another point which is puzzling me. :) I have 2 drives on my laptop, C&D, is it possible to add memory from one drive to the other to make room for a big program? That might be a stupid question but hey!

BTW, I have a 320GB external hard drive on order from Amazon but I want to run a large program in the meantime.

maidencaithness
09-Dec-06, 23:57
Windows XP has a built in cleaner, which is rubbish, so best to go to www.majorgeeks.com
and choose from the large amount of downloadable tools many of which are Freeware.

Your laptop probably has 1 hard drive C and 1 optical drive D which cannot be combined as optical drive only reads and writes from/to cdr/dvdr, if it has 2 hard drives then you could create a RAID array combining the 2 drives. This depends if your motherboard supports RAID, it also increases risk of loss of data as if 1 drive fails you lose all data.

Best to install a larger hard drive, external are fine but if your laptop is meant to be carried around then the last thing you want is extra boxes to take along.

Just another point which is puzzling me. :) I have 2 drives on my laptop, C&D, is it possible to add memory from one drive to the other to make room for a big program? That might be a stupid question but hey!

BTW, I have a 320GB external hard drive on order from Amazon but I want to run a large program in the meantime.

Rheghead
10-Dec-06, 01:05
That majorgeeks site was great! I had a good clearout! Thanks:D

maidencaithness
10-Dec-06, 01:38
That majorgeeks site was great! I had a good clearout! Thanks:D

Good pity they don't have a tool to clear out the house too!

blueivy
15-Dec-06, 20:55
Your laptop probably has 1 hard drive C and 1 optical drive D which cannot be combined as optical drive only reads and writes from/to cdr/dvdr, if it has 2 hard drives then you could create a RAID array combining the 2 drives. This depends if your motherboard supports RAID, it also increases risk of loss of data as if 1 drive fails you lose all data.

Hi maidencaithness,

RAID drives need either a RAID controller or an operating system supporting RAID (such as Windows Server). Software RAID done by the operating system should only be used as a last resort as it's very slow compared to hardware based RAID controllers (and doesn't support any of the advanced features of hardware RAID). Rheghead won't be using a server based operating system on his laptop (or maybe he is!?!? :-)) nor will his laptop support hardware based RAID either so that won't work.

Windows XP allows a dynamic disk to be created that will allow Rheghead to use two disks as one, however you need to convert your disk to a dynamic disk which means destorying everything on it!

If the hard drive is split into C & D partitions then you can adjust these partition sizes using third party software. Paragon's Disk Management Suite will allow you to do this for example but there are many others.