PDA

View Full Version : Halkirk Broadband enabled?

daviddd
30-Jan-05, 00:46
According to the schedule Halkirk should have been enabled last week - did this happen does anyone know? :eek:

zagor
30-Jan-05, 20:47
I think it has been enabled because I tried to register for broadband on the 25th and was told the network didn't support tried again on the 26th( the date it was scheduled to be enabled) and it worked

daviddd
31-Jan-05, 19:57
OK ta, I'll give wanadoo a go!

peter macdonald
31-Jan-05, 23:00
Broadband has definately been enabled and i think there are at least 10 folks on ADSL

ajr
01-Feb-05, 16:19
Halkirk was enabled on the 26th January but like everywhere else in the UK once enabled it takes approx 5-7 working days to actually get it enabled on your phone line due to the fact that they (BT etc) need to go and do something to your line. This is happening on the 3rd (Thursday) for most people)

The 3rd was the earliest BT were giving you broadband. Hope this helps and happy surfing

Colin Manson
01-Feb-05, 20:06
It depends on the ISP that you sign up with, I know someone that has had it since the weekend.

BT seem to be one of the ISPs that takes slightly longer to get people connected.

01-Feb-05, 20:15
. . . .so when is Lybster broadband due then . . .?????

Colin Manson
01-Feb-05, 20:21
ADSL enable date: 23 Feb 2005 (21 days to go)

ajr
01-Feb-05, 22:53
Cheers Colin, that's not the story from BT but no surprise there really!!

kani
02-Feb-05, 12:42
What about sunny Thrumster?

misschief
02-Feb-05, 13:37
Is westfield, lieurary, shebster and reay area getting enabled? and if so does anyone know when

Colin Manson
02-Feb-05, 14:54
The only places that are being enabled soon are - Lybster (23/02/2005) and then Watten (04/05/2005)

The rest of the exchanges are listed as 'Currently unviable'

That means that they won’t be enabled under the current BT scheme.

peter macdonald
05-Feb-05, 15:37
All the smaller exchanges which are said to be unviable were due to be enabled for ASDL later this year under a scheme where the Scottish Executive would provide cash to pay for exchange installation However the Exec has not chosen a provider to provide the service and so things are at a halt until they make a decision.I e mailed Jamie Stone MSP twice about this delay which affects a large portion of rural scotland and did not even get a reply!! The only way to get action on this issue is to write to your MP MSP

webmannie
05-Feb-05, 16:55
I believe the contract is being let sometime this month, it will then depend on the winners enablement timetable.

I guess it will be he (or she) who shouts loudest, get onto your MP

captain chaos
05-Feb-05, 17:05
The only places that are being enabled soon are - Lybster (23/02/2005) and then Watten (04/05/2005)

The rest of the exchanges are listed as 'Currently unviable'

That means that they won’t be enabled under the current BT scheme.

You seem to have forgotten Barrock, is to be enabled on 20th April 2005 :D

daviddd
06-Feb-05, 14:02
thanx all - I'm gonna try Wanadoo to see if i can convert.

daviddd
06-Feb-05, 14:20
well that was easy, just took 10 mins to convert from dial-up to broadband. Just have to wait a few days for the new modem to come, fit it, then we're away! As we're 5 miles from Halkirk we only get 512K speed, rather than 1024 closer to the exchange. Wanadoo say that will mean we are "up to 10 times faster" rather than "up to 20 times faster" in halkirk itself, but we'll see! It's only £1 more a month and at least we'll be able to use the phone at the same time, so any increase in speed will be a bonus. And I understand broadband is a more secure connection in terms of fraudsters etc.?

06-Feb-05, 21:06
Well thats reassuring to know that the "conversion" process is speedy & simple.

AS for security then it all depends doesn't it........ Spyware, Malware, Adware, Trojans & Viruses all make it a bit of a minefield.
I've been very impressed recently with the FREE AVG 7.0 from www.grisoft.com and also use the usual raft of spyware tools such as Spybot, Adaware, Reg Cleaner, CCleaner, Spyware Blaster etc........ all free downloads from www.download.com.

Bit Defender Pro is also quite good, altho its firewall is nothing special the other components seem to work well.

daviddd
06-Feb-05, 22:51
[quote="307"]Well thats reassuring to know that the "conversion" process is speedy & simple.

AS for security then it all depends doesn't it........ Spyware, Malware, Adware, Trojans & Viruses all make it a bit of a minefield.
I've been very impressed recently with the FREE AVG 7.0 from www.grisoft.com we downloaded AVG 7, but we were told we have to pay for it now and seem to have lost it!

daviddd
06-Feb-05, 22:55
has anyone else recently connected to Broadband at 512K - if so, what was the diff in performance c/f dial-up?

08-Feb-05, 10:24
AVG FREE version available at this webpage
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/