PDA

View Full Version : Scotland and Europe

ducati
21-Sep-12, 08:14
Could be a hilarious situation in a couple of years when Scotland is trying to get into Europe and UK is trying to get out! :lol:

Corrie 3
21-Sep-12, 09:24
Yes............Hilarious !

RecQuery
21-Sep-12, 09:44
It's only the crazy extremists who want to leave Europe. Even the Conservative leadership just uses that line when campaigning they don't actually mean it. Any who make this statement doesn't realise how much leaving Europe would screw over the UK they just buy into the lying tabloid scare stories about European inteference.

ducati
21-Sep-12, 10:06
It's only the crazy extremists who want to leave Europe. Even the Conservative leadership just uses that line when campaigning they don't actually mean it. Any who make this statement doesn't realise how much leaving Europe would screw over the UK they just buy into the lying tabloid scare stories about European inteference.

Actually, there has never been less benefit and more cost to being part of Europe. If leaving is on the cards, now is the time.

Oddquine
21-Sep-12, 12:35
Actually, there has never been less benefit and more cost to being part of Europe. If leaving is on the cards, now is the time.

Nope..the time is after the Independence vote, when, if there is a No vote, the UK will choose for Scotland, as they have been doing since the Union...and if there is a Yes vote, Scotland will choose for itself. Anything decided before that is the UK trying to dictate Scotland's future before finding out if they have that right.

Personally, in an independent Scotland, I'd probably vote No to joining the EU, as I did to staying in it when we had that vote option as a part of the UK. However if we got a vote before 2014, I'd be inclined to vote to stay in, in order to give Scotland the opportunity to make up its own mind when/if the time comes.

ducati
21-Sep-12, 15:13
Nope..the time is after the Independence vote, when, if there is a No vote, the UK will choose for Scotland, as they have been doing since the Union...and if there is a Yes vote, Scotland will choose for itself. Anything decided before that is the UK trying to dictate Scotland's future before finding out if they have that right.

Personally, in an independent Scotland, I'd probably vote No to joining the EU, as I did to staying in it when we had that vote option as a part of the UK. However if we got a vote before 2014, I'd be inclined to vote to stay in, in order to give Scotland the opportunity to make up its own mind when/if the time comes.

Current pressures and political expediency may make this impossible. We can't hold up the future of the UK to accomodate the SNP's timetable.

Oddquine
21-Sep-12, 17:50
Current pressures and political expediency may make this impossible. We can't hold up the future of the UK to accomodate the SNP's timetable.

Why not? About time Scotland was considered in the scheme of the Union hegemony. ;)

Anyway I should think that even if a decision was made by the UK Government tomorrow to leave the EU, (which it won't be), making a decision is the easy part..accomplishing anything connected with that decision is likely to be a lot less speedy than the usual political knee jerk reaction to everything.

I think it is going to take the UK as long to get out of the EU as it is going to take the rUK and Scotland to negotiate an acceptable debt/asset settlement between rUK and Scotland after a vote for independence..and two years isn't long enough to get a Bill through Westminster, negotiate with the EU and placate MEPs, imo.

piratelassie
22-Sep-12, 17:26
Scotland is already in Europe. After independence, does that mean that England Wales and N Ireland wont be members either?

Corrie 3
22-Sep-12, 17:38
Europe or not, todays crowd was very big in Edinburgh!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-19685144

C3.

ducati
22-Sep-12, 19:14
Scotland is already in Europe. After independence, does that mean that England Wales and N Ireland wont be members either?

Quite possibly