PDA

View Full Version : New Heating systems

gordie
20-Sep-12, 21:35
Hi we are in the process of planning a new house and can't decide on the best source for the heating system. Looking at ground source or wood pellet burner. Both have green backing so no differ there, but we are a bit worried about the cost to run ground source if the cost of electric keeps going up as more green power comes on stream. Wood pellets seem a simple option but we dont know anyone who has installed a system to ask for true running costs. Any words of advice would be gratefully received. Cheers Gordie

cptdodger
20-Sep-12, 21:58
We had our enclosed coal fir removed in February (by the council) and an Air Source Heat Pump installed. It's a big box that sits outside. The only way I can describe how it works is, it's like a fridge but in reverse, ie it takes heat from the outside air to heat the house and hot water. We also had two solar panels put up, which seemingly pays for the hot water. I have no idea how much it cost to install, however, the cost of running it has calmed down now it is working properly, it was'nt for the first few months, but that was'nt the systems fault. If you take into account, depending on the weather i was paying between £20/30 per week for coal + kindling, firelighters and electricity, it is cheaper. I also went onto economy 10, so the system is set up around that. What to do is give the Energy Saving Trust a call on 0800 512 012, they will be better to advise you on your heating options, depending on where you are building your house and so on.