PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer

moses
19-Sep-12, 22:20
I noticed by todays P & J their was a small article about Internet Explorer having a security flaw and were advised not to use it until this has been rectified, just letting you know in case you missed it. I have changed to Opera and I don't think I will be going back, it's at least twice as fast, You can get it on the disc that came with Sept edition of Computer Active Ultimate Guide. It was very easy to install for those of you who are afraid to change these things. I presume you can download it, but that would mean going on the Internet using Internet Explorer!

RecQuery
19-Sep-12, 22:39
It's sort of related to a massive Java RE 1.6/1.7 bug affecting all browsers across all operating systems with that version of the official Java plugin. The bug has been known about for 6 months and Oracle still haven't released a patch though individual OSes, browsers and vendors have.

It's pretty serious for IE and Windows though because they have crap privilege escalation and there's a successful 0-day attack vector for it out there. Bit more info here (http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/09/critical-zero-day-bug-in-microsoft-internet-explorer/).

Never actually tried Oracle though it has to be better than IE. I recommend Firefox myself, I love it for the speed, configurability and the add-ons. One of the Webkit browsers Chrome or Safari etc is probably fine also, though Chrome itself increasingly resembles Malware to me. Probably best to get one of the forks with a bit more security and privacy built-in.

poppett
19-Sep-12, 22:39
I am a firefox gal, but thanks for the warning. Dad uses IE. Never liked it myself. Have Opera installed as a back up and it works fine too.