PDA

View Full Version : Too little.....Too late?

Corrie 3
19-Sep-12, 20:11
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19646731

Why do Politicians think it is ok just to say sorry and then hope everything will be ok?

This is a spineless, gutless Man who has just realised that by getting his 5 minutes of fame has done him and his party a lot of harm and if he thinks the voters will come flooding back just because he puts out a very weak "sorry" then he is more deluded than I first thought.
I was a LD supporter for many years but there is no way I will be going back to vote for such a two faced party and a Leader who has more faces than a Town Hall clock!!!

C3...............[disgust]

Alrock
19-Sep-12, 20:24
In this instance I must defend Cleggy. It's not like he had the power to do what he wanted, being in a coalition there had to be compromises & that is what he did, compromise....
Whether or not going into coalition was a good or bad idea is a separate argument completely, but if he hadn't he wouldn't of even been in a position to break his promise in the first place & we would have probably ended up with the same result anyway.

Corrie 3
19-Sep-12, 22:14
In this instance I must defend Cleggy. It's not like he had the power to do what he wanted, being in a coalition there had to be compromises & that is what he did, compromise....
Whether or not going into coalition was a good or bad idea is a separate argument completely, but if he hadn't he wouldn't of even been in a position to break his promise in the first place & we would have probably ended up with the same result anyway.
I think what makes him look even more stupid is that today he apologised not for failing on the pledge but for actually making the pledge in the first place!!!

C3.........:eek:

Alrock
19-Sep-12, 22:32
I think what makes him look even more stupid is that today he apologised not for failing on the pledge but for actually making the pledge in the first place!!!

C3.........:eek:

So... Basically... He needs to learn the art of... "Maybe", "Possibly", "Probably".... Never commit 100% even if you intend to, that way, if anything happens you can never be accused of lying.

RecQuery
19-Sep-12, 22:43

Most peoples problem with the coalition is that it seems decidedly one-sided, more like a rubber stamping mechanism for Conservative policies. The Conservatives propose a ludicrous policy then pretend the Liberal Democrats have talked them down into something more 'reasonable' and then pass the policy they wanted all along.

Corrie 3
20-Sep-12, 15:17
Yep, the Man is one big joke........... http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2012/09/20/nick-clegg-says-sorry-the-autotune-remix/

C3.

Corrie 3
21-Sep-12, 09:36
And another one having to say "Sorry"....... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19671093

This Guy is the true face of the Tories....Arrogant beyond belief!!!!!

C3.

tonkatojo
21-Sep-12, 09:51
And another one having to say "Sorry"....... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19671093

C3.

Yep yet another upper class wannabe caught out showing his true blue colours, the silence from ducati is deafening LOL.

ducati
21-Sep-12, 10:16
Yep yet another upper class wannabe caught out showing his true blue colours, the silence from ducati is deafening LOL.

:eek: The loud reports of polititians shooting themselves in the foot is hardly hot news :lol:

squidge
21-Sep-12, 10:24
Did you see Willie Rennie waving his piece of paper in the air last night on Newsnight Scotland? iIts said he had the words of the song written on them - I have heard that they all have to learn them before Sunday when it will be number one. [lol]

RecQuery
21-Sep-12, 12:19

C3.

Strange that he went for the class themed insult when others would seem more apparent. The story was originally from The Sun so I'm holding off judgement on this one.

Oddquine
21-Sep-12, 14:02
Strange that he went for the class themed insult when others would seem more apparent. The story was originally from The Sun so I'm holding off judgement on this one.

Even if you accept that he didn't swear/use class themed insults etc, he admitted himself that he was disrespectful...so he said something in words or tone that offended somebody enough to complain to the media....though, tbh, that is becoming the norm nowadays. I suppose we don't know the exact form of words used by the police officer to pull him up, but I'd be surprised if he forgot himself enough to be any more than a jobsworth enforcing the rules. Unfortunately the media nowadays don't do both sides of a story, but slant everything towards their current preferred bias.

I think that the people we pay to live the life of Riley and lord it over us have no right to be disrespectful to those who pay their wages..and that goes for all people/organisations funded by the taxpayer. But equally the taxpayer should not be disrespectful to all those being subsidised by him/her just because he/she thinks their tax input gives them that right, unless there is a good reason for the disrespect....and they do it politely.

Never thought that "do as you would be done by" was a bad concept by which to interact with others.

ducati
21-Sep-12, 17:33
There is a lesson here; if you are a glorified doorman and someone important ticks you off for being a nuisance, don't be an a-hole about it! [lol]

Oddquine
21-Sep-12, 18:41
There is a lesson here; if you are a glorified doorman and someone important ticks you off for being a nuisance, don't be an a-hole about it! [lol]

The lesson is that the someone important "at least in his/her own mind" can't break rules, however stupid he thinks they are, and however much they inconvenience him, simply because he/she is someone important "at least in his/her own mind".

The a-hole is the person who is offended by not getting off with something he shouldn't have been getting off with in the first place...not the person trying to get him to follow the rules..which appear to be that the main gates to access/egress Downing Street are opened as little as possible and the side gate used for pedestrians/cyclists.

If he had been someone like me or you on the streets of Wick disrespecting one of the local bobbies, particularly in front of witnesses, there would have been an arrest...so an apology for being an a-hole would appear to be getting off lightly.

ducati
21-Sep-12, 20:45
The lesson is that the someone important "at least in his/her own mind" can't break rules, however stupid he thinks they are, and however much they inconvenience him, simply because he/she is someone important "at least in his/her own mind".

The a-hole is the person who is offended by not getting off with something he shouldn't have been getting off with in the first place...not the person trying to get him to follow the rules..which appear to be that the main gates to access/egress Downing Street are opened as little as possible and the side gate used for pedestrians/cyclists.

If he had been someone like me or you on the streets of Wick disrespecting one of the local bobbies, particularly in front of witnesses, there would have been an arrest...so an apology for being an a-hole would appear to be getting off lightly.

Yes that's the point.....and....what happened to saying what you want to whoever you want? or doesn't that apply to Tory Chief Whips?

Oddquine
21-Sep-12, 22:32
Yes that's the point.....and....what happened to saying what you want to whoever you want? or doesn't that apply to Tory Chief Whips?

I don't think I have ever said that.....unless you interpret "do as you would be done by" as having that meaning..and if you do, that says more about your mindset than mine.

If you have a link to a post where I say that everyone should be able to say what they want to anyone they want, I'd appreciate a reminder....I could have sworn I generally qualify any opinion on freedom of speech with "within the law" (which is admittedly an ass....but one we kinda are required to work with).

If you have a link to anywhere I have said that it is just fine that the Tory Chief Whip didn't get charged under the Public Order Act, Section 5, as Joe Punter would likely have been, I'd appreciate a reminder of that as well.

If your response to my post is because, in your opinion, I have misinterpreted the post to which it was the reply..then perhaps a "lol" smilie doesn't help me to read your mind, or you to make your point. Unfortunately. I respond only to what I read in text...because I've been posting on forums for long enough to ignore smilies, as they are so often used by trolls producing one-liner posts to pretend that they are not trolling.

ducati
22-Sep-12, 08:03
I can't follow your posts. It's like you always misunderstand what you are reading.

Just follow up with, the careers of senior leaders are not in the hands of police federations.

And despite what you think or would like to believe, some people are more important (in the greater scheme) than some other people.

tonkatojo
22-Sep-12, 10:22
I can't follow your posts. It's like you always misunderstand what you are reading.

Just follow up with, the careers of senior leaders are not in the hands of police federations.

And despite what you think or would like to believe, some people are more important (in the greater scheme) than some other people.

That is a true definition of the tory moto.

squidge
22-Sep-12, 13:54
There is a lesson here;

There are several lessons here and most of them for the politician - some of which I learned as a child from my dad
1. Be nice to people. No matter who they are and no matter who YOU are.
2. No matter how important you THINK you are not everyone agrees
3. If you are rude, throw your weight around and insult people then you can expect to be talked about and people will think YOU are the "pleb"

Just follow up with, the careers of senior leaders are not in the hands of police federations.. thank goodness for that - however - the careers of politicians are - perhaps uniquely - in the hands of public opinion. It is maybe that fact that Andrew Mitchell has forgotten. If the Police federation reflect public opinion then he might find this a bit sticky. Also As Oddquine said - if you or I had spoken to a police officer like that we might very well have found ourselves arrested and that will rankle with some people as though he thinks he is better - not only that the police officer he insulted - but also the rest of us.

And despite what you think or would like to believe, some people are more important (in the greater scheme) than some other people. I would absolutely agree but I would suggest that being important does not give them the right to abuse the rest of us with impunity. If what is reported is correct - and there is always the possibility that it isnt - then he clearly sees himself as very important and deserving of some deference. That is actually what makes him no better than anyone and a lot worse than many.

Corrie 3
22-Sep-12, 14:18
The idiot wants to remember this.......................If the Police had opened the big gate because he is that so full of himself and a lorry full of terrorists had smashed their way through and gunned down everyone in Downing Street that day who would he have blamed?
And prey tell me, who on earth wants to still vote for the Tories when we have had first hand evidence of how they look down on the rest of Society?
It beggars belief, it really does and I can't understand why he still has a job this morning!!

C3.

ducati
22-Sep-12, 19:12
And yet, a metropolitan police officer can kill some random punter in full view of dozens of witnesses, and after a bloody good go at sweeping it under the carpet, they have only just fired him after over a year! Get some perspective folks. :roll:

Corrie 3
22-Sep-12, 19:29
And yet, a metropolitan police officer can kill some random punter in full view of dozens of witnesses, and after a bloody good go at sweeping it under the carpet, they have only just fired him after over a year! Get some perspective folks. :roll:
And that makes the Met full of Plebs does it Duke? How about the two WPC's who died this week,were they plebs as well??

Get real Man, The Tory's will be wanting these Plebs to safeguard their annual shindig next week, talk about two faced and arrogant!!

C3.

ducati
22-Sep-12, 19:31
And that makes the Met full of Plebs does it Duke? How about the two WPC's who died this week,were they plebs as well??

Get real Man, The Tory's will be wanting these Plebs to safeguard their annual shindig next week, talk about two faced and arrogant!!

C3.

The point was about who should lose their job and perspective. Or are you too busy frothing at the mouth to read?

Corrie 3
22-Sep-12, 20:30
Them point was about who should lose their job and perspective. Or are you too busy frothing at the mouth to read?
I think you will find that the Officer you are on about was tried in court and found not guilty, he wasn't fired for killing anyone.
Also, the public dont have a vote on who joins the Police but we do have a vote on who we want in Parliament and I just cannot understand why anyone would want to vote for a Man who is so full of his own importance and so far up his own backside he can see what he had for breakfast!!!

C3.

ducati
22-Sep-12, 20:52
I think you will find that the Officer you are on about was tried in court and found not guilty, he wasn't fired for killing anyone.
Also, the public dont have a vote on who joins the Police but we do have a vote on who we want in Parliament and I just cannot understand why anyone would want to vote for a Man who is so full of his own importance and so far up his own backside he can see what he had for breakfast!!!
C3.

Dry your eyes :Razz What was he fired for then?

ducati
22-Sep-12, 21:06

C3.

Hey! Don't call them Plebs, they don't like it.

Corrie 3
22-Sep-12, 21:13
Dry your eyes :Razz What was he fired for then?
Gross misconduct and it couldn't have been that much gross because he gets to keep his police pension!!
(And it will take a lot more than one of your posts to make my eyes water)!!!!

C3.

ducati
22-Sep-12, 21:25
Gross misconduct and it couldn't have been that much gross because he gets to keep his police pension!!

C3.

Yes this guy had to leave before, because of violent behaviour at a different force then the Met gave him a job and this happens. Maybe it's the abusee you are so concerned about that should dry his eyes.

Or maybe all the people in the past subjected to the Met's haressment and abuse for being Black, Asian, Gay or a women etc.
I really, really don't have any simpathy and I don't see what all the fuss is about.

One thing I'm pretty certain of though, this idiot of a copper won't be gracing the gates of Downing Street for very long now.

Corrie 3
22-Sep-12, 21:53
One thing I'm pretty certain of though, this idiot of a copper won't be gracing the gates of Downing Street for very long now.
And why wont she Duke? Is it because the Tory Chief Whip will be pulling a few strings? He already threatened her with her job if she didn't open the "Big gate" for him!! A right mardy Bum!!
(And what smart idiot has his left trouser bottom tucked into his sock when the chainwheel on the bike is on the right ?)!!!

C3.

ducati
22-Sep-12, 22:17
This thread is great. It's like chip carriers of the world UNITE!

Oddquine
22-Sep-12, 22:28
:roll:

C3.

Let' s be honest...it will take a lot more than one of ducati's posts to produce anything other than :roll:

gleeber
22-Sep-12, 22:33
:roll:

Let' s be honest...it will take a lot more than one of ducati's posts to produce anything other than :roll:
Other than what? :confused

Corrie 3
23-Sep-12, 01:12
Lets be honest here Duke, if he thinks that the police are plebs, I wonder what he thinks of mobile valeter's? In his eyes they must be the lowest of the low!! Just think of the rant if a spec of dirt was left on his car!!
(No chips here my friend, I just dont like people who think they are above themselves and think they have power when they haven't )!!
C3.

ducati
23-Sep-12, 08:31
Lets be honest here Duke, if he thinks that the police are plebs, I wonder what he thinks of mobile valeter's? In his eyes they must be the lowest of the low!! Just think of the rant if a spec of dirt was left on his car!!
(No chips here my friend, I just dont like people who think they are above themselves and think they have power when they haven't )!!
C3.

Actually Corrie, you probably don't know this. Mobile valeters are a secret society (we have coffee mornings and everything) that actually are the true rulers of the planet. We have fingers in many pies, and we are watching you. :eek:

Corrie 3
23-Sep-12, 09:06
Actually Corrie, you probably don't know this. Mobile valeters are a secret society (we have coffee mornings and everything) that actually are the true rulers of the planet. We have fingers in many pies, and we are watching you. :eek:
Fingers in many pies I can believe Duke, the rest?.....claptrap!!...lol

C3.

Corrie 3
23-Sep-12, 11:37
So now the truth comes out, after denying that he swore it now appears that he did. So now we can add liar to his list of Holier than thou credentials.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19690240

I suspect it wont be long before it emerges that he did use the word pleb and he did threaten the officer with the sack.
Cameron is doing himself no favours by keeping this Chimp in a job!!

C3.

ducati
23-Sep-12, 11:52
And anyway, if this officer can't handle a miffed middle aged MP on a bicycle (with his trousers tucked in the wrong sock) what are they going to do with the lorry load of angry terrorists? Definitely in the wrong job!

Oddquine
23-Sep-12, 20:36

Takes one to know one!

Oddquine
23-Sep-12, 20:44
And anyway, if this officer can't handle a miffed middle aged MP on a bicycle (with his trousers tucked in the wrong sock) what are they going to do with the lorry load of angry terrorists? Definitely in the wrong job!

Thing is, they are taught how to cope with terrorists, and not opening the main gates unnecessarily is a part of that coping...but are not taught how to schmooze self-important MPs who should know better....though they certainly should be, I agree, as there are so many self-important MPs.

ducati
23-Sep-12, 22:35
Takes one to know one!

What is this? A playground?

Oddquine
23-Sep-12, 23:15
What is this? A playground?

Given there are so many one-line posts pitched at the intelligence level of a 10 year old...you tell me.

Rheghead
24-Sep-12, 09:11
Given there are so many one-line posts pitched at the intelligence level of a 10 year old...you tell me.

I'm sure Alex Salmond is would love that as the referendum voting age.