PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help

Mr P Cannop
29-Jan-05, 23:34
will it be ok for me to leave my computer on all day ?? as i worry incase i burn my computer out

kwbrown111
30-Jan-05, 00:11
they say it is better to leave it on rather than switching off and on especially for the monitor

Rheghead
30-Jan-05, 00:26
I turn mine off after each time I use it, this is because I want to save electricity (approx 200W) and I estimate if there is any damage incurred with turning it off then I will have upgraded anyway.

EDDIE
30-Jan-05, 08:38
The only time i leave my computer on unattended is when i m downloading a big file I dont like doing it and have stopped doing it.I think its ok to leave it on all day if your watching over it but to leave it unattended all day on regular basis i wouldnt

Rheghead
30-Jan-05, 11:22
The other good reason to switch the machine off is that if you have inadvertantly downloaded a 'dialler' virus, then your computer may connect to a premium line without you knowing it. These things only connect when it has been left unattended for some time. I know!!!

Mr P Cannop
30-Jan-05, 11:25
would it not burn it self out if its left on all day ??

Rheghead
30-Jan-05, 11:27
If your fan is working then no

Mr P Cannop
30-Jan-05, 11:31
if the fan stops working that mean i need a new fan ??

thefan is ok just now as i have not left it on all day yet ??

Rheghead
30-Jan-05, 11:40
If you leave it on without using it, then you are wearing the bearings out in the fan needlessly thus increasing the chances of the fan breaking down.

You are best turning the machine off if you are worried about it overheating and using electricity. If you left it on you could be adding upto 50 pounds to your lecky bill, over 3 years that might save you enough cash to buy one of those TFT monitors.

Mr P Cannop
30-Jan-05, 11:45
i have got one of the TFT monitor

i weill turn it off for a short time then go back to it in about 15/20 mins that should be ok ??

Mr P Cannop
30-Jan-05, 12:01
so what ur saying allways turn it off ??

Julia
30-Jan-05, 12:03
I leave my pc on all day everyday (off at night if I remember), but I always switch off my monitor when I leave the pc to save power.

It's perfectly safe to leave it on all day.

Mr P Cannop
30-Jan-05, 12:07
hi julia when do you turn computer on and when do you turn it off ??

Julia
30-Jan-05, 12:22
It goes on about 9am and off really late at night. I never leave my monitor on though when I leave my pc.

Pc's are designed to be left on for long periods of time, servers are on permanently.

Mr P Cannop
30-Jan-05, 12:48
how do i set that up ??

screensaver with powersave ??

Mr P Cannop
30-Jan-05, 13:34
windows xp

karl
30-Jan-05, 13:40
some monitors shut down after ten minutes of in-activity, dont know if yours is one of those.
As for leaving your pc on for long periods, it will be fine, assuming you have not had any heat issues with it before. By heat i mean, no issues with your prosessor getting hot. my machines run 24/7. although they get a reboot every day or so if needed.

jjc
30-Jan-05, 17:25
I have nearly 100 servers at work that stay on all day, every day. None has ever caught fire and, hopefully, none ever will... but they have built in temperature sensors that will shut them down if they get too hot and the server rooms are well protected by fire suppression systems.

My PC at home doesn't have built in temperature sensors that shut down when it gets too hot and my study has no fire supression system. I have had two PCs 'die' because the fans failed. One of them just stank of burned circuitry, the other actually had flames coming from the back (fortunately I was sitting at it at the time and put it out).

If you’re lucky you can leave your PC on 24/7 and never have a problem. There are things you can do to increase your luck (buying quality hardware, locating the PC sensibly, buying a surge protector, etc.) but there’s still going to be a risk.

Personally, I leave my PC on when I’m likely to use it again soon. If I’m going out of the house I always turn it off. I turn it off when I’m going to bed. If I know I’m not going to use it again for several hours I turn it off.

Aside from the fact it’s simply a sensible precaution – I see no reason to leave my PC on all the time. If you really, genuinely need a PC to be turned on 24/7 there’s a very good chance that what you actually need is a server – so why not just turn it off when you aren’t using it?

~~Tides~~
30-Jan-05, 17:44
We always turn our computer off now since it caught fire just before we were going out to a funeral.

katarina
30-Jan-05, 19:09
I used to leave mine on, until once we haf thunder and lightening while I was out. It burnt out the modem.

kenimac1
30-Jan-05, 19:33
You should always use a surge protector with electronic equipment.

Riffman
31-Jan-05, 13:22
Dpending on how confident you are with computers, it would be worth going ito the BIOS and setting it to turn the PC off if the fan speed drops below XX RPM or if the CPU temp goes above XX ºC. I have all my computer set like this and they are perfectly safe. No chance of burning out. It is well worth giving the inside of the PC a clean from time to time as dust can block the fans. Also make sure that plenty of air can get round the PC, don't just dump it on the floor!! In fact, my Mini-ITX PC heats up less than the bought one!!

http://www.freewebs.com/books4all/pc.jpg

Just my two $0.02

Riffman

Rheghead
31-Jan-05, 17:47
Here is a conversation I had with a very rude customer service chap...

"Ridge Hall computer assistance; may I help you?"

"Yes, well, I'm having trouble with WordPerfect."

"What sort of trouble?"

"Well, I was just typing along, and all of a sudden the words went away."

"Went away?"

"They disappeared."

"Hmm. So what does your screen look like now?"

"Nothing." "Nothing?" "It's blank; it won't accept anything when I type."

"Are you still in WordPerfect, or did you get out?"

"How do I tell?" "Can you see the C: prompt on the screen?"

"What's a sea-prompt?"

"Never mind, can you move your cursor around the screen?"

"There isn't any cursor: I told you, it won't accept anything I type."

"Does your monitor have a power indicator?"

"What's a monitor?"

"It's the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV. Does it have a little light that tells you when it's on?"

"I don't know."

"Well, then look on the back of the monitor and find where the power cord goes into it. Can you see that?"

"Yes, I think so."

"Great. Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if it's plugged into the wall."

"Yes, it is."

"When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there were two cables plugged into the back of it, not just one?"

"No."

"Well, there are. I need you to look back there again and find the other cable."

"Okay, here it is."

"Follow it for me, and tell me if it's plugged securely into the back of your computer."

"I can't reach."

"Uh huh. Well, can you see if it is?"

"No."

"Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean way over?"

"Oh, it's not because I don't have the right angle -- it's because it's dark."

"Dark?"

"Yes, -the office light is off, and the only light I have is coming in from the window."

"Well, turn on the office light then."

"I can't."

"No? Why not?"

"Because there's a power failure."

"A power... A power failure? Aha, Okay, we've got it licked now. Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff your computer came in?"

"Well, yes, I keep them in the closet."

"Good. Go get them, and unplug your system and pack it up just like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you bought it from."

"Really? Is it that bad?"

"Yes, I'm afraid it is."

"Well, all right then, I suppose. What do I tell them?"

"Tell them you're too stupid to own a computer."

Since that rude conversation, I have managed to sort my own computer problems out... [lol]

apollo69
31-Jan-05, 18:40
Rheghead - somebody sent me that in an e-mail a couple of weeks ago, and I immediately thought of it when reading this thread! Didn't know if I'd get slaughtered for telling PC to take his pc back though!

Rheghead
31-Jan-05, 19:17
will it be ok for me to leave my computer on all day ?? as i worry incase i burn my computer out

I think it is fairly obvious from other people's experience is that there is an increased risk of fire with increased computer use.

I must be at higher risk than most...

George Brims
01-Feb-05, 09:54
Mr Rheghead, that conversation has been circulating for years. It was supposed to be either a Gateway or Dell support person, who ended up fired for a slight lack of computer support skills. I don't know if it is genuine or not. Perhaps the various Urban Legends sites will have checked it out. Funny either way. For several years I used to be woken in the night by astronomers sitting on a 14,000 foot mountain (it was my job, they weren't just doing it to pick on me!) hoping I could solve their computer problems. To understand what this was like, imagine a person with dementia or a drunk person calling the wrong number.

As for the computer leaving on question, Windows XP has good power saving options, so you can make the computer go into hibernation when you leave it alone too long, as well as turning the monitor off (actually down to a standby state where it's using a tiny amount of power).

Rheghead
01-Feb-05, 12:15
Think of it as a parody rather than a piece of plagiarism :D

01-Feb-05, 20:34
real helpdesks user descriptive call codes such I D 1 0 T - also see www.userfriendly.org for more geek culture hilarity..... :D

Mr P Cannop
01-Feb-05, 20:49
what has that got to do with computer help ??

01-Feb-05, 21:52
I declined to comment as I'm not interested....... but seeing as you ask . . . .
- I 've run several PC systems simultaneously over the last 15 years - all of these were networked using the current technology of the day, everything from serial & parallel cable, Novell, Lantastic, Lan Manager, WFW, etc etc...... NONE of these PCs were ever switched off - never. The monitors go to sleep as they should. All safe & sound.
My wee workshop has 8 PCs - a mixture of towers, mini-pcs (Shuttles), and laptops running various applications & operating systems - the only time they get switched off is when I pull the kit apart to test something. Even then they are only momentarily off. They dont get the chance to cool down.
As George has said, Win XP can be set to hibernate mode & that leaves innards cool. Modern motherboards have cooling technology built-in so that it can shutdown above a certain temperature.
In fact the only time a PC "died" on me was when it had been switched off for a considerable time and then switched back on again.
So my opinion based on my own experience over the years it to leave them switched on, but switch the monitors off 'cos they do generate a considerable amount of heat.
AND ....Place the PC at desk height & not on the floor where the "stoor" whirls about.
AND ....Put in a decent cooling fan and ingress / egress fans to keep whatever "stoor" there is whirling outside the case.

ajr
01-Feb-05, 23:02
get yourself a good anti virus package, good firewall and a surge protector for power sockets and phone line. As long as you heat sink on the processor and fan are working leave it on all year if you want! It'll cause no harm except to the environment!!

I turn mine on in the morning (or when I get home from work) and off before I go to bed at night but not every time I walk out the room.

Zael
02-Feb-05, 13:06
It should also be mentioned that when the PC is running in sleep mode its using about the same electricity as a relatively low wattage light bulb. Only when you sitting in front of it, copying files about your hard drive, with a CD burning whilst playing the latest directx game at 1600x1200 with all options on, with your fancy GF6800 (or bigger) will you be using anything like the maximum output of your power supply.

Most power supplies I've seen over the last year or so are about the 350watt mark but hardly every have to push that much juice into your pc. Surge protection is a must for sure as are quiet cooling fans and speed control for your fans. My fans are a bit noisy atm although the motherboard does have control and slows em down if the PC is cool enough. However, it can sound a bit like a harrier jet hovering in the corner when I start up a newish game and the cpu and gfx card heat up :/

If your pc is sitting on the floor, it will sound quieter from your desk but will as has been said, sook up loads of dust from the floor. I usually take the hoover (with the pointy attachment) over the air intakes when I'm cleaning up and that gets rid of most of it. If you're inside your pc for any reason (upgrades etc) then I recommend a soft paintbrush (or makeup brush) to give things a quick dust, combined with a can of "Air Duster" (compressed air) you can keep things pretty dust free. One thing to remember about dust inside electrical things, dust is one of the reasons components heat up and fail (especially capacitors) so keeping the dust out can help you prolong the life of things like your PC, your monitor etc etc.