PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Ice melted to its lowest level in 2012 and a record low.

Rheghead
19-Sep-12, 19:46
Arctic ice has melted to its smallest extent of the year and a new record beating the record low of 2007. Some scientists are predicting that there is a real possibility that the Arctic will be completely ice-free within a decade.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012-seaicemin.html

PantsMAN
19-Sep-12, 21:00
Come on folks - fill up that ice-cube tray.

Every little helps...

Alrock
19-Sep-12, 21:16
Look on the bright side....
Probably loads of oil there which will now be accessible...

Corrie 3
19-Sep-12, 21:18
Look on the bright side....
Probably loads of oil there which will now be accessible...
Lol, just made me spit my tea out Alrock!!!

C3.............:):lol:

Wizzbang
19-Sep-12, 21:46
Great! Then we can concentrate on melting the other end.... Better get my wellies out,

Green_not_greed
20-Sep-12, 19:07
Arctic ice has melted to its smallest extent of the year and a new record beating the record low of 2007. Some scientists are predicting that there is a real possibility that the Arctic will be completely ice-free within a decade.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012-seaicemin.html

So is the sea a record high ????? Any data on sea level change ?????

Rheghead
20-Sep-12, 19:21
So is the sea a record high ????? Any data on sea level change ?????

Certainly yearly fluctuations notwithstanding, the sea levels are going up, looking at the data, the overall trend appears like ~4mm per year and the rate seems to be increasing.

Acer
21-Sep-12, 13:36
The Arctic sea ice is already floating on the sea. If it melts the sea level will not change.

ducati
21-Sep-12, 15:21
The Arctic sea ice is already floating on the sea. If it melts the sea level will not change.

Back to skool for you sunshine. Unless you were sick that day.

Acer
21-Sep-12, 18:21
Archimedes principle: Upward buoyant force = Weight of fluid displaced
The ice is floating (sea ice) therefore: weight of water displaced = weight of ice
Therefore mass of ice = mass of water displaced.
Mass of liquid water produced by melting ice = mass of ice. Therefore:
Mass of water produced by melting ice = mass of water originally displaced by ice. Therefore water level does not change.

ducati
21-Sep-12, 20:49
Archimedes principle: Upward buoyant force = Weight of fluid displaced
The ice is floating (sea ice) therefore: weight of water displaced = weight of ice
Therefore mass of ice = mass of water displaced.
Mass of liquid water produced by melting ice = mass of ice. Therefore:
Mass of water produced by melting ice = mass of water originally displaced by ice. Therefore water level does not change.

or, maybe I was sick that day. What about the 30metres thickness of Snow Ice on the Land? oh' and the Glaciers?

joxville
22-Sep-12, 00:31
or, maybe I was sick that day. What about the 30metres thickness of Snow Ice on the Land? oh' and the Glaciers? We can stick giant compressors in them to keep them permanently frozen and build a wall to hold back the glaciers. Jobs a good 'un. :-)

joxville
22-Sep-12, 00:38
Archimedes principle: Upward buoyant force = Weight of fluid displacedThe ice is floating (sea ice) therefore: weight of water displaced = weight of iceTherefore mass of ice = mass of water displaced.Mass of liquid water produced by melting ice = mass of ice. Therefore:Mass of water produced by melting ice = mass of water originally displaced by ice. Therefore water level does not change.Don't you dare come on here and talk sense, don't you know this forum is run along supposition, theories, lies, opinion polls and statistics? I wouldn't be surprised to see a pic of you having been lynched by the green supporters who's argument is based on rising sea levels. Now please leave the forum quietly. ;-)

roadbowler
22-Sep-12, 15:57
Certainly yearly fluctuations notwithstanding, the sea levels are going up, looking at the data, the overall trend appears like ~4mm per year and the rate seems to be increasing. appears? according to whom?See and listen here for some Sea Level Basics.http://itsrainmakingtime.com/2010/nilsaxelmorner/ why do all these articles fail to mention that Antartica is seeing an INCREASE in sea ice extent every year for the past 30 years? And really, that is all it is. 30 years of data there and the Arctic. Hardly scientific to be taking 30 years of data too seriously in the grand scheme of things is it? Especially since it is documented that the Arctic has gone through near ice free periods in the past well before the industrial revolution.

Rheghead
23-Sep-12, 16:54
appears? according to whom?See and listen here for some Sea Level Basics.http://itsrainmakingtime.com/2010/nilsaxelmorner/ why do all these articles fail to mention that Antartica is seeing an INCREASE in sea ice extent every year for the past 30 years? And really, that is all it is. 30 years of data there and the Arctic. Hardly scientific to be taking 30 years of data too seriously in the grand scheme of things is it? Especially since it is documented that the Arctic has gone through near ice free periods in the past well before the industrial revolution.

And don't you find that even scarier from a climate change perspective? The sea level is rising 4mm per year and yet there is enough water precipitation falling on Antactica to cause an increase in ice? I don't know how you go from an increase in ice over to antarctica to casting doubt over whether sea levels are rising. Some leap.

btw, Dr. Nils-Axel Mörner also believes in the power of dowsing yet there is no scientific proof that it works.

secrets in symmetry
23-Sep-12, 17:01
Hippy chicks don't use logic Rheghead, they make up their own rubbish and post it willy nilly. Their only requirement is that their rubbish fits their lunatic beliefs.

Green_not_greed
23-Sep-12, 20:03
Certainly yearly fluctuations notwithstanding, the sea levels are going up, looking at the data, the overall trend appears like ~4mm per year and the rate seems to be increasing.

Given http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/christopherbooker/5067351/Rise-of-sea-levels-is-the-greatest-lie-ever-told.html and similar stories I'm just wondering where your 4mm a year figure came from????? And the "fact" that its increasing..... "Looking at the data..." - which data, please ???

Thanks

roadbowler
23-Sep-12, 21:05
am I getting an echo off rheggies arse pimple? whats wrong secrets, has someone interrupted your programming? woulda thought you'd had nils round for tea by now like the rest o your scientist acquaintances! LMAO. Y'tosser.Aye. Show us the money rheggie instead of bleat, bleat off the green agenda song sheet a the time! :)

roadbowler
23-Sep-12, 21:18
btw, Dr. Nils-Axel Mörner also believes in the power of dowsing yet there is no scientific proof that it works.smart man. We don't have (complete) scientific proof secrets is a complete toss yet, we all know it's true. There's no scientific PROOF sea levels are rising yet, you not only believe it... You pontificate on the subject as if it were FACT, because it suits your programming. What's your point?

secrets in symmetry
23-Sep-12, 21:27
Given http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/christopherbooker/5067351/Rise-of-sea-levels-is-the-greatest-lie-ever-told.html and similar stories I'm just wondering where your 4mm a year figure came from????? And the "fact" that its increasing..... "Looking at the data..." - which data, please ???

ThanksLol! Quoting Christopher Booking's opinions on rising sea levels is like quoting Josef Mengele on war crimes! :cool:

Rheghead
23-Sep-12, 21:40
Lol! Quoting Christopher Booking's opinions on rising sea levels is like quoting Josef Mengele on war crimes! :cool:

Yes agreed, he claimed that asbestos was chemically identical to talcum powder! face/palm

secrets in symmetry
23-Sep-12, 21:49
Yes agreed, he claimed that asbestos was chemically identical to talcum powder! face/palmI'd forgotten about that lol!

BTW some American hippy chicks are actually worth listening to. There's one I used to know from Champaign-Urbana who was as bright as a button. She taught me a lot of what I know about Climate Science. I also learned a lot from a red-haired red-necked southern gal. :cool:

roadbowler
23-Sep-12, 21:55
Yes agreed, he claimed that asbestos was chemically identical to talcum powder! face/palmscience is furthering on the org. This thread is becoming a documented real world scenario scientific study of symbiotic relationships and echolocation between two arse pimples. I feel a thesis coming on shortly.

Rheghead
23-Sep-12, 21:58
science is furthering on the org. This thread is becoming a documented real world scenario scientific study of symbiotic relationships and echolocation between two arse pimples. I feel a thesis coming on shortly.

Instead of posting in an abusive manner, perhaps you can post something more constructive? A post that somehow refutes what we are saying that comes from a proper scientific source? :roll:

secrets in symmetry
23-Sep-12, 22:00
There was another hippy chick from Colorado - but she was English originally, does she count lol?

Angel
23-Sep-12, 22:20
Is there more ice on water or on land?

Angel...

roadbowler
23-Sep-12, 22:20
I wouldn't say anything here I wouldn't say to you in lets say the local pub if you were expounding the same rubbish in there.. Except, I'm a lot nicer here! :) and a damn sight nicer than the pair of you who treat those who dissent from your global warming propganda like moronic children.i HAVE refuted your crap and so has someone that knows a HELL of a lot about sea level issues than you or I! Like usual. You have nothing besides dowsing ridicule. Cheap and misinformed. like usual. And a good reminder why I don't drop in here often! :)

Rheghead
23-Sep-12, 22:25
I wouldn't say anything here I wouldn't say to you in lets say the local pub if you were expounding the same rubbish in there.. Except, I'm a lot nicer here! :) and a damn sight nicer than the pair of you who treat those who dissent from your global warming propganda like moronic children.i HAVE refuted your crap and so has someone that knows a HELL of a lot about sea level issues than you or I! Like usual. You have nothing besides dowsing ridicule. Cheap and misinformed. like usual. And a good reminder why I don't drop in here often! :)

Again you have failed to come up with a convincing case that sea levels aren't rising.

Rheghead
23-Sep-12, 22:29
Is there more ice on water or on land?

Angel...

What do you think? I'd say on land since Antarctica & Greenland is much larger than the Arctic.

secrets in symmetry
23-Sep-12, 22:34
Again you have failed to come up with a convincing case that sea levels aren't rising.She's the same in the pub Rheghead. She shouts at people when she's proved wrong, and when other people know more than she does - which is most of the time.

She was really quite cute when she was younger, and the more she shouted the cuter she got. I would have gone for a walk on the beach with her any day. :cool:

roadbowler
23-Sep-12, 22:44
Again you have failed to come up with a convincing case that sea levels aren't rising.I don't have a case. nils does. And Nils has been at this game a LOT longer than you've been reading about it in the guardian. Refute Nils please. Bring us hard evidence he is wrong if not.... Quit with the arctic is melting, we're all doomed crap. 30 years of data means NOTHING. You tried this crap with scaremongering about Iceland's volcanoes which you know nothing about. It's annoying to be frank.i'm getting an echo again. Hear that?

Rheghead
23-Sep-12, 22:50
I don't have a case. nils does. And Nils has been at this game a LOT longer than you've been reading about it in the guardian. Refute Nils please. Bring us hard evidence he is wrong if not.... Quit with the arctic is melting, we're all doomed crap. 30 years of data means NOTHING. You tried this crap with scaremongering about Iceland's volcanoes which you know nothing about. It's annoying to be frank.i'm getting an echo again. Hear that?

He was challenged to pick up £million dollars if he could prove that dowsing was real beyond all scientific doubt, he refused. If you were sooo sure, would you have done the same??? I mean, it was his for the taking, a £million dollars ffs?

roadbowler
23-Sep-12, 23:09
is that the best you've got? i'm aff to bed. Bring us something better tomorrow please. Something plausible, something that resembles a good argument, G'nite.

Green_not_greed
24-Sep-12, 12:17
He was challenged to pick up £million dollars if he could prove that dowsing was real beyond all scientific doubt, he refused. If you were sooo sure, would you have done the same??? I mean, it was his for the taking, a £million dollars ffs?

This thread isn't about dowsing, its about ice melting and its attibuted contribution to rising sea levels. This is the usual deflection tactics that I've seen too many time on the org. Please let us all know which data you are referring to which shows a 4mm rise in sea levels per year and predicts an increased rate in future. Thanks.

Rheghead
24-Sep-12, 13:49
This thread isn't about dowsing, its about ice melting and its attibuted contribution to rising sea levels. This is the usual deflection tactics that I've seen too many time on the org. Please let us all know which data you are referring to which shows a 4mm rise in sea levels per year and predicts an increased rate in future. Thanks.

This thread is just about arctic ice melting, it isn't about sea level rise but roadbowler tried to cast doubt on the integrity of the science behind observed sea levels rise, he quoted an article by this guy Nils, I simply responded that cast great doubt on the integrity of his source. If he can't support his wacky views on dowsing with proper evidence, why should we take him seriously on sea levels? That is the great problem with the blogosphere etc, the layperson (including me btw) is finding it very hard to tell the difference between junk science and the science of proper institutions who actually are doing the research. It is a case of reader beware.

http://sealevel.colorado.edu/

JoeSoap
24-Sep-12, 14:11
It's really not that difficult to find reputable references to support the fact that sea levels are rising. The IPCC reported five years ago (http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_data/ar4/wg1/en/faq-5-1.html) that sea levels had been rising by ~3mm per year since 1993 and they projected that this rate would increase to ~4mm per year (though not quite yet).

Seems to me though that the melting of the arctic sea ice has worse consequences than water levels rising. The resulting desalination will have wide ranging effects not only directly on marine life but also on the flow of crucial currents (such as the gulf stream). Moreover, desalination reduces the ocean's ability to act as a carbon sink. Combine that with the huge loss of albedo as the ice stops reflecting sunlight and the problem just compounds itself until we reach a tipping point.

I'm afraid I don't have much time for climate change deniers. To my mind, the only positive contribution you make is to provide amusing caricatures for cartoonists (http://climateandenergy.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/534-091207usatc-slideshow_main-prod_affiliate-80.jpg?w=480&h=320)...

Angel
24-Sep-12, 22:10
No-one has mentioned that the antartic ice is getting bigger... would this compensate anything...

Angel...

Rheghead
24-Sep-12, 22:15
No-one has mentioned that the antartic ice is getting bigger... would this compensate anything...

Angel...

You haven't been reading the thread.

secrets in symmetry
28-Sep-12, 23:29
It's really not that difficult to find reputable references to support the fact that sea levels are rising. The IPCC reported five years ago (http://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_data/ar4/wg1/en/faq-5-1.html) that sea levels had been rising by ~3mm per year since 1993 and they projected that this rate would increase to ~4mm per year (though not quite yet).

Seems to me though that the melting of the arctic sea ice has worse consequences than water levels rising. The resulting desalination will have wide ranging effects not only directly on marine life but also on the flow of crucial currents (such as the gulf stream). Moreover, desalination reduces the ocean's ability to act as a carbon sink. Combine that with the huge loss of albedo as the ice stops reflecting sunlight and the problem just compounds itself until we reach a tipping point.

I'm afraid I don't have much time for climate change deniers. To my mind, the only positive contribution you make is to provide amusing caricatures for cartoonists (http://climateandenergy.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/534-091207usatc-slideshow_main-prod_affiliate-80.jpg?w=480&h=320)...I was going to welcome you to the forum Joe - until I realised you've been here longer than me....

It's good to have another climate-change-sane person around - there ain't many of us in these parts. Most of them are climate-insane - which is a scarier concept than a fresh poo in a deadly tornado....