PDA

View Full Version : Dounreay PFR rusting?

Rheghead
08-Dec-06, 22:22
I was talking to a chap who has a managerial position with one of the contractors that is clearing up the radio-activity in the listed PFR, and he said that it will be rusted beyond repair before it will be decontaminated so it can't be protected. The saltwater spray is rusting it faster than it can be repaired apparently. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Personally I'd like to see it go, it is a blight on the landscape imho.

Bobbyian
08-Dec-06, 22:31
do you mean the "Ball" is a goner

jinglejangle
08-Dec-06, 22:48
I was talking to a chap who has a managerial position with one of the contractors that is clearing up the radio-activity in the listed PFR, and he said that it will be rusted beyond repair before it will be decontaminated so it can't be protected. The saltwater spray is rusting it faster than it can be repaired apparently. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

i would worry if the manager got confused between DFR and PFR - DFR is the ball which is listed - don't think PFR is listed.

check with the manager in case he is decommissioning the wrong building :Razz

Rheghead
09-Dec-06, 00:14
i would worry if the manager got confused between DFR and PFR - DFR is the ball which is listed - don't think PFR is listed.

check with the manager in case he is decommissioning the wrong building :Razz

It is probably me that I've got mixed up with my Ps and Ds, I thought PFR was the ball? It was the ball anyway.:)

changilass
09-Dec-06, 02:57
Jees you had me worried there Rheggers, hubby works in Pfr, thought for a minute ther I would have to find a new job for him:lol:

bobsgirl
09-Dec-06, 11:06

I like driving out that way and seeing 'The Ball'

One of the kids got an atlas out of the Library and at the top of it, it showed a picture of Dounreay with 'The Ball'.

First time I had ever seen something like this with a good reference to the North of Scotland and something which is very local to us on it!

engiebenjy
09-Dec-06, 11:09
It is probably me that I've got mixed up with my Ps and Ds, I thought PFR was the ball? It was the ball anyway.:)
DFR is the ball, and PFR is the big building next to Vulcan

Through
09-Dec-06, 12:29
I find it rather unlikely that the ball is rusting and about to collapse. There may be some misinformation about, since the authorities would now appear to want not to have to care and maintain the Great White Ball of Caithness.

To think that we could lose it causes a pang in me for one. It gives us a little something other places don't have.

A few years ago, we took a drive out that way and my youngest asked what that big ball thing was. I felt so guilty at her lack of knowledge, especially since I worked at Dounreay for several years.

scotsboy
09-Dec-06, 15:48
It was and should still be painted on a routine basis, I find it hard to believe that it is in such a poor state of repair........looked not too bad the last time I saw it close up, which was only about 5-6 years ago.

zappster
09-Dec-06, 16:18
when i was a prent i worked in it & it was a rust bucket back then!!(1990!)

scotsboy
09-Dec-06, 16:22
The actual sphere Zapster? I agree a lot of the buildings, ductwork, stack etc around the sphere were in a poor state but not the sphere itself........but I could be wrong.

Doolally
09-Dec-06, 18:03
Showing yer age now Zappy!!