PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me .....

highland red
17-Sep-12, 14:59
What this is? I filmed it from Thurso, on a very calm day. I had previously seen it through my binoculars and there was no sign of a vessel of any kind there.

I also filmed another one further to the west. I have only included this one so you have a reference point.

I have not seen anything like this since. I know I stand to make myself look an idiot here, but I've shown it to several local people who cannot help.

It is best viewed on full screen mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhYekNgs6-4&feature=plcp

Connor.
17-Sep-12, 17:01
It could be literally anything from a giant downed weather balloon to something that fell off a ship.

I've come across many a strange (and large) objects that have been washed up on the beach.

highland red
17-Sep-12, 17:12
I honestly don't think so. There was another one much further to the left of the bay, which appeared to be two white things. I also got a "still" photo that I've blown up and it actually looks like a waterfall cascading down a wave in two columns. As I said I had powerful binoculars on it before I got my camera and it didn't appears as a solid thing at all.

Rheghead
17-Sep-12, 18:00
Looks like one of those inflatable water walkers to me. Looks like good fun if you've got the nerve.

annemarie482
17-Sep-12, 18:16
its only a short clip but how long was it there for? if only for the length of the clip, could be an orca blowing? does seem to be cascading....

highland red
17-Sep-12, 19:01
its only a short clip but how long was it there for? if only for the length of the clip, could be an orca blowing? does seem to be cascading....

The cascading thing is spot on. I don't know if there were any Orcas around, as that's precisely why I usually have my camera and binocs (all in vain as I haven't seen any yet). These "things" were there for longer than I filmed. As I say, I only uploaded this clip to Youtube because it was short, as I thought that there would be a very simple explanation from one of our knowledgeable local people. I'll have a look for the other clip, although from memory I had trouble finding it using the wee screen on my camera. Thanks for the reply.

highland red
17-Sep-12, 19:25
I've uploaded the other clip: apologies for not being able to get the object centred easily. It was because I couldn't see the digital screen on the camera and there isn't a conventional viewfinder. I did just check what time this was, as I thought it might be "Hamnavoe", but it's timed at 12:56:58 so I shouldn't think so.
HR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j639Ao7nwk

soulsurfer
17-Sep-12, 20:48
It's the Kraken!!!

annemarie482
17-Sep-12, 21:33
It's the Kraken!!!

Lol

Or the flying Dutchman arising!

dandod
18-Sep-12, 14:33
Could it possibly be a small whirlwind or waterspout

highland red
18-Sep-12, 15:03
Could it possibly be a small whirlwind or waterspout

My O/H said that, but she was with me and it was a beautiful cloudless day. (and we haven't had too many of those this year).

I really expected someone with maritime experience to come on here and just say "oh yes it's so and so".

RecQuery
18-Sep-12, 16:04
I for one welcome our new alien and/or deep sea overlords. Ai Dagon! Ai Hydra!. Praise be to Cthulhu. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Seriously though, it could be anything. It's hard to be more specific given the distance and the quality of the video.