At the earliest opportunity, I said, "No thanks."

He said, "No thanks to what Sir?"

I said, "Whatever it is you're selling."

"We're not selling anything Sir, but we'll be in your area next week."

"No thanks.

"That's all right Sir, I'll call you back tomorrow."

"You shouldn't do that, because I'll report you."

"I'll call you back in the early hours Sir."

He's now been reported to BT, if that's worth anything.

Bobinovich
08-Dec-06, 19:22
Just had a call too! We've had them call before so our standard reply now is "We've talked to your people before and have asked to be removed from your calling list. Please remove us and don't call again."

They soon said bye!

Buttercup
08-Dec-06, 19:32
These "Ideal Home" people are a real pain. I've been with telephone preference for years but still get hassled by them. Last time I told them I was registered with TPS and that they'd no right to be calling this number and they accused me of being rude! [mad]

Murdina Bug
08-Dec-06, 19:32
Yes, I had them earlier too. I stopped them with "are you about to ask how old my house is and how long the kitchen has been installed?" When she said yes I told her goodbye. We have had them call at least 4 times before and I never remember to say that we are on the telephone preference list!

colmac
08-Dec-06, 19:47
We just tell them that we are tenants. They only want to speak to the home owner and hang up quite quick if they think they can't get any money out of you! [lol]

footie chick
08-Dec-06, 20:08
I put my 2 year old on the phone who kept on telling them that he was watching bob the builder, they hung up pretty fast from now on every international call that comes through I'll pass the phone to him [lol]

The TPS doesn't seem to stop the calls from outwith the UK

WeeBurd
08-Dec-06, 22:01
I had a run in with this lot, whilst in MammaBurd's house today. Ended up asking the cheeky runt on the end of the phone, for his Manager's name and number to report him, and, as everyone else, to complain about being registered with TPS. He actually told me to stop talking to him like he was a child. Seething, I was, seething [lol] !!

peedie
08-Dec-06, 22:09
i had a very witty moment with a telephone salesman not long after i moved down here. he was selling conservatories. and obviously little thought had been put into where they were phoning, i let him do his sales pitch said i was interested. he said he would send someone round. he sounded very enthusiastic, until i explained once they got here they'd have to press the 3rd button on the buzzer because we were in a 2nd floor flat[lol]

Scunner
08-Dec-06, 23:13
had them on a couple of times. First time I told them the house was 150 years old and so was the kitchen. They believed me and a salesman was on the phone within minutes, and wouldn't get off, promising me a free kitchen quote and tea and cakes, and goodness knows what else. After telling him a lot of rubbish he still wouldn't give up, so I had to be rude and hang up.

They pay for the call, so it costs me nothing, and they seem unable to see that you're winding them up

changilass
09-Dec-06, 06:56
I just say 'sorry not interested thank you' and put the phone down, they tend not to call back - thank goodness

Lolabelle
09-Dec-06, 07:05
We seem to have a stack of telemarketers at the moment trying to sell you a better internet provider or phone services, or home loan and then there is the ones wanting donations. Our phone is used for business and I am sick of it being clogged with unsolicited callers trying to sell or get something from me.
So now, I either hang up straight away with no response at all, or tell the ones wanting donations that we already contribute to a number of charities and are not looking to change or increase our donations. And then I hang up. I do contribute to quite a few funds and I hate someone trying to put a guilt trip on me.

canuck
09-Dec-06, 07:13
Good morning Lolabelle. You must be on your morning coffee break! It is still yesterday here because I haven't gone to bed yet. Popular in the phone solicitation department in Canada are people selling windows and furnace duct cleaning. We have a big thing about upgrading windows to keep out the cold more efficiently. And we need to keep the air ducts clean. Apparently it means less dusting. I admit, I am all for less dusting, but the callers do drive you crazy.

Lolabelle
09-Dec-06, 07:21
Hello back to you, it seems the way of the world now. There is hardly any need for one on one these days.
Between the internet and phones, we barely need to leave our houses. And we can all have friends on the org and never have any face to face...
But I hope not. :~(

Lolabelle
09-Dec-06, 07:26
It is Sat afternoon here, hot and lousy bush fire weather.
But I think a cool change is on the way.:)

engiebenjy
09-Dec-06, 11:12
The TPS works great on companies in the UK, but unfortunately has little or no control over companies based abroad. It only works if the 'parent' company is UK based, and subscribes to the TPS.

whatsherface
09-Dec-06, 12:39
The TPS covers all companies registered within the UK regardless where their call centres are based.
I reported Ideal Homes earlier on this week after I received a call from them. The caller seemed to be dialling numbers at random.

sharon
10-Dec-06, 00:41
one day a freind was visiting and she had one of these calls on her mobile, and she just said in a calm voice i am sorry i thought it was someone else, as i am just about to give birth so i cant talk now...... i wouldn't be able to say it for laughing[lol]

Through
10-Dec-06, 12:43
one day a freind was visiting and she had one of these calls on her mobile, and she just said in a calm voice i am sorry i thought it was someone else, as i am just about to give birth so i cant talk now...... i wouldn't be able to say it for laughing[lol]

Nice one Sharon, but I wouldn't get away with that one.