PDA

View Full Version : Rat poison

secrets in symmetry
13-Sep-12, 23:24
Is there anywhere in Caithness I can buy extra strong rat poison in bulk, or should I bring some up with me?

Dadie
13-Sep-12, 23:26
CLB?
.......just a thought ....
What for...
have you a rat problem or another problem?

secrets in symmetry
13-Sep-12, 23:30
I hadn't thought of CLB. Thanks Dadie. :cool:

Yes, rats, lots of them - horrible wee (well, big!) beasties!

Dadie
13-Sep-12, 23:41
Could get a cat....but they dont work unless underfed...or a terrier.....
Either way they both can be trained not to like certain people too ....so a gain gain senario!:D

annemarie482
14-Sep-12, 00:11
Allans of gillock do the stuff for killing moles, you have to sign for it so I reckon that's probably like the stuff your after?

secrets in symmetry
14-Sep-12, 08:06
Does mole poison kill rats as well as rat poison does?

The rats look bigger than most cats!

annemarie482
14-Sep-12, 08:17
I would think so?
That fact you have to sign for it as it can kill humans would suggest so.
I dare say it'd just come down to the amount you use?

ducati
14-Sep-12, 10:50
I thought you were some kind of scientist. You can't get rid of rats by killing them. You have to change the environment.

Corrie 3
14-Sep-12, 11:18
I thought you were some kind of scientist.
Don't get taken in by that one Duke!!!

C3........[disgust]

secrets in symmetry
15-Sep-12, 00:58
I would think so?
That fact you have to sign for it as it can kill humans would suggest so.
I dare say it'd just come down to the amount you use?I have no idea, but thanks for the suggestion. :cool:

I thought you were some kind of scientist. You can't get rid of rats by killing them. You have to change the environment.Yes, I'm a scientist, but not a mole or rat scientist lol.

I'm good at getting rid of rats. I poison them and carefully dispose of any carcasses that are left locally. Then I annihilate the rat-friendly properties of the environment. :cool:

sids
15-Sep-12, 08:37
Allans of gillock do the stuff for killing moles, you have to sign for it so I reckon that's probably like the stuff your after?

I may be out of date, but mole poison used to be strychnine. It can kill more or less any animal, including humans. It is long lasting, so any bait is a risk for as long as you leave it. It can have effects down through a food chain. Carcasses of rats killed by strychnine can be poisonous enough to kill your dog or cat.

In the case of moles, there is less risk because they are expected to die underground.

One reason they make you sign for it is its efficacy as a murder weapon.

secrets in symmetry
15-Sep-12, 14:58
I thought it was illegal to use strychnine as a poison nowadays.

I could try shooting the rats, but they move quickly and the rest would get away.

sids
15-Sep-12, 15:35
I thought it was illegal to use strychnine as a poison nowadays.

Yes, looks like it. No surprise.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1543473/Molecatchers-told-to-stop-using-strychnine.html

Wonder what it is that you have to sign for in Allans'.

billmoseley
15-Sep-12, 16:50
have your thought of advertising for a pied piper i hear they are be pretty affect with rats

secrets in symmetry
15-Sep-12, 17:01
Maybe I should invite the pipe band over to play. The noise they make might scare the rats away!

pig whisperer
15-Sep-12, 18:49
regarding CATS as rat & mouse hunters, a neutered WELL FED female hunts for fun & will be more efficient than some poor half starved creature

secrets in symmetry
15-Sep-12, 19:04
I don't have time to train a cat. These rats need to be annihilated right now!

Rheghead
15-Sep-12, 19:22
I watched on discovery channel that a thick brew of honey, milk and flyagaric mushroom was used before commercial rat poisons.

Fidelis
15-Sep-12, 20:04
No, I think you will find there's plenty here already!

pig whisperer
15-Sep-12, 20:45
Cats dont need to b trained, it comes naturally. you might find some one on the org has a terrier who may come & de- rat yor property

Corrie 3
15-Sep-12, 23:02
Is there anywhere in Caithness I can buy extra strong rat poison in bulk, or should I bring some up with me?
Just take some down there and it will save you a trip coming up!!!

C3.

secrets in symmetry
15-Sep-12, 23:05
Cats dont need to b trained, it comes naturally. you might find some one on the org has a terrier who may come & de- rat yor propertyI'll maybe try that. Thanks.

secrets in symmetry
23-Sep-12, 17:25
I couldn't find any dead rats as of this morning, but there have been no sightings for a few days either. :cool:

billmoseley
23-Sep-12, 18:49
they are still there slowly but surely planning against you. they will become resistant to the poison and become super rats

secrets in symmetry
23-Sep-12, 21:30
Rats don't scare me. I scare them. You can see this everywhere I go on this forum. :cool: